Brakes Front Disc Brake Noise/Rattle

Snoop

Local time
6:57 AM
Hi all,

So I’ve been having this noise coming from my front disc brake, and it seems to be getting louder. My bike is a 2-3 month old Aventon Pace 500 Next Gen.

The best I can describe is a clunky higher pitched rattle, but I’ve attached a video link below which pretty well represents it.

The brake is “Tektro.”

92BD28E0-16BA-4BC6-86D6-BECF496193B0.jpeg

I seem to have good stopping power.

Today I propped the bike up on my stand, wiped the discs down very well with 90% isopropyl alcohol, and re-centered the pad calipers using a technique I learned on YouTube (remember I’m a newbie). This entailed loosening the caliper frame mounting bolts, squeezing the brake, retightening the bolts, and then releasing the brake.

This might of helped a little, but not much.

Here is the video:

Any thoughts about what the problem is, or what I should try next would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

Pull the pads and inspect them along with the disc. I've had small pieces of grit get lodged in between the pad and disc. Take it apart, clean and inspect it, put it back together and test it. The pads I use are designed to make noise when they are getting close to wearing out.

sounds like yur spokes are being ripped out :eek:

Could be 1 piston isnt working fully and the other pushes the rotor into the caliper?

Thanks!

I don’t see any rubbing marks on the calipers. By the naked eye, it looks like each piston is driving a pad but I’ll try to get a closer look.

I‘ll also see if I can find anything by pulling the pads out and inspecting them. I’ve never done that before, but it looks like mine are held in by a cotter pin, so I should be able to figure it out . Maybe once I get them out, I’ll try sanding with a little 300 grit. I’ve read that can help.

Have you verified the disc is straight, not warped?

I don’t really know how to do that other than eyeballing the rotor (short of removing it from the wheel). It looks true, though, and hopefully should be given the age of the bike (but who knows ? ‍).

When I backlight the gap between the pads and the rotor, I can see a very slight oscillation in its width as the wheel spins, but nothing making contact with the pads.

Well, my after dinner project tonight was to get the bike back up in the air and go after those pads.

I’m somewhat embarrassed to say that I was having a heck of a time getting that cotter pin off. Was trying to straighten the bent leg of it with some needlenose pliers but it didn’t want to budge. Felt like I was going to break the pin. They should make the next space shuttle out of whatever metal they used for that pin.

57763469-3058-4F8B-8A9A-CD467B31BE2B.jpeg

Instead, I bailed on that and tried to clean the pads mounted. Popped off the wheel, and lightly ran some 320 Grit sandpaper over the pads. Here is what they looked like on inspection:

8BBD5739-F724-4801-8B6D-34DF6211DFA3.jpeg

Looks okay to me, but what do I know?
Blew out the gap with some pressurized air, and re-wiped the rotors with alcohol.

Remounted the wheel, and took it for a test drive, and the rattle sounded gone! Was hearing a bit of a rhythmic grating rub, so readjusted the calipers, and things were sounding a little better, then the rattle seemed to come back again.

The rotor seems strongly mounted.

Oh well…..it seems to brake well. I might just have to put up with it until I can bring it to a bike shop. That takes the fun out of solving and fixing it myself though. <GRIN>

Negative mon.
Change pad and rotor .
I would not risk riding that bike if I hear and feel it is not proper.
The rotor can get warped.
Your bike is 25+mph capable ghost pedaling.
What is your weight anyway.
Here is a picture of my Aventon Level. I had it turned from the dealer..
I rode this thing to YMCA mostly on throttle.

Thanks!
Oddly the rattling noise seemed gone this morning on my ride to work, but getting more of that rhythmic metallic shushing noise…..I suspect with all of my tinkering, I’m getting a pad rubbing on my rotor now. Will play with it some more tonight hopefully.

I weigh 196 lbs at 6’1”

I’ll be bringing it to “Bert’s Bikes” this weekend for a looksie I think.

Cool bike, BTW! :)

Well, dropping the Bike off at the LBS today, so no biking for me this week. :(
Guess I’ll have to kill the Earth some more with my Jeep fumes going to work. <grin>

I swear the bike has a mind of its own….just before loading it up to go to the shop, I took it for a test drive and the brakes sounded the best they ever had. Tinkered with it a lot last last night….maybe actually did something right for a change.

Still getting an ongoing rub, and I’m almost thinking one of my pistons is not fully relaxing, so I’m gonna have the experts look at it anyway.

Just so you guys know, I cried a little when I dropped my bike off today. And I think my bike cried too.

:cry:;)

I have had squeaking problems a lot. I ride mostly on ditch bank roads that have fine clay dust on them. Changing out to softer pads helps but it still requires pulling the pads out from time to time and sanding on a flat surface with 400 wet sandpaper and alcohol. Look at the pads closely to see if there are shiny burnished spots on them. I think that means they got contaminated with something, usually oil based. If you get even a slight amount of hydraulic fluid or oil on them toss them out. New pads are cheap, I keep about half a dozen pairs in my toolbox. Try softer pads.

Hi all,

So I’ve been having this noise coming from my front disc brake, and it seems to be getting louder. My bike is a 2-3 month old Aventon Pace 500 Next Gen.

The best I can describe is a clunky higher pitched rattle, but I’ve attached a video link below which pretty well represents it.

The brake is “Tektro.”

View attachment 4231

Today I propped the bike up on my stand, wiped the discs down very well with 90% isopropyl alcohol, and re-centered the pad calipers using a technique I learned on YouTube (remember I’m a newbie). This entailed loosening the caliper frame mounting bolts, squeezing the brake, retightening the bolts, and then releasing the brake.

Here is the video:

Any thoughts about what the problem is, or what I should try next would be appreciated.

Thanks!!
Check to see if the wheel is mounted on a off-cambered angle. When the brake is applied it will cause it to bind unevenly on the rotor. Center and realign the wheel. Readjust brake caliper to the realigned rotor.

Check to see if the wheel is mounted on a off-cambered angle. When the brake is applied it will cause it to bind unevenly on the rotor. Center and realign the wheel. Readjust brake caliper to the realigned rotor.

Hi all,

The brake is “Tektro.”

View attachment 4231

Here is the video:

Thanks!! I bought my ebike secondhand with a recorded 500 miles on the display, both front & rear rotors were warped so were replaced for a mere £20.00. You can buy wedges to place either side of the rotor but I find the method you describe to be pretty effective, some people use old credit cards inserted either side of the rotor to help with the capliper alinement. It's a shame you couldn't remove the pads as you may well have a sticky piston/s or air in the system, they recommend changing the brake fluid every six months under extreme conditions, riding style, heat. Good luck getting your steed fixed, even if they had to replace the rotor, caliper it wouldn't be that expensive seeing your bike is fitted with tektro

Thanks Snoop. My Aventon Soltaire 7 just started doing that only the rear brake. I'll work on the fixes first . . . then take it too the bike shop for the real fix. I've been VERY pleased with my Soltaire 7 and this is the first issue I've had.

Well, sometimes things just workout nicely.

I‘m definitely feeling withdrawal with the bike in the shop. Dropped it off Sunday and they said expect 5-6 days.

Monday it rained like heck here all day long.
Yesterday and today it is 1,000 degrees out and humid.
And today I found out they are resurfacing the asphalt path thru the woods which entails 40% of my work commute.

Good week to have the bike in the shop. :cool:

Picked up my bike from the LBS today. The good news is that the noise heard in the video in my OP is pretty much gone. The front brake sounds much better. The rear break still has a bit of a squeal, but I’d say it’s 70% better and primarily with hard breaking.

The mechanic said the disks and pads were taken apart and thoroughly cleaned and said one of the rotors (I’m guessing the front) needed just a touch of truing.

Unfortunately, I still hear a little rubbing on the front wheel when I ride, but it’s quieter and nothing too bad, I guess.

Was happy to get it back out on the road today!

I bought a disc brake adjuster and really i can never get them to be 100% quiet.

Got to be where i'd ride for 20 miles then stop and adjust, pftftftftf.... that got old...lol

Back