Brakes Front brake squeal

Trophyduck

Local time
9:27 PM
I searched to no avail. I bedded the brakes and all was good. Now I have a squeal in the front brake when going real slow/ stopping. It works fine but noisy. I can't have this in the woods! Any suggestions?

Brakes can get contaminated/dirty.....I have that issue sometimes with my rear brake. My solution.....take a clean cloth.....put some cheap rubbing alcohol on it....clean the brake rotor by holding the rag on the rotor and spinning the wheel. For me.....this solved the problem. You might consider changing you brake pads as well.....some of the less expensive ones squel more than others. Good luck.

Although there are a lot of possible factors, the worst brake squeal I've had to deal with is usually one (or more) of three issues.
1) Contamination. JerryB gives good advise in his post.
2) Mis-Alignment of the calipers can cause terrible vibration and squeal (or if your disc/rotor is bent)
3) Glazing of the pads. You can usually remove glazing with a bit of fine sandpaper or emery cloth.

Also, in cold/wet conditions some brakes just squeal and there's nothing to be done for it except maybe trying a different pad material.

Thanks guys....I only have about 15iles on it....I'll try cleaning. Is it possible they just need used more??

So I cleaned and realigned. I did notice that one side hit before the other. It looks like they both touch simultaneously now. Still squeals. Not quite as badly though. I guess I'll keep playing with alignment and cleaning. Should I remove the pads and clean them too? (Is that a dumb question?)

So I cleaned and realigned. I did notice that one side hit before the other. It looks like they both touch simultaneously now. Still squeals. Not quite as badly though. I guess I'll keep playing with alignment and cleaning. Should I remove the pads and clean them too? (Is that a dumb question?)
Yea....make sure that alighnment is good and rotor is clean....if you remove pads....I would follow CW's recommendation above....light sanpaper or emory cloth. Good luck.

Clean, sand lightly then clean again. There are no dumb questions ;)

So. Did everything again. Works! Until it doesn't.... what I found was a leaky piston. I would clean and clean again... shouldn't be dirty from the just the driveway in just a few minutes.... as I was inspecting everything, I saw bubbles from the brake fluid!
Biktrix is sending me a new complete brake and rotor assembly.

So. Did everything again. Works! Until it doesn't.... what I found was a leaky piston. I would clean and clean again... shouldn't be dirty from the just the driveway in just a few minutes.... as I was inspecting everything, I saw bubbles from the brake fluid!
Biktrix is sending me a new complete brake and rotor assembly.
Sorry to hear it was additional trouble but glad it got discovered at home not out on a ride someplace.

Nice catch, TrophyDuck!

I‘ve had a stubborn rear brake squeal since day one. I’ll have to look closely to see if I can find something similar.

Nice catch, TrophyDuck!

I‘ve had a stubborn rear brake squeal since day one. I’ll have to look closely to see if I can find something similar.
I had to really look down in there. Saw some little bubbles around the piston for just a second. It was enough to keep contaminating everything.....haven't received the new brakes yet but I imagine that will be the fix

I had to really look down in there. Saw some little bubbles around the piston for just a second. It was enough to keep contaminating everything.....haven't received the new brakes yet but I imagine that will be the fix

Just out of curiosity, how did the manufacturer handle your concern? Did they send you the new assembly components based on description alone, or did they make you send photos of the “bubbles” you were seeing. I imagine those would be difficult to visualize.

Just out of curiosity, how did the manufacturer handle your concern? Did they send you the new assembly components based on description alone, or did they make you send photos of the “bubbles” you were seeing. I imagine those would be difficult to visualize.
Biktrix was great. I originally told them about the issue and a video of the squeeling. They emailed me back and said they were sending me new pads and a rotor. I was asked to confirm sizes, etc.
I replied back with that info and that's when I found the leak so I emailed my reply with a video and explanation.....now they are sending me a whole front assembly and rotor. They told me they could see it and agreed.....they've been great...they suggested I take it to a shop to be installed and they would reimburse me up to 70.00.

Back