Fixation with ....

ronniebellie

Local time
10:06 PM
As I've been researching which ebike to buy, I've run across more expensive ones that have things like a Carbon Gates belt, an internal hub, an Enviolo drive, hydraulic disc brakes, etc, all of which mean much less maintenance for the rider but are much more expensive. The Priority Current has all these features, for example, but at a price of $3,499 (with the optional Enviolo drive).

My question is this. Given my riding style which is never off road and pretty much always on designated bike trails with hard surfaces or crushed rock, and considering the fact that I'm not good at all at bike maintenance and don't really want to do it, if I purchased an ebike that had the standard parts such as the Aventon Pace 500 which is much cheaper at $1,699, would I regret that decision because of my dislike of maintenance?

Your thoughts?

Both of the bikes you listed are what I'd consider to be commuter bikes, generally used on streets with some use on unpaved surfaces (but nothing challenging). If they both meet your needs, then it's just a question of which one floats your boat.

I don't think the difference in maintenance between the two bikes is significant. Adjusting/fixing tires, nuts, bolts, spokes and other parts is the same regardless of which bike you choose and that's the majority of the maintenance work.

The biggest difference is in power. 140 nM applied via the gear system vs. 70 nM applied at the hub. I'd expect the Priority to be an excellent hillclimber, whereas the Aventon would be an anemic hillclimber. If the area that you ride is relatively flat, I don't think that you would miss the power.

Note: If you can't afford the $3500 price tag of the Priority bike, then stop there. You've made your decision. Buy the Aventon.

I've met and spoken with a couple of people who have mid-drive, gates belt, internal gear systems and they absolutely LOVE them. Basically no maintenance on the drive train but yes there is the price tag and you still need to watch your spokes and brake pads.

As to maintenance, I did a little write up here. eBikes put higher stress on components so if you want to get maximum life out of things you need to keep an eye on them. Alternatively, if you aren't worried about buying parts then it gets pretty simple again and basically boils down to "keep a close eye on your spoke tension, your brake pads, and the high stress frame areas like around the head, seat tube, and chain stay.

I've met and spoken with a couple of people who have mid-drive, gates belt, internal gear systems and they absolutely LOVE them. Basically no maintenance on the drive train but yes there is the price tag and you still need to watch your spokes and brake pads.

As to maintenance, I did a little write up here. eBikes put higher stress on components so if you want to get maximum life out of things you need to keep an eye on them. Alternatively, if you aren't worried about buying parts then it gets pretty simple again and basically boils down to "keep a close eye on your spoke tension, your brake pads, and the high stress frame areas like around the head, seat tube, and chain stay.
Your write up about ebike maintenance is fabulous! Thank you very much. So helpful.

Back