First Ebike Help, Steep Hills in Reno

For less than $200 I can buy a 18 volt cordless cut-off saw and a $5 cut-off wheel that will cut through 99% of bike locks in less than 10 seconds.

Best to buy a cheap non e-bike and spray it flat black and put cheap components on it. One of my local shops sells used mountain bikes for $200 and so no great loss when stolen.

For hills all you need is a low enough gear. In my college days my route home was through San Francisco and it was not a big deal to race the streetcars up the hills. Putting an extra large rear cog for a 'granny' gear is a cheap fix and something I did to my bikes for touring through the Sierras.

I posted on another thread but I'm in some what the same predicament Cruz is in. It's been years since I've been on a bike and looking to get an ebike. There are fairly steep hills, some maybe 1/4-1/2 mile long and after watching this:
, all considered, the Rad Expand 5 looks to be a potential choice. I'm a 79 YO woman and don't want to be walking my bike up a grade it would be difficult for me to walk. Lectric 2.0 long range might be another possiblilty, although after watching the YouTube above, question it's ability for me. Need a class 2 and under $1500. Since there are no bike repair shops within an hour of me, thinking a foldable ebike is in order. Suggestions welcome, and I bet Cruz would like them too. Thanks all.

I posted on another thread but I'm in some what the same predicament Cruz is in. It's been years since I've been on a bike and looking to get an ebike. There are fairly steep hills, some maybe 1/4-1/2 mile long and after watching this:
, all considered, the Rad Expand 5 looks to be a potential choice. I'm a 79 YO woman and don't want to be walking my bike up a grade it would be difficult for me to walk. Lectric 2.0 long range might be another possiblilty, although after watching the YouTube above, question it's ability for me. Need a class 2 and under $1500. Since there are no bike repair shops within an hour of me, thinking a foldable ebike is in order. Suggestions welcome, and I bet Cruz would like them too. Thanks all.
Sounds like you have some challenging inclines for an ebike. I think you are going to have trouble getting any hub motor ebike that’s under $1500 to traverse that terrain. It’s really going to take a powerful mid-drive ebike to accomplish that. Truthfully I have not ridden many mid drives. The only setup that I can suggest that would be sub $1500 would be to do a conversion with a 1000w Bafang BBSHD kit. Install it on a 7-speed hybrid type bike and it would work. If you or a friend are not mechanically inclined this might not be an option. There are lots of videos on the installation of these kits however. The other nice thing about mid drives is that changing flats out is easy since there is no wiring attached to any wheels. Since there are no shops around this might be a good thing for you. Those kits are a little over $700 without a battery. Check out Luna Cycle for these kits.
A friend of mine is getting a Priority Current ebike that has a CVT transmission type rear hub through Costco’s Next program. It’s a very powerful mid drive ebike. It only has a 10ah battery though. Not sure of the distance you’re requiring. Also this bike is above your price range. $2799. But IMHO it’s the type of ebike that can handle the terrain you are describing.

Back