First build - Mongoose Fat Bike with Bafang 1000W

Grumpy old man

Local time
5:00 AM
New to ebikes, considered buying a pre-built one, but considering bang for your buck, diy was the way go. Everything from bike to fender purchased through Amazon. Very happy with the build.

Attachments

• 20220421_141326.jpg
    20220421_141326.jpg
    365.4 KB · Views: 157
Bike looks great how about some details for us all?
Thanks, Hoggdoc

As I said, everything was purchased through Amazon..

Started with the Mongoose fat bike for no other reason than that I thought it looked cool. Next up was the Bafang 1000w, middrive kit, 48v20ah battery, and finished off with a more comfy seat, seat bag and fender. Despite never working on a bike before, the installation was relatively easy.

Performance ...
Before I got the e-kit, I tested the bike on bike paths near my house. There are some heart- attack inducing hills that I can now cruise up effortlessly with pas. No clue how accurate the speedo is, but I can comfortably cruise on the street at 35-40kph and hit 50 if I go hard. This is with a 42 tooth chain ring. Butt dyno says all goals were exceeded. Finding that I ride exclusively in 7th gear, so swapping out the cluster for a single speed might be in the future, just to simplify thing

All in, it cost less that the average 500w, hub drive production bike.
Retired last year and thought I need to get more exercise, having a blast with it. Hadn't riden a bike in about 45 years!

Thanks, Hoggdoc

As I said, everything was purchased through Amazon..

Started with the Mongoose fat bike for no other reason than that I thought it looked cool. Next up was the Bafang 1000w, middrive kit, 48v20ah battery, and finished off with a more comfy seat, seat bag and fender. Despite never working on a bike before, the installation was relatively easy.

Performance ...
Before I got the e-kit, I tested the bike on bike paths near my house. There are some heart- attack inducing hills that I can now cruise up effortlessly with pas. No clue how accurate the speedo is, but I can comfortably cruise on the street at 35-40kph and hit 50 if I go hard. This is with a 42 tooth chain ring. Butt dyno says all goals were exceeded. Finding that I ride exclusively in 7th gear, so swapping out the cluster for a single speed might be in the future, just to simplify thing

All in, it cost less that the average 500w, hub drive production bike.
Retired last year and thought I need to get more exercise, having a blast with it. Hadn't riden a bike in about 45 years!
So you don't find that you use the larger gears for climbing hills? Did you utilize a shift sensor? As for your speedometer accuracy, if you have a smart phone there are lots of Apps that use GPS to create a speedometer which are usually pretty accurate so you can check your built-in display speedometer accuracy that way.

Like I previously said I'm considering converting my current E bike which is a 750 W geared hub bike that I really have no complaints with as far as TopSpeed, battery life or hill climbing capabilities, but I just think it would be a cool project and give me a little more hillclimbing capability.

So you don't find that you use the larger gears for climbing hills? Did you utilize a shift sensor? As for your speedometer accuracy, if you have a smart phone there are lots of Apps that use GPS to create a speedometer which are usually pretty accurate so you can check your built-in display speedometer accuracy that way.

Like I previously said I'm considering converting my current E bike which is a 750 W geared hub bike that I really have no complaints with as far as TopSpeed, battery life or hill climbing capabilities, but I just think it would be a cool project and give me a little more hillclimbing capability.
I've yet to encounter any grades that I haven't been able to easily peddle up in 7th gear. Maybe I got lucky and hit the sweet spot for the bbshd by opting for the smaller 42t chain ring. I'm thinking going off-road would present steeper grades. Don't have a shift sensor, use the brake cut-off when shifting. Will look for a speedometer app, thanks

Back