Fiido T1 Review

Saw this coming when the Fiido T1 first came out. Single point at high stress location, bound for frame failure.
I have little over 800 miles on my Fiido T1, keeping an eye on the frame.
Anyone have details on how the failure occurred?
Weight of rider & cargo,
Speed of travel when frame failed,
Any impact that caused the failure?
how many miles ridden on the T1?
If the bike was operating beyond its designed limits, frame failure is not unexpected.

After defective Fiido X e-bike recalled for breaking in half, now another model is doing it
fiido-t1-break-in-half-header.jpg

Fiido respond:

A Serial Number Checker and a $10000 Promise

Dear Fiido T1 users,

For those of you who wonder if your T1 is to be replaced, we have created a serial number checker for all T1 users.
https://www.fiido.com/pages/t1-serial-number-checker
This is to enable T1 owners to know whether their bike is affected by the issue. Those who are affected can contact us after the confirmation or wait for us to contact you in the near future.

We care about quality as much as everyone does and have implemented stringent quality assurance procedures.
We know there will always be those who doubt us no matter what we have done, so we hereby announce :

1. All T1s (including those in stock and the replacements) will enjoy a 5-year warranty from Fiido for the frame from now on.

2. We promise that if any of the new T1s suffers from a frame-breaking issue under normal use conditions, Fiido will compensate the customer with $10,000. No questions asked. We are confident in T1 and are sure that no one will have the need to claim this. But feel free to bet against us.

Fiido respond:

A Serial Number Checker and a $10000 Promise

Dear Fiido T1 users,

For those of you who wonder if your T1 is to be replaced, we have created a serial number checker for all T1 users.
https://www.fiido.com/pages/t1-serial-number-checker
This is to enable T1 owners to know whether their bike is affected by the issue. Those who are affected can contact us after the confirmation or wait for us to contact you in the near future.

We care about quality as much as everyone does and have implemented stringent quality assurance procedures.
We know there will always be those who doubt us no matter what we have done, so we hereby announce :

1. All T1s (including those in stock and the replacements) will enjoy a 5-year warranty from Fiido for the frame from now on.

2. We promise that if any of the new T1s suffers from a frame-breaking issue under normal use conditions, Fiido will compensate the customer with $10,000. No questions asked. We are confident in T1 and are sure that no one will have the need to claim this. But feel free to bet against us.
Pretty crazy huh? :oops:

I've seen plenty of aluminum frame failures in the bike industry.
Plenty of shipment damage that's not visible to someone putting the bike together from pulling it out of the box.
Plenty of folks abuse & neglect products and when bad thing occur think nothing of their own actions and expect the manufacturers to compensate.
Fiido seems to be doing the right thing, responding to flaws as they occur; I just hope they survive long enough to take care of things.
5-year warranty is probably the longest I've seen for aluminum frame.

Has anyone tested full throttle range at max speed?
I was on the fence on buying this for my 15 miles commute, to replace some of the miles I do with my car.
Then I broke my foot and will need to spare it for the next 6 weeks.

Would it be able to ride ~32 miles round trip with ~250 pounds (me + backpack + occasional groceries + locks), completely flat terrain,very little wind, on asphalt (shoulder of the road)?

I do have an option to charge at work, but I'd rather skip this step if possible.
I would say it depends on how much you want to pedal and what pedal assist mode you run in. If you want throttle only range for that distance I doubt this would work for you unless you charge at both ends.

Interesting torture test video for the Fiido T1 frame:

Looks like some significant upgrade to the T1 replacement frame:
8mAn8Px.jpg

Looking forward to receive mine.

Looks like new display for the replacement T1 frame/bike.

Took my (recalled) T1 out for a 20 mile ride today, frame didn't break.
While moving my water bottle from the cage on the downtube, I thought to myself:
what if I re-enforce the weak downtube with a bracket between the two water bottle cage mounts?
Say a 1/4" thick steel plate in L-shape, or even a steel triangle (in orange) that mounts between the two bottle mounts.
It may not support much weight, but it's better than no reinforcement.
Rudimentary picture of concept:
nrMuCkl.jpg

If you look at the pictures of the failed frames, both failed at the same spot: clean snap/break of the aluminum downtube just above the cross member (step-thru tube, just below the headtube junction.
zcBGBNr.jpg

KvuP9cv.jpg

By installing a steel bracket/plate, steel don't snap/break like aluminum, at least it will bend before breaking into two pieces.
Steel bracket/plate will spread the stress forces along the aluminum frame tubes between two water bottle mounts, instead of the stress concentrated at the aluminum tubing between the cross member (step-thru tube) & the junction of the headtube.
Mounting points for the steel bracket are already on the frame, as water bottle cage mounts.

Saw this coming when the Fiido T1 first came out. Single point at high stress location, bound for frame failure.
I have little over 800 miles on my Fiido T1, keeping an eye on the frame.
Anyone have details on how the failure occurred?
Weight of rider & cargo,
Speed of travel when frame failed,
Any impact that caused the failure?
how many miles ridden on the T1?
If the bike was operating beyond its designed limits, frame failure is not unexpected.

After defective Fiido X e-bike recalled for breaking in half, now another model is doing it
fiido-t1-break-in-half-header.jpg
Took my (recalled) T1 out for a 20 mile ride today, frame didn't break.
While moving my water bottle from the cage on the downtube, I thought to myself:
what if I re-enforce the weak downtube with a bracket between the two water bottle cage mounts?
Say a 1/4" thick steel plate in L-shape, or even a steel triangle (in orange) that mounts between the two bottle mounts.
It may not support much weight, but it's better than no reinforcement.
Rudimentary picture of concept:
nrMuCkl.jpg

If you look at the pictures of the failed frames, both failed at the same spot: clean snap/break of the aluminum downtube just above the cross member (step-thru tube, just below the headtube junction.
zcBGBNr.jpg

KvuP9cv.jpg

By installing a steel bracket/plate, steel don't snap/break like aluminum, at least it will bend before breaking into twopeedp pieces.
Steel bracket/plate will spread the stress forces along the aluminum frame tubes between two water bottle mounts, instead of the stress concentrated at the aluminum tubing between the cross member (step-thru tube) & the junction of the headtube.
Mounting points for the steel bracket are already on the frame, as water bottle cage mounts.
I could feel a little give at top speed so I have kept my suspension turned off seance I got the bike. Don't know how much diference it could make. I think the distance from top of fork tubes to handle bar grip may contribute to the problem. I'm not buying weld process for cause, bad material? What ever it is they know they didn't do all the homework. So big PR campaign to save thier reputation. I love my bike, have about as many miles as you. I weigh 400 and will load mine down. No problems yet. I towed this bike 6 miles.

Attachments

• 20220815_110451.jpg
    20220815_110451.jpg
    281.6 KB · Views: 166
I don't get to operate the T1 at top speed very often, most of my riding is under 20 mph.
Between the cars, other cyclists, pedestrians, traffic lights, stop signs, road surface & traffic volume don't allow sustained top speed operation.

I weight about 175 lb. (80 kg) with all my riding gear, with lower operating speeds;
I'm not stressing the T1 frame as much as a heavier rider operating at top speed.

If you are a heavier riding operating a top speed constantly, I would be cautious of the frame failure.

I No I was talking about when I got getting a feel for the old girl. Yes I stay in 2 most time and max coast.I did modify and reinforce th center stand so I'm not scraping curbs take a look.20221102_191140.jpg20221102_192958.jpg

My Fiido T1 never came with a center stand.
Looks like that center stand really reduces the ground clearance.
The mod for chain guide is neat, was it necessary so the chain doesn't rub the center stand?

The mod for chain guide is neat, was it necessary so the chain doesn't rub the center stand?

I20221102_192909.jpg20221102_194405_HDR.jpg20221102_193237.jpg20221102_193327.jpg20221102_190818_HDR.jpg20221102_190725.jpg20221102_194455_HDR.jpg

Attachments

• 20221102_194353.jpg
    20221102_194353.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 126
  • 20221102_193118.jpg
    20221102_193118.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 146
It's actually the same the mod. is letting it fold up and stops in travel position.i fine tuned stopping point with a file. So I changed àngle where it attachs to frame, filed some off to get a little more travel to where I wanted final stop position. It's tight in there so fit tac and check before weld out. There's a weak spot in that leg element where it will fail. At least on mine anyway I included my front fender look close that's the front and rear fender you don't have to make any changes just stick um together and how I raised rear deck that gives more choices to tie down cargo.

t seems that Fiido T1 owner already receiving their replacement bike from the recall,
I think that's pretty good since the recall for T1 was only announced 4 weeks ago.
I've received FedEx tracking that mine will arrive on THU 10 NOV 2022; less than 3 weeks of reporting my serial number to Fiido.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/5437...6565076146514/
v7xJ5q8.jpg

d4ltr7o.jpg

Side by side picture.. Looks to me the replacement T1 frame has a bigger weakspot (in red) than the original T1 frame,
hopefully that extruded aluminum down tube holds up far better than the original aluminum downtube without any internal support.
Ya8PI2R.jpg

Side by side picture.. Looks to me the replacement T1 frame has a bigger weakspot (in red) than the original T1 frame,
hopefully that extruded aluminum down tube holds up far better than the origi aluminum downtube without any internal support.
Ya8PI2R.jpg
Looks like they made changes to frame geometry. Down tube is angled forward more and brace tube to steer tube. Is wheelbase the same?

My replacement T1 arrived this afternoon. haven't got a chance to take it out of the box yet, maybe do it this weekend.

Back