Faraday porteur s

boss

Local time
9:11 AM
Have had a chance to ride the subject bike for a week or so and thought It might interest some eMTB participants for the following reasons:
1) City bike, but it performed on legal dirt trails acceptably with dual purpose tires.
2) It's very difficult to recognize as an ebike with the electronics hidden in the frame. This may be the future for eMTB since the electronics are so unobtrusive.
PAS only bike that gets to 20 mph pretty rapidly in assist level 2; rides along nicely at 18 mph in level 1 (180 pound rider, flat road, 5 mph headwind. Rode for 17 miles in assist 1 or 2, about 800" of climbing overall; battery still not shutting off. Probably easy 40 mile range with Faraday's auxillary battery. Additionally, tried pedaling without assist and bike performed well.

Had a chance to test this bike over a longer term and it was utilitarian and fun. My wife rode it on a dinner ride both on and off road (just a dirt trail) and enjoyed it too.

I thought Faraday went out of business? Man, I would steer very clear of those bikes. Sexy looking design, but you could pay half that for the same performance with a bafang kit installed on any old retro classic lugged steel Motobecane. Do some googling about the obsolete faradays first. I have a friend with one with a dead battery. I don't know much in the way of details but i gather that some components of their system are very specific and proprietary so he can't get a replacement battery now that the company is 6 feet under, so he's the proud owner of a $3000 piece of pretty looking garbage.

Too bad cuz the name was awesome. Michael Faraday is my all time favorite under-appreciated scientist. Hardly recognized for his achievements during his life because he was born working class in class-stratified England, but more or less single-handedly invented electric motors. The Maxwell equations are named after Maxwell, but Maxwell would just be a dusty fading Cambridge mathematician without having discovered Faraday, who was figuring it out by just tinkering in his employer's basement. Someone needs to take that name and do something worthy of the man it came from.

Back