Factory build... or DIY ebike Kit?

NEPMTBA

Local time
6:50 AM
What makes you happy?

Ride a factory built E or build one from a kit or scratch to ride?

Disclaimer, no illegal builds or modded out units.

I'll put my vote in for factory clean lines motor and battery integrated into frame more streamlined and warranty!

DIY provides me with the features I am looking for at a low cost to play. But the big thing is that I can adjust on the fly due to open source goods instead of proprietary manufacturer products. I have already made the switch to 2170 cells for a $600 battery that I can use on all three of my eBikes. They aren't much to look at but get the job done.

custom ebikes DIY.jpg

At some point I want to get an integrated motor type eMTB but waiting until the right unit becomes available.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can anyone get me started on my journey to get my wife into an E-bike. I rented a Rad and we liked it, but being a DYI-er, I realized there are components I could install myself. She has a Specialized step-through hybrid with 21 speeds. Will components give me the same usablity, safety, etc? Brand? Where to install the motor? How many watts needed for some local hill riding on pavement/fire roads? Thanks.

DIY provides me with the features I am looking for at a low cost to play. But the big thing is that I can adjust on the fly due to open source goods instead of proprietary manufacturer products. I have already made the switch to 2170 cells for a $600 battery that I can use on all three of my eBikes. They aren't much to look at but get the job done.

View attachment 542

At some point I want to get an integrated motor type eMTB but waiting until the right unit becomes available.
Interesting, what advantages have you seen with the 2170 cells. Did you build your own battery pack, if so can you provide the parts list including the BMS specs.

My 1000w ebike is gearing limited to 20mph, is it illegal?
Technically no because it exceeds the 750 watt limit. How ever maybe if your controller can be programmed to low the amps output to 750 watts maybe it would pass.

But here is the BIG question who is going to know, police or other authorities don't have the knowledge or equipment to check.

Can anyone get me started on my journey to get my wife into an E-bike. I rented a Rad and we liked it, but being a DYI-er, I realized there are components I could install myself. She has a Specialized step-through hybrid with 21 speeds. Will components give me the same usablity, safety, etc? Brand? Where to install the motor? How many watts needed for some local hill riding on pavement/fire roads? Thanks.
Get her an Aventon Pace 350. Then you won't have to worry about anything but riding. Excellent components. Excellent quality. She will love it. You don't want a diy bike for your wife.

Hey Jim. Take a look at the assembly video's by johnnynerdout on youtube. I built my own e-bike from a 2012 stumpjumper i've had for quite a while. Really happy with how it turned out. I've put about 1500 miles on it off-road this summer with no issues. Even built my own battery (52V) for it from the tear down of Modem batteries (18650's) i bought from batteryhookup.com. I'm really happy with it, and i know how everything goes together, so no expensive shop work needed in the future.

What makes you happy?

Build it yourself, with a mid-drive motor. Hub drives just don't have the power, as I'm 6'4" and weight about 225lbs.. Hub motor just dies on the hills. Mid-drive has so much more capability. Completed my build in June 21, and I've put about 1500 miles on it off road.. No issues to date.

What makes you happy?

I agree with big wheeler but he left out the great feeling of accomplishment that comes with building your own e-bike.

I am happy with my 750-watt Tongsheng (TSDZ2 running OSF firmware) mid-drive capped by me at 260 watts.

It allows up to 9 assist levels. I currently use five programmed thusly:

1 = 25% of whatever I am putting out
2 = 50%
3 = same number of watts that I am supplying
4 = twice what I am supplying
5 = Superman mode

For me, pedelec is the bomb and I could care less about having a throttle.

I weigh 215, my trike probably weighs 70 and 260 watts plus my own sustainable output is more than enough to get me up the 1.25-mile 8-degree grade that I need to climb to get home.

I am a slow rider, my trike does not feel safe over 18 mph, and I use the assist mainly for hills and strong headwinds.

But when I see people on engineered bikes like Specialized's I think "That's really nice.".

If you have four grand, go for a Specialized...

If you like to fiddle and/or want to spend less, go the DIY route.

One DIY caution: your three front chain rings will become one ring with a mid-drove and you will need to compensate for that on the rear - which costs money. I had Rohloff hub from my biking days, so my cost was zero in that regard.

My setup cost me about a grand for the motor and a 52-volt 14 ah battery.

Build it yourself, with a mid-drive motor. Hub drives just don't have the power, as I'm 6'4" and weight about 225lbs.. Hub motor just dies on the hills. Mid-drive has so much more capability. Completed my build in June 21, and I've put about 1500 miles on it off road.. No issues to date.
Hello,
I would like to say here that I think it depends on which components you have and how powerful they are my friend has a Befang, 750 watt mid drive and I have two Violamart, hub kits and my two bikes were able to take me up the same hills as his at higher speeds. His bike took me up these hills and reached about 11 mph with my weight of 240 lbs my bikes however took me up the same hills and reached between 14 and 19 mph. My hub's controller's and battery's are all the same configuration of 48 volts 1,000 w 18 amps and on average on street level they get up to 28 miles an hour and slightly downhill 32 to 35 miles an hour I think this is maybe even a little too fast at times so I think in the end it depends on what you have and what your configuration is that makes some faster or slower more powerful or less powerful.

I am happy with my 750-watt Tongsheng (TSDZ2 running OSF firmware) mid-drive capped by me at 260 watts.

It allows up to 9 assist levels. I currently use five programmed thusly:

1 = 25% of whatever I am putting out
2 = 50%
3 = same number of watts that I am supplying
4 = twice what I am supplying
5 = Superman mode

For me, pedelec is the bomb and I could care less about having a throttle.

I weigh 215, my trike probably weighs 70 and 260 watts plus my own sustainable output is more than enough to get me up the 1.25-mile 8-degree grade that I need to climb to get home.

I am a slow rider, my trike does not feel safe over 18 mph, and I use the assist mainly for hills and strong headwinds.

But when I see people on engineered bikes like Specialized's I think "That's really nice.".

If you have four grand, go for a Specialized...

If you like to fiddle and/or want to spend less, go the DIY route.

One DIY caution: your three front chain rings will become one ring with a mid-drove and you will need to compensate for that on the rear - which costs money. I had Rohloff hub from my biking days, so my cost was zero in that regard.

My setup cost me about a grand for the motor and a 52-volt 14 ah battery.
They are not safe under certain situations I tried one I bought a trike on Amazon, bought a kit for it in March, of this past year put it together went out got into an accident within 15 minutes broke my shoulder in two places and my arm and cracked three ribs I don't recommend electric trikes for anyone especially seniors. I still only have 90% mobility in my shoulder and arm to this day and may not ever get 100%.

Get her an Aventon Pace 350. Then you won't have to worry about anything but riding. Excellent components. Excellent quality. She will love it. You don't want a diy bike for your wife.
My wife bought a Giant Liv Rove because it is available in extra small- it is only a 250W Yamaha motor but it works beautifully and has a sophisticated pedal torque system that DIY will probably never match (and currently certainly does not). As an aside, even though our batteries are nominally about the same size, my Bfang BBS02 seems to use electricity (and lose capacity) faster than hers..... and faster than the difference in our weights would suggest.

They are not safe under certain situations ...
I agree 100%, having rolled mine twice since I got it a few months ago. Trikes are treacherous.

Off-camber situations and cornering at speed are the two big no-no's that I am aware of.

You can go up hills; you can go down hills; but don't even think about going across a hill. Slow learner that I am, that's what got me both times.

Also, if you are riding on a sidewalk and accidentally drop a wheel off a curb more than a few inches high you can get dumped into traffic. Can anybody spell R_O_A_D__K_I_L_L?

And then there is the humongous visibility issue...

But, for me who can no longer ride a bike or walk any distance, the trike is a step up from laying on the couch all day... And if I get glonched, so be it.

My vote is a kit build. I installed a mid drive onto my KHS fat bike 4 yrs ago and ride it all year long, it is still going strong. It gets occasional use depending on whats going on and doesn't get used when the temp drops below 20 degrees C.
I also have a low slung homemade (20"wheels) delta trike also powered by a Bafang mid drive motor. It get's used all spring, summer and fall. With the trike the closest factory offering might be Hase but I have the satisfaction of building it myself with e assist for a fraction of the cost of the Hase. No question that the Hase fit and finish is much higher quality but I really don't care, mine work's well, is totally reliable, fun to ride and has taken me all over the city where I live.

I agree 100%, having rolled mine twice since I got it a few months ago. Trikes are treacherous.

Off-camber situations and cornering at speed are the two big no-no's that I am aware of.

You can go up hills; you can go down hills; but don't even think about going across a hill. Slow learner that I am, that's what got me both times.

Also, if you are riding on a sidewalk and accidentally drop a wheel off a curb more than a few inches high you can get dumped into traffic.

And then there is the humongous visibility issue...

But, for me who can no longer ride a bike or walk any distance, the trike is a step up from laying on the couch all day... And if I become road kill, so be it.
I hear ya you can only put some mirrors on it take it slower than you would be on a two wheeler wear a good helmet you can also wear a lot of reflective stuff and also you could put flags on it you know the ones that have those long poles on them and watch out for everybody else be safe take it easy good luck.

My vote is a kit build. I installed a mid drive onto my KHS fat bike 4 yrs ago and ride it all year long, it is still going strong. It gets occasional use depending on whats going on and doesn't get used when the temp drops below 20 degrees C.
I also have a low slung homemade (20"wheels) delta trike also powered by a Bafang mid drive motor. It get's used all spring, summer and fall. With the trike the closest factory offering might be Hase but I have the satisfaction of building it myself with e assist for a fraction of the cost of the Hase. No question that the Hase fit and finish is much higher quality but I really don't care, mine work's well, is totally reliable, fun to ride and has taken me all over the city where I live.
I will never ride an e-trike again they have many faults two being they are prone to tipping over and you cannot make sharp enough turns to avoid the traffic around you like you can with a two wheeler I noticed this for a fact I built one in March, of this past year and within 15 minutes I was in the hospital with broken bones I would not recommend electric trikes to anyone unless they absolutely had to use them instead of a two-wheeler because they cannot ride a two-wheeler anymore for some reason and then it would be small wheels and a slow go momentum ride on bike paths whenever possible watch out for everybody else because it's hard for them to see you if you have one that's low to the ground like recumbent trikes use flags install mirrors on both sides of the bike and ware a lot of reflective material a helmet and be careful of your surroundings at all times.

Back