• Hello new members! Please sign up using Facebook, Gmail, Twitter or an Email Address! We are the friendliest electric bike group on the internet. All ebikers are welcome here, any riding style and any age!

Factory build... or DIY ebike Kit?

NEPMTBA

What makes you happy?

Ride a factory built E or build one from a kit or scratch to ride?

Disclaimer, no illegal builds or modded out units.

scottxpc

I'll put my vote in for factory clean lines motor and battery integrated into frame more streamlined and warranty!

Bigwheel

DIY provides me with the features I am looking for at a low cost to play. But the big thing is that I can adjust on the fly due to open source goods instead of proprietary manufacturer products. I have already made the switch to 2170 cells for a $600 battery that I can use on all three of my eBikes. They aren't much to look at but get the job done.

custom ebikes DIY.jpg

At some point I want to get an integrated motor type eMTB but waiting until the right unit becomes available.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jim Oswald

Can anyone get me started on my journey to get my wife into an E-bike. I rented a Rad and we liked it, but being a DYI-er, I realized there are components I could install myself. She has a Specialized step-through hybrid with 21 speeds. Will components give me the same usablity, safety, etc? Brand? Where to install the motor? How many watts needed for some local hill riding on pavement/fire roads? Thanks.