ERROR CODE 21 BBS02 Found speed sensor wire rubbed

Craig27X

Local time
7:34 AM
Well need some Help ! BBS02 Speed Sensor ERROR 21. I found a rub mark on the wire coming out of the motor to the sensor . I think whats going on is one of the 3 fine wires in that cable has broke. My light comes on indicating the sensor is seeing the dowell on the spoke, but spinning the tire is not showing any mph on my DCP 18 Display. Then Shortly there after it quits & I get a ERROR code 21 on the display. I have looked at the Vids on fixing Error Code 21 & have tried all except replacing the controller. I really think I need to try a new Speed sensor cable before putting in a controller. So where would I get one of those & do I have to pull the motor off the bike to replace. Bummer as I may have 35 miles on this bike. PS, How do you clear error codes on your historical error code display ? Thanks

Well need some Help ! BBS02 Speed Sensor ERROR 21. ...
I got an Error 21 code once when something popped up and misaligned the sensor and the magnet attached to the spoke. WhenOnce you get things working again cover the cabling coming out of the controller with shrink tubing to protect it.

Yes Alignment is correct as the Red light on the end of the speed sensor is on ---indicating that it does see the magnet. So like I said its either one of the 3 pin wires are broke back in the cable where the rub occurred or its the controller itself. Good idea on the shrink tube. Will to that this time around. Thanks

Yes Alignment is correct as the Red light on the end of the speed sensor is on ---indicating that it does see the magnet. So like I said its either one of the 3 pin wires are broke back in the cable where the rub occurred or its the controller itself. Good idea on the shrink tube. Will to that this time around. Thanks
Pull the controller, cut, and resplice the wire close to the case? I have replaced the controller and you don't need to pull the motor to swap it out.

Well that is a 3 wire line which appears to be all molded into in the same sheath. So I have inquiries out for just a new wire cable & will see if thats an option. Yes replacing the controller is another option & I have an E mail out on that too. Pulling that like you said will be new to me but I can do it. Shame if I have to go that way as I think the controller is still fine. Still playing with the cable trying to get it to work but even if I do, not sure its a long term solution.

Well that is a 3 wire line which appears to be all molded into in the same sheath. So I have inquiries out for just a new wire cable & will see if thats an option. Yes replacing the controller is another option & I have an E mail out on that too. Pulling that like you said will be new to me but I can do it. Shame if I have to go that way as I think the controller is still fine. Still playing with the cable trying to get it to work but even if I do, not sure its a long term solution.
Save yourself the time and buy a new controller so you can ride, then work on the damaged wire, it doesn't hurt having back-ups. Replacing the controller isn't that hard and the experience will make you feel more comfortable. You should also pull the chain ring gear case and add grease if you haven't.

Controller replacement: https://photos.app.goo.gl/G5bHVMQDH4wxP4rB7

Clutch change: https://photos.app.goo.gl/dhmEvtszvyBhMeCH8

Back