Engwe engine pro child seat

pmor

Local time
8:00 PM
hey folks,

I want to buy engwe engine pro, the updated 1000w one.
I was wondering if child seat (rear) is suitable for that kind of bike? I know there are seats wide enough to fit the rack, however what bothers me is the distance between my legs while I pedal and child legs (i hope thats understantable :)) In other words if the child would sit to close to me?

Engwe Pro does not have particularly long wheelbase, so distance between rider's legs & cargo rack is rather short;
not much room to fit a child seat on the rear rack.

The rear rack on the Engwe Pro is also wider than most bicycle industry standard child seat;
not easy to find a fitment that can accommodate the wide rear rack.

If your child is big enough to know to hold on to the rider while being transported, it would be ideal just to fit some padding for seating.
If child is small, consider a "center mount child seat":
kid-bike-seats.jpg

Engwe Pro does not have particularly long wheelbase, so distance between rider's legs & cargo rack is rather short;
not much room to fit a child seat on the rear rack.

The rear rack on the Engwe Pro is also wider than most bicycle industry standard child seat;
not easy to find a fitment that can accommodate the wide rear rack.

If your child is big enough to know to hold on to the rider while being transported, it would be ideal just to fit some padding for seating.
If child is small, consider a "center mount child seat":
kid-bike-seats.jpg

thanks for your reply mate,

My kid is 4yo, thats why i'd preffer a rear seat. I can see in the specs, that rear rack is 38cm long, 17,5cm wide - possible to fit child seats (i found even 20cm wide!).

Like look at this guy:
Best-Handling-E-Bike.jpg

his foot is in a place where i would expect a child leg... at least i picture it that way.

Anyways, I sent out emails to few shops as well, perhaps they could answer. And if i find an answer i promise to deliver :)

BTW, from the picture, the handlebar is mounted backwards; tilt of the folding stem should be away from the rider.

Rear seat really limits the field of vision for the child, not much fun for child to be staring at your backside for the majority of a bike ride.
Also difficult for you to communicate with child if you have to turn your head around to project your voice, take your eyes off the road.

Ordered the Urban Iki Junior seat for my Engwe EP-2 Pro and it fits perfectly on the carrier, its by far the best one on the market and well worth the price I got to say.

Child seats on bikes always scare the hell out of me, mainly due to the vulnerability of the child in the event of a fall (and the lack of rigorous safety testing which occurs with child car seats).

Here is a short piece from HealthyChidren.org, which is a website which shares health tips from the American Academy of Pediatrics (and thus has no commercial product bias):

A young passenger on an adult's bike makes the bike unstable and increases braking time. A mishap at any speed, even during casual rides, can cause significant injury to the child.

Following these guidelines decreases the risk, but keep in mind that it does not eliminate the risk of injury. Always use extra caution when biking with a young passenger.

1. Preferably, children should ride in a bicycle-towed child trailer.
  2. Only adult cyclists should carry young passengers.
  3. Preferably ride with passengers in parks, on bike paths or on quiet streets. Avoid busy thoroughfares and bad weather, and ride with maximum caution and at a reduced speed.
  4. Infants younger than 12 months are too young to sit in a rear bike seat and too young to wear a helmet. They should not be carried on a bicycle. Do not carry infants in backpacks or frontpacks on a bike.
  5. Children who are old enough (12 months to 4 years) to sit well unsupported and whose necks are strong enough to support a lightweight helmet may be carried in a child-trailer or rear-mounted seat.
  6. A rear-mounted bicycle passenger seat must
    • Be securely attached over the rear wheel
    • Have spoke guards to prevent feet and hands from being caught in the wheels
    • Have a high back and a sturdy shoulder harness and lap belt that will support a sleeping child
  7. A lightweight infant bike helmet should always be worn by a young passenger to prevent or minimize head injury. Small styrofoam helmets that meet Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) standards are available.
  8. The child must be strapped into the bike seat with a sturdy harness.
  9. Remember that the risk of serious injury still exists when you carry a young child on your bicycle.

Ordered the Urban Iki Junior seat for my Engwe EP-2 Pro and it fits perfectly on the carrier, its by far the best one on the market and well worth the price I got to say.

Hi, is it working well with this seat ? i am willing to buy an Engwe Engine X but I am wondering if a child seat is a good idea. I am thinking that a fat bike with a lower gravity center will be better to drive with a 6 years old kid than my actual e-bike which is much more higher with normal wheel.

Hi, is it working well with this seat ? i am willing to buy an Engwe Engine X but I am wondering if a child seat is a good idea. I am thinking that a fat bike with a lower gravity center will be better to drive with a 6 years old kid than my actual e-bike which is much more higher with normal wheel.
Hi, yeah it works great. It's probably the best on the market, I highly recommend it.

Hi, I am also thinking of getting this model and attaching a bike seat like the one you mentioned. Do you think the back rack that's included with this model is strong enough to support a child?

thanks for your reply mate,

My kid is 4yo, thats why i'd preffer a rear seat. I can see in the specs, that rear rack is 38cm long, 17,5cm wide - possible to fit child seats (i found even 20cm wide!).

Like look at this guy:
Best-Handling-E-Bike.jpg

his foot is in a place where i would expect a child leg... at least i picture it that way.

Anyways, I sent out emails to few shops as well, perhaps they could answer. And if i find an answer i promise to deliver :)
Did you managed to put child sit to this bike?

Back