eMoped Thread

If you feel that 40 mph speed is the way to stay safe on public roads, then it's likely that you've bullied your whole life by drivers to believe that.
I've been cycling among traffic since the late 80's, including a 10-week, coast-to-coast self-support ride from Seattle to Ocean City, MD as a teen.
As a bicycle messenger in my late teens in SF, Seattle & NYC.
I've had my share of close calls with motorists, but always know my rights as a public road user.

For majority of the world, bicycles are used as mode of transportation, respected among motorists on public roadways.
In the US, bicycles & motorcycles are considered toys, don't belong on the road as cars & truck.

Car culture in the USA have developed (mindset &) infrastructure suited for cars & trucks, everything else that can't keep up with motor vehicle speed is considered "unsafe".

It is only "unsafe" when entitled motorists decide to disrespect others on the road.
When you're on public roads, anyone has the right to be there just as much as the cars & trucks.

To change the mindset that only car & trucks belong on public roads takes all kinds.

"Ride the loophole" That is an epic term you've just coined, biknut. (y)

Only one thing, though: Mopeds are defined in a lot of places as being speed limited to 25 mph. Or 28 mph. Limited to 750 W motor. Etc. At that point, it's not a loophole any more, but just praying that the local cops will not notice. ;)
After a lifetime of riding motorcycles from Honda's to Harley's, I finally bought a real mans bike in 2011, A Tomos Sptint moped. In Texas, mopeds are restricted to 30 mph top speed. The first time I took it out on a busy street it scared the crap out of me. In Dallas 30 mph is like begging someone to run you over just to teach you a lesson. I solved that shortcoming with a few hundred dollars in upgrades, which got me up to about 42 mph. That felt reasonably safe, as far as street bikes go. I'd much rather explain to a judge, than Saint Peter, but so far I've never had to.
This was Black Sheep. I sold it after a year, because I didn't like having to register, and insure it. That's when I decided to exploit the loophole.
Black Sheep.jpg

I've been riding motorcycles for over 25 years, IC engine dirt bikes for over 30 years.
Bk36iry.jpg

I've met plenty of driver who tried to run me off the road while on bicycles, motorcycles or scooters.

Maybe TX folks can be more aggressive, but in NYC there are plenty of drivers that don't have insurance, not even license driving in everyday traffic. When accidents occur, they don't even bother to stop and just drive off.

I make sure I am aware of my surroundings, I make sure the drivers see me well in advance, I position myself on the road to be seen and give drivers (& myself) enough time to react after seeing me; regardless what kind of vehicle I operate.

It doesn't cost more than $500 annually to keep my (currently) 3 motorcycles & two vintage Honda insured, and legally operating on public streets.
My 125cc (red) Honda can hit about 55-60 mph on a downhill in a tuck, C70 can get up to about 45 mph.
SeoKuHj.jpg

Something of a monster truck of e-moped:
AndersonSilvaEdition_1800x1800.png

Here's what I think of when someone says moped. All the mopeds I remember had a step through frame like this one.

I never owned one but a friend of mine collected them and had four or five of them. They were really not meant to be pedaled maybe downhill to the gas station.

Interesting thing at least all the ones I was familiar with had a bike chain on the right for pedaling and a heavier chain and sprockets on the left side for the motor drive.

All these ebikes that are called moped style I would call mini bike style.

Attachments

• image_2023-04-22_160553517.png
    image_2023-04-22_160553517.png
    402.9 KB · Views: 89
Something of a monster truck of e-moped:
AndersonSilvaEdition_1800x1800.png
Nice find. Not sure how one could go wrong at that price with a reasonably priced spare cell. Bikes like this at that price point must drive competitors mad.

If I was going to spend that kind of money I would spend a bit more and get an e dirt bike, with a serious drive train. no hub motors and bicycle drive.

Attachments

• image_2023-04-23_083318773.png
    image_2023-04-23_083318773.png
    214.7 KB · Views: 89
If I was going to spend that kind of money I would spend a bit more and get an e dirt bike, with a serious drive train. no hub motors and bicycle drive.

As ignorant as I am as to what's out there; I would agree and stand corrected after a quick glance at the above specs. and price.

I disagree.

Dual hub motor AWD would serve better as a dirt bike than a mid-drive that rely on chain & drivetrain to provide moving power with no pedal (such as SuRon).

^^^^^^^^. Aaaahhhhhh...now there's a debate worth having in terms of both efficiency and dependability ('bulletproofness') concerning a bike which will obviously get the tar beat out of it offroad....(y)

For "off-road", dual motor that offer All-Wheel Drive is just more ideal than single wheel drive (Sur-Ron).
Dependability of not relying on chain & drivetrain is just another bonus.

Re. Su Ron, they're $4400; about double the price of current eMopeds. If you're going to do that, you might as well just get a 150cc gas scooter for under $3k and just pay for registration and insurance.

Su-Rons are also not street legal, as they're faster than mopeds but can't be licensed, and lacking any pedals, they're not in The eBike Loophole.

Yea I realize the Sur-Ron isn't street legal and can't be ridden a lot of places that an ebike can. I live in the San Juan Mountains in Colorado so there are a lot of places I could ride a bike like the Sur-Ron. I was just saying for me if I was going to spend something like $3,500 for the APEX I would go ahead and spend another grand and get a serious e-dirt bike. That APEX isn't actually street legal either with 2000W and a top speed of 35mph but since it does have pedals you probably wouldn't have any trouble though.

Your specific wording is "dirt bike", so street legality is out the window to begin with.
If you want a serious e-dirt bike, two-wheel drive is likely on top of any serious dirt bike riders' priority.
IMO, Sur-Ron is a cool looking ebike, beyond that; the performance isn't really worth the cost.
Function over aesthetics, that's what I learned to prioritize about cycling in the last four decades.

Hello everyone, new here. I just got a Revv 1, & It came relatively unscathed. But I've noticed a wobble in the rear mag wheel when I get up some speed but goes away the second I let go of the throttle. The rear rim isn't true, and I demonstrated this by affixing a zip tie over the outer edge of the rim and spinning the wheel. I made a video of this and sent it to Ride1UP support as per their request. The bottom line is that the technician said after reviewing the video (and I'm quoting word for word):

"Thank you for sharing this with us. In reviewing this with the development team, the conclusion is this is within tolerance. There is an established manufacturing rim tolerance of 5mm side-to-side play and this appears to be within that. In addition, there is nothing shown to indicate the axle is damaged in any way. Those axles are hardened steel and one of the strongest parts of the bike second only to the bottom bracket spindle. The part is very strong and they rarely fail during normal operation."

So, my question is 5mm side to side play? I'm thinking it's 0.5mm from what I've read. I don't think you can even come to a definitive measurement from a video. There is a big problem with Revv 1's and wobbling rear wheels. I feel like I'm just getting the brush off. Admittedly my wheel isn't the worst example I've seen, but it's there and I won't even ride the bike. It's sitting in my garage with 9 miles on the odometer. So, is 5mm of side to side play acceptable on a brand new $2,400 bike?

Attachments

• Revv1.mp4
    6.4 MB
I've had 6 different e-moped type biked that have cast wheels, never had a cast wheel go out of true like that.
Some of them have survived streets of NYC with potholes, metal planks, etc.. very rare to have cast wheels go out of true, mostly just dented rim lips.

That's a bummer, all of my ebikes with cast wheels are purchased through AliEx or Alibaba;
none of them are over $2k even with shipping from China.
Hopefully, Ride1Up will do you right.

They said it was "within well-established industry tolerance of 5mm" I emailed them back saying it wasn't within my tolerances.

After a lifetime of riding motorcycles from Honda's to Harley's, I finally bought a real mans bike in 2011, A Tomos Sptint moped. In Texas, mopeds are restricted to 30 mph top speed. The first time I took it out on a busy street it scared the crap out of me. In Dallas 30 mph is like begging someone to run you over just to teach you a lesson. I solved that shortcoming with a few hundred dollars in upgrades, which got me up to about 42 mph. That felt reasonably safe, as far as street bikes go. I'd much rather explain to a judge, than Saint Peter, but so far I've never had to.
This was Black Sheep. I sold it after a year, because I didn't like having to register, and insure it. That's when I decided to exploit the loophole.
View attachment 8525

I had a Tomos 2-speed back in the 80's. 40mph. It was only $550 new back then.

Looks like there is a new benchmark for e-mopeds.

2000w hub motor, 60V 20Ah battery, under $2k

Back