Electric bike carriers for transporting ebike?

Mark

Local time
8:14 PM
Where can I purchase an electric bike carriers for transporting my ebike? I like to take my bike on holiday with me but I can't seem to find any particular way to carry it on the roof of my car.

Does anyone have any ideas?

I'm not sure what you mean by electric bike carriers, just search for regular bike racks or roof racks for bikes.

All the bike racks I've seen online say that they should not be used for electric bicycles because of the weight.

I just take the battery off and put it in my car. The battery is the heaviest part of an ebike. That way the ebike doesn't weigh much more than a regular bike. I've had no problems carrying my ebike this way :)

Just search for a heavy dutuy platform bicycle carrier. They usually mount to the rear towbar and have added weight capacity. Here this one supports up to 80lbs - https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-HITCH-MO...TY-2-BIKE-BICYCLE-1-25-TRUCK-CAR/182188266027

ebike bicycle rack.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Where can I purchase an electric bike carriers for transporting my ebike? I like to take my bike on holiday with me but I can't seem to find any particular way to carry it on the roof of my car.

Does anyone have any ideas?
I am a welder , ironworker, and I am building a ebike carrier that will hold 400 pounds

what Bob said. Remove batteries and get a decent bike carrier like the one pictured above by Johnbush.

Generally carriers rated for bikes 50lbs (22.6kg) or more is a good start. Also depending on bike style, (fat tire) and carrier style you may need to look out for those situations. I really enjoy the Thule easy fold xt2.

Go to Harbor Freight in the USA or Princess Auto in Canada and buy their $150 motorcycle hitch carrier. Add two tie-down straps and you're good to go. They handle at least 500 lbs. and any size fat tire too.
I'm about to do that exact thing this weekend.

I just take the battery off and put it in my car. The battery is the heaviest part of an ebike. That way the ebike doesn't weigh much more than a regular bike. I've had no problems carrying my ebike this way :)
Um, you'd better check on the specific eBike. Mine weighs a LOT more than a regular bike even without the battery.

Just search for a heavy dutuy platform bicycle carrier. They usually mount to the rear towbar and have added weight capacity. Here this one supports up to 80lbs - https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-HITCH-MO...TY-2-BIKE-BICYCLE-1-25-TRUCK-CAR/182188266027

View attachment 67
I have one like that for my mtn bike and girlfriends. It's ok for them but any e bike is more than 35lbs per side and it will not work. 80lbs total 35lbs per bike on this one. The hoops will tear off from e bike weight. Problem with this situation is if you buy the heavy duty kind you still have to lift it one tire at a time onto them. With my back problems and knees there no way I can do it. E bike are heavy so just be smart on which rack you can afford. For me I found on with ramp and good for 500lbs and the ramp saves me a lot of pain. On amazon it's about $200 I found this one online at Boston for $160. I hope soon someone will make it out off aluminum.

Attachments

• 20221008_153750.jpg
    20221008_153750.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 116
  • 20221008_130653.jpg
    20221008_130653.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 110
  • 20221019_110756.jpg
    20221019_110756.jpg
    321.2 KB · Views: 113
  • 20221010_185811.jpg
    20221010_185811.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 123
Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
I was able to buy an unused Hyperax Volt 2 on eBay for $65. Listing said it was missing some 6mm bolts and straps. When the package arrived, I found nothing missing. I am wondering if someone bought it, made up a reason to return it, and later it was sold to a liquidator.

In any case, I cannot complain about the rack. Holds two bikes and a total load up to 140#. Might have even bought it at the regular price ($345 on Amazon). :)

I will need to get crossbars for the bikes, however, as they are both step-throughs.

There is no way to carry an ebike on the roof of your car that I have seen. These ebikes are very heavy, as compared to standard type bikes. Mine weighs 85 lbs(with battery), there is no way I would attempt to lift this over head to put on a cars roof.

There is no way to carry an ebike on the roof of your car that I have seen. These ebikes are very heavy, as compared to standard type bikes. Mine weighs 85 lbs(with battery), there is no way I would attempt to lift this over head to put on a cars roof.
Ya, no way.

Back