Electric Bicycle Battery Packs - What Does "S" and "P" Stand For?

Anton

Admin
Staff member
Local time
1:14 AM
S and P stands for Series and Parallel on an electric bicycle battery pack.
  • S is the number of batteries connected in series or (+) to (-).
  • P is the number of batteries connected in parallel or (+) to (+)and (-) to (-)
eg. A 3S5P Battery Pack has 3 batteries in Series (S) and 5 batteries in Parallel (P)
3S5P 10.8v Ebike Battery Pack.jpg

eg. A 13S14P Battery Pack has13 batteries in Series (S) and 14 batteries in Parallel (P)
13s14p 46.8v ebike battery pack.jpg

Battery cells connected in series increases the voltage of the pack, whereas battery cells connected in parallel increases the amperage of the pack.

Last edited:
S and P stands for Series and Parallel on an electric bicycle battery pack.
  • S is the number of batteries connected in series or (+) to (-).
  • P is the number of batteries connected in parallel or (+) to (+)and (-) to (-)
eg. A 3S5P Battery Pack has 3 batteries in Series (S) and 5 batteries in Parallel (P)
View attachment 56

eg. A 13S14P Battery Pack has13 batteries in Series (S) and 14 batteries in Parallel (P)
View attachment 57

Battery cells connected in series increases the voltage of the pack, whereas battery cells connected in series increases the amperage of the pack.
You said series twice. Think you meant parallel the second time

I'm trying to help a friend fix her ebike battery. Old battery died less than year old. She paid for another. It died after one ride. I don't think it is charger. Bike company won't return her emails.
I have worked with alot of electrical and electronics, but not an expert. I'm dissecting hers and want to get good and repairing these for cheap. Maybe a side job for retirement or something.

she should be hounding them for a battery replacement thru emails, phone calls whatever. all lithium batteries ive seen sold online have a 1 year warranty. even chinese batteries which i do not recommend as many companies are unethical and some companies (i think most of the chinese companies) will ship you a so called new battery that may contain recycled or substandard batteries.

Back