Ecotric folding ebike....

canis2022

Local time
9:13 AM
My wife has decided that since she's retiring and will have more free time, she wants to get a folding ebike. I've had a fat tire BPM for a couple of years so her concerns about how much we would use them have diminished. She set a limit as to how much she was willing to pay. We found a folding Ecotric fat tire for around $800 bucks. The question I have is... has anyone heard of these and if so,how do they holdup?

How these folding fat bikes hold up depends on how heavy the rider is, how often they are ridden, how the battery is stored when not in use.
Folding fat tire ebike can be heavy, it may be difficult to transport these ebikes, sometime even difficult to fold them; a mistake in folding can damage a wire and render the ebike to malfunction.
I have bought a similar fat tire folding ebike with 500w motor for my FIL back in 2017.
He's 84 this year, about 150 lb., he's been riding it couple time a week to his favorite fishing spot in Queen, NY and going to grocery store. He doesn't transport the ebike on his car, so he doesn't really need the folding function.
Fat tires are cumbersome on pavement, but they do offer more stability with low tire pressure and less likely to get punctures. FIL doesn't pedal much, just use the throttle to get around, I'm glad he just gets outside more.
He's put maybe 800 miles on the ebike since 2017, zero issues, just put air in the tires, store the battery indoors for the winter, lube the chain and ride.

How these folding fat bikes hold up depends on how heavy the rider is, how often they are ridden, how the battery is stored when not in use.
Folding fat tire ebike can be heavy, it may be difficult to transport these ebikes, sometime even difficult to fold them; a mistake in folding can damage a wire and render the ebike to malfunction.
I have bought a similar fat tire folding ebike with 500w motor for my FIL back in 2017.
He's 84 this year, about 150 lb., he's been riding it couple time a week to his favorite fishing spot in Queen, NY and going to grocery store. He doesn't transport the ebike on his car, so he doesn't really need the folding function.
Fat tires are cumbersome on pavement, but they do offer more stability with low tire pressure and less likely to get punctures. FIL doesn't pedal much, just use the throttle to get around, I'm glad he just gets outside more.
He's put maybe 800 miles on the ebike since 2017, zero issues, just put air in the tires, store the battery indoors for the winter, lube the chain and ride.
Thanks for the reply. The reviews for the bike look pretty good. The only negative responses have been from people who probably shouldn't be riding ebikes in the first place. Things like falling off curbs etc. My wife weighs about 150 and was pretty athletic when she was younger. Our main interest is being able to load our two bikes in the back of the truck for trips to local parks etc. Thanks for the tip about possible damage due to folding. I think I'll recommend that she not fold it unless storing it for winter.

Fat tire ebikes can be heavy, I think the one my FIL has is around 70 lb.
Not difficult to lift, but just cumbersome to move around while lifted.
If you have a full size pickup with high bed, two of them could fit into the bed easily, but just have to lift them into the bed.
Back support is recommended.

The bike came yesterday and I started a new thread where I'll explain my first impressionions of the bike.

I have an Ecotric 48-500 watt folder I gave to my Daughter, its been ridden a fair amount trouble free. I had to put a rear rack on it, works pretty good.

I have an Ecotric 48-500 watt folder I gave to my Daughter, its been ridden a fair amount trouble free. I had to put a rear rack on it, works pretty good.
The only negative I'd say about hers is the brakes are not of good quality. I've had them apart several times to try to get the squeaking noise out of them. I have them working about as good as I can get them but, not good.

I have not personally heard of Ecotric folding ebikes, but many recommends them as a budget-friendly option. They note that while they may not have the highest quality components, they are generally reliable and suitable for casual riders.

The only negative I'd say about hers is the brakes are not of good quality. I've had them apart several times to try to get the squeaking noise out of them. I have them working about as good as I can get them but, not good.
You ever try a different type of pads? The new pads I put on my rider are noisy as all get out, hoping they will get quieter after a few good downhill heating events( on the plus side deer should be able to hear me coming)

Yes, I swapped out the pads that came with the bike for a good quality set of ceramic pads and did several more adjustments but, in the end this is one of the parts of the bike that the mfg. cut corners on. I got in touch with their customer service dept. and they pretty much told me to fly a kite. The bike is OK for short trips on level ground but, not much else.

I am in the process of converting a "Peacedove" into something a little better and its a struggle, the stock bike is fine for many people,I tried to convert into a "reverse trike" finally threw in the towel, wanted to'middrive it, the BB was rather strange.

Back