• Hello new members! Please sign up using Facebook, Gmail, Twitter or an Email Address! We are the friendliest electric bike group on the internet. All ebikers are welcome here, any riding style and any age!

eBike Upgrades

mtbbiker

I don't know about you guys, but before ebikes, I use to suffer from a bad strain of upgradiatias. I use to get the itch for a new MTB about every 6 months and then have a new bike few months later. Since getting my Intense Tazer, I have not been bitten by the upgradiatias bug for another ebike. Maybe that's because in the states, we don't have as many options or there aren't huge changes yet, but I honestly love my bike. The only upgrades on my mind have been suspension stuff.

How about you guys?

matt4x4

I seem to be rolling through more and more different ebike setups lately. Mainly because my last setup the windings burnt due to a long ass hill and no temp sensor installed, plus chain issues. But overall I've switched between mid drive or hub, geared or not. Wimpy power or not.

I actually downgraded on the current setup to a wimpy power ebike and I like the way it forces me to pedal way more then before, maybe a real torque sensor would be in order but they are just really too expensive and I cant see myself upgrading to a torque sensoro on whatever setup I have. Hopefully soon I will be back to an upgraded more powerful ebike kit. I got the BIG Leaf hub ready to go for the summer, just gotta figure out what speeds I want with the voltage and distances I want to get.

With the mild winter, I pretty much did not follow through with the cyclone mid drive on fatty.

I just seem to tinker on all my builds, upgrading and downgrading just so I can ride the ebike.

Druder

I don't have upgrade fever for a new bike but rather components as per usual. I've already converted my entry level Deore to XT and plan to do a fork damper. For the price I paid I can build the equivalent of a $6k bike for less than half that.

Gutch

Hmm, so you can build an ebike equivalent to a 6k YT Decoy for 3k or less? Maybe you should start production! JK, I get what you’re saying, kinda...

Druder

The higher level AllMtn like mine was $6.6k, it has the same frame with some better components. My old bike wasn't worth fixing so I took the XT 1x11 off it along with all of the contact points, cost me $50 to retrofit because of I Spec incompatibility. I plan to do some other small things but I'm at $2700 right now and have all the features I wanted when I started looking. I absolutely did not mean it's a better bike than any $6k bike, but with a damper upgrade it's on par with the next level up in the AllMtn line. My goal was to spend less by the time I'm done than I would have on the Giant that got me interested in ebikes. Component wise I've already surpassed that bike minus the wheelset.