Ebike convert, but will buy later

Ride South

Local time
7:38 PM
I tried an ebike rental on holiday and it went very well. Trying it gave me a vision for the future. Ebikes seem to create so many opportunities for people to use bikes more and people that didn´t have a bike to get one and for people that are mismatched in fitness to go together. For old, young, overweight, disabled, unfit etc etc. I can see them growing and growing steadily for decades. I think eventually after a very long time they will be sold and used in similar amounts to bicycles, cars etc.

At the moment I do about 1,000 miles a year by bicycle and about 9,000 by car.

I don´t think an ebike is a good fit for me now. The reason is that most of my journeys are either 6 miles or less for a return journey (where a normal bicycle is perhaps better for fitness reasons, or at least it isn´t worth the cost of an ebike) or 50-100 mile journeys, which better by car.

However I think there´s a good chance I´ll get one at some point. In the mean time I want to learn more about ebikes.

I am also very interested in climate change and promoting a low-carbon lifestyle and I think that ebikes might be one of the things that help make a low-carbon lifestyle about getting cool things rather than giving up things.

If you had one, you'd probably use it more than you think. It wouldn't be as much exercise as a regular bike, but if you used it more frequently the exercise would still be there. I use pedal assist 2&3 and my legs still feel it after a ride because I'm riding further and longer that I would on a regular bike. Plus it's a lot of fun!

<snip>

I don´t think an ebike is a good fit for me now. The reason is that most of my journeys are either 6 miles or less for a return journey (where a normal bicycle is perhaps better for fitness reasons, or at least it isn´t worth the cost of an ebike) or 50-100 mile journeys, which better by car.

<snip>
My daily commute is 4 miles. (2 each way) I like eBike commuting because I don't have to arrive to work sweaty, even when it's hot outside.

Regaring the fitness aspect, I find myself doing local errands on my eBike where I would have used my car previously. I figure that makes up for less effort on the commutes.

Welcome, from Wisconsin, USA.

Back