Ebike cannot be repaired - Ordica Neo

Trimor

Local time
8:02 PM
My Ordica Neo Classic EBike with Hub Motor broke down 7 weeks ago and so far there is no indication that it can be repaired. Only 2 years and 4 months old. Am I right in lodging a claim with VCAT?

@Trimor - I wasn’t familiar with this particular eBike as I own a Himiway Cruiser but according to their site they offer a 3 year frame warranty, 1 year motor and battery (2 years if bike is registered on their site). Have you contacted their customer service to see if they might discount the replacement parts at least? Have you determined what component has failed on the bike?

Thanks for your comment. I was informed that there were no parts available for my Ordica Neo Classic and that they would have to be made. This is most unlikely and unusual . I understood that all manufacturers had to keep parts for some time after the model changed. I can only suggest that anybody buying an Ordica need to be wary.

Thanks for your comment. I was informed that there were no parts available for my Ordica Neo Classic and that they would have to be made. This is most unlikely and unusual . I understood that all manufacturers had to keep parts for some time after the model changed. I can only suggest that anybody buying an Ordica need to be wary.
Bummer.

Just received a phone call stating that bike had been repaired! All now well after nearly 8 weeks. Matter resolved.

Just received a phone call stating that bike had been repaired! All now well after nearly 8 weeks. Matter resolved.
That's good to hear, looks like the Ordica is an Australian Designed & Engineered electric bike. Good on you for supporting a local ebike company.

2 years and 4 months is a pretty good run. It looks like you were just over the 2 year warranty for the motor and battery.

Did they tell you what the problem was?

Glad to hear that you were able to get your bike repaired. In a previous post I mentioned that I have bought actual e-bikes in 2015 (Schwinn Tailwinds) and before that kits for my regular hybrid bikes. The main problem that I have with the actual e-bikes is when things go wrong. Schwinn’s battery began to wear out after 2 years and a replacement was over $900. I paid only $600 for the bike in 2014 on eBay. No other battery out there would’ve fit the battery holder, and the replacement was almost impossible to find as Schwinn stopped making them. The bike sat in my basement until I bought a conversion kit and new battery. I’m still riding this reborn bike today, and replacing damaged parts is not a problem. I’m now learning about building my own battery packs. I do love the integration of parts with the bike frame when you buy an actual e-bike but being married to the company for parts proved to be too expensive. One thing that I do now is to have extra parts (throttle, brake levers, controller, display) in case they become obsolete. Since you need specific parts for your bike you might want to consider this while they’re still available. They are usually not expensive. All four items cost me about $100 US total. And enjoy your bike, it’s a beauty!

Glad to hear that you were able to get your bike repaired. In a previous post I mentioned that I have bought actual e-bikes in 2015 (Schwinn Tailwinds) and before that kits for my regular hybrid bikes. The main problem that I have with the actual e-bikes is when things go wrong. Schwinn’s battery began to wear out after 2 years and a replacement was over $900. I paid only $600 for the bike in 2014 on eBay. No other battery out there would’ve fit the battery holder, and the replacement was almost impossible to find as Schwinn stopped making them. The bike sat in my basement until I bought a conversion kit and new battery. I’m still riding this reborn bike today, and replacing damaged parts is not a problem. I’m now learning about building my own battery packs. I do love the integration of parts with the bike frame when you buy an actual e-bike but being married to the company for parts proved to be too expensive. One thing that I do now is to have extra parts (throttle, brake levers, controller, display) in case they become obsolete. Since you need specific parts for your bike you might want to consider this while they’re still available. They are usually not expensive. All four items cost me about $100 US total. And enjoy your bike, it’s a beauty!
Your issues with proprietary parts is what had me buying a Himiway All Terrain Fat Tire. Virtually all of the components are somewhat universal. Also the construction/design of the bike allows for changing components for performance enhancement or replacement with off the shelf items. So with a little mechanical skills you can maintain this type of bike for years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, Hoggdoc, many parts are universal and that helps with repairs. But Schwinn had their own controller designed to accept their own replacement parts. I’m much wiser now with e-bike repairs and realized that it’s just the connections many times that are different but the wiring is the same. If you pay attention to voltage and amps finding comparable parts isn’t usually a problem. When replacing a throttle once I had to snip the input wires on the controller and connect a new input end that would accept my throttle. It worked perfectly! Batteries are a different story. Be prepared to pay a fortune for a new one if they’re built into the bike’s frame! Hoggdoc’s bike looks like it has a “Dolphin” type of battery which is easily replaced when it finally dies down.

Last edited:
Back