E-Bikes that rides like a motorcycle for first time riders

E-ZRider

Local time
5:45 AM
Hello,

I am looking for a full suspension e-bike that rides like a motorcycle, as I want something that would give a similar feeling while being more efficient and reliable. Trying to go for something higher performance but under 2500 US dollars and not something that would kill a new rider. Also looking for one that can take dirt well. So far the bike i'm most interested in is the Ariel Rider X-Class and have considered the Bee Challenger.

Does anybody also have experience with the Massimo Urban Runner? Looks cheap but is also tempting since the reviews online seem to be mostly positive.

I've been riding motorcycles for two over two decades, bicycles over three decades, converting regular bicycles to ebikes since 2014.
Depending on what type of motorcycle you are used to riding, I doubt there is any ebike that can get up to triple digit speeds at $2500 budget.
But even my $450 Ninja 250 can squeeze to triple digit speed if need to.
g9AgFLX.jpg

My latest ebike purchased from AliExpress is probably closest to the Massimo Urban Runner.

muAdLrd.jpg

Still the ebike is far from the capabilities of any of my motorcycles.

I've been riding motorcycles for 40+ years, and after over a year of looking, for my money, I bought an X-52

Attachments

• 317084471_10229961593605896_5763530817616753420_n.jpg
    317084471_10229961593605896_5763530817616753420_n.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 141
  • 314742068_10229804545359788_2469184549241239780_n.jpg
    314742068_10229804545359788_2469184549241239780_n.jpg
    464.9 KB · Views: 154
I've been riding motorcycles for two over two decades, bicycles over three decades, converting regular bicycles to ebikes since 2014.
Depending on what type of motorcycle you are used to riding, I doubt there is any ebike that can get up to triple digit speeds at $2500 budget.
I don't think he meant THAT particular aspect of motorcycles. ;-)

He meant rides like a motorcycle, as in it has suspension and won't pound the butt or spine with every crack in the pavement.

How are the brakes on that AliExpress bike? Quiet? Hydraulic? (that is one motorcycle aspect worth pursuing...)

E-ZRider: I'm looking for something like that too.

Ariel X-Class was the first one I was looking at, but I decided I don't want knobby tires, I want better traction on the street. I also want cast wheels, not spoked.

Add the Ride1Up Revv1 to your list and the Juice HyperScorpion and HyperScrambler. These are all near the top of your budget, but you shouldn't settle or you'll end up buying again and just spend more in the end. Buy once, cry once, in other words.

Take a browse in the new eMoped subforum here.

I think you'll need to spend more than $2500 for true high performance, but high performance is out there.
Sur Ron seat number 1 rs.jpg

There are electric motorcycles and electric scooters if you want a motorcycle experience. Anything that falls within the legal specification of an ebike will not be much of a motorcycle. The more motorcycle like they are, the less they can be efficiently pedaled.

I have ridden bikes for 62 years and I had motorcycles from 1971 until 2008. I always found that cycling and motorcycling were very different experiences and enjoyed both very much. I suppose that if my eBike had a throttle and the highest legal motor output and a motorcycle type seating position that they would become a very similar experiences with the ebike feeling like a very small, slow and underpowered motorcycle, so instead I ride a fairly light class 1 that feels like a traditional bike but makes me feel like I am 40 years younger.

My long winded point is that anyone that is looking for a motorcycle type experience on a true ebike will probably be disappointed.

Django, he’s looking for a motorcycle-like experience on a FALSE eBike.

Temper the expectations to “rides like a moped” and it might be more approachable.

Django, he’s looking for a motorcycle-like experience on a FALSE eBike.

Temper the expectations to “rides like a moped” and it might be more approachable.
To clarify, when I said “true” ebike, I was referring to an ebike with a specification that complies with the US Government’s definition of an ebike, (not an emoped, escooter or emotorcycle).

You should be able to find an eBike frame with full suspension, although if you're planning on complying with US Gov't eBike definitions, meaning either 20 or 28mph legal max speeds. In short order you'll probably find those speeds to be a bit lack luster in many dirt or street situations, if so, consider ditching the eBike idea and instead bite the bullet on an eMotorcycle instead. Not only will you have more fun, but it will be a safer engineered unit for both the street and dirt. As always, you pay for what you get.

He meant rides like a motorcycle, as in it has suspension and won't pound the butt or spine with every crack in the pavement.
Don't bother explaining the concept to some up here (again).
We went through this just recently with a newly released trike also truly riding like a motorcycle; namely Addmotor's fully suspended (groundbreaking) Soletri/Herotri models.

I have never witnessed more guys with supposed motorcycle experience have difficulty even acknowledging the benefits of ride suspension let alone instantly recognize its design incorporation to boot.

Let's just slow the roll here and help everyone catch up.... ;)

It's pretty obvious the OP wants an eBike with a suspension, although odds are he won't find a real "motorcycle like" suspension on an eBike because most motorcycles have considerably more mass, thus the suspension to handle it. All I'm just saying perhaps this guy may want to step it up a notch and move beyond the eBike category.

Don't bother explaining the concept to some up here (again).
We went through this just recently with a newly released trike also truly riding like a motorcycle; namely Addmotor's fully suspended (groundbreaking) Soletri/Herotri models.

I have never witnessed more guys with supposed motorcycle experience have difficulty even acknowledging the benefits of ride suspension let alone instantly recognize its design incorporation to boot.

Let's just slow the roll here and help everyone catch up.... ;)
Give a guy an electric tricycle with dual pogo sticks and all of a sudden they are a leading authority on motorcycles. If you think that that tricycle of yours compares in any way to a motorcycle, then you don’t have a clue about motorcycles.

As far as I am concerned, a bicycle should never pretend to be a motorcycle and a motorcycle should never pretend to be a bicycle. A “motorcycle like bicycle” performs poorly as a motorcycle as well as being a poor version of a bicycle.

Your opinions may vary.

Give a guy an electric tricycle with dual pogo sticks and all of a sudden they are the leading authority on motorcycles. If you think that that tricycle of yours compares in any way to a motorcycle, then you don’t have a clue about motorcycles.

As far as I am concerned, a bicycle should never pretend to be a motorcycle and a motorcycle should never pretend to be a bicycle. A motorcycle like bicycle performs poorly as a motorcycle as well as being a poor version of a bicycle.
Edit: I quoted @ETrike, but the post that I quoted has disappeared and the quote was replaced, (now I am quoting myself). I would have preferred that his rant had remained. It was very telling, but probably a bit too out there to be allowed on a forum that is not part of the dark web.

My response to @ETrike follows:

That was quite a word salad old timer.

I have nothing against “good” and well engineered suspension. It improves handling, traction and comfort. Poor and/or poorly engineered suspension can be or become a liability. Cheap suspension is a sales gimmick that will negatively affect handling and adds pounds to an already overweight and underpowered ebike.

My original comment had nothing to do with suspension. An ebike that is street legal in the USA is limited to 20 mph throttle assist and 28 mph pedal assist and in most places, the motor output is limited to 1000 watts and your whopping 750 watts equals all of a single horsepower.

When you add to this a seat that is not height adjustable and because of it’s width at the nose, inhibits pedaling, (the “banana seat” on your tricycle), you immediately remove any chance of this thing being useful as a bicycle, (tricycle in your case). So as I said, it seems to be poor as a bicycle and with such low allowable power output and assist speed, it doesn’t seem to be much of a motorcycle either.

An ebike that is designed to be an enhanced bicycle can be very satisfying to ride. A cruiser type ebike, with a throttle and even suspension can be pleasant as well, (just don’t expect it to be great at being pedaled or at being a motorcycle).

Based upon the two bikes he has zeroed in on, he wants one which looks like a minibike, a decent sized motor (1Kw to 2Kw), full suspension, and a big battery size. The top speeds of the two bikes he mentioned are 36Mph and 28Mph.

Back