E-Bike vs XC Bike Which is Faster? Comparison by BikeRadar

Apolonios

Local time
4:42 AM
Very interesting comparison. It seems that due to the weight of the E-Bike and the drag of the drive train its really hard to make it go faster than what the electric motor is capable of.

Last edited by a moderator:
Video really shows what a total non-threat the 250w pedelec is on mtb trails. A mod to one of those bikes only increases top speed. Does not effect power below the limit at all.

It's really contorted logic to say: oh, well they could have a BIG engine. Sure, you can rip off your smog control on your car too. Then it's illegal.

Let those who do use the 250w yamaha or boshe properly on trails where they are in effect just another mtb bike which can climb a bit faster.

Uhm, no. The line of demarcation is the motor. You can try to spin it any way you want but as long as it has a motor you're pissing in the wind.

Hi Walt

The bike I'm buying and most of the nice ones in the USA are powered by the Yamaha and Boshe systems which met the EU standard:

Cycles with pedal assistance which are equipped with an auxiliary electric motor having a maximum continuous rated power of 0.25 kW, of which the output is progressively reduced and finally cut off as the vehicle reaches a speed of 25 km/h (16 mph) or if the cyclist stops pedaling."

Except that cutoff is at 20mph.

This despite that US law:
"low speed electric bicycle" as a two or three wheeled vehicle with fully operable pedals, a top speed when powered solely by the motor under 20 mph (32 km/h) and an electric motor that produces less than 750 W (1.01 hp)" By comparison my KTM makes 50HP.

However USFS and BLM do not yet acknowledge the existence of these vehicles at all. Since there is such high sensitivity, I would not be against using the euro version of the definition with 20mph limit, because those bikes are easy to buy. They exist today in the USA. I don't think the 750w would really make a real world difference in user/user interaction, but you and I'm sure others do.

So, I would compromise :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back