E-bike user survey: charging pattern and userperspective

Lvz

Local time
4:28 PM
Attention, enthusiastic e-bike users!

I need 100 responses, please help me! Sharing is appreciated

Are you a proud owner of an e-bike or a fervent user of electric mobility? Then I need your help!

Currently, I'm working on my thesis for the Science, Business, and Innovation program at the Vrije Universiteit in Amsterdam. My research focuses on the e-mobility sector, specifically on e-bikes and e-scooters. I'm exploring market opportunities for a smart charger that optimizes users' charging patterns to extend the lifespan of these products' batteries. This research contributes to a more sustainable future and a more efficient e-mobility sector.

To conduct this research accurately, I need your help! Therefore, I kindly ask you to participate in my survey. This survey focuses on charging behavior and your perspective as an electric bike user.

Your participation will greatly assist me and contribute to a deeper understanding of this topic, which is not only helpful for my research but also important for the sustainability of the e-mobility sector.

You can participate in the survey by clicking on the following link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/FQJ6ZYG (please note the survey is in English)

Thank you very much for your cooperation and support in advance! If you have any questions or would like more information, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Best regards,

Done. This is a smart idea; an obvious evolution in eMobility charger tech.

I would like to point out that this can be accomplished approximately by a smart owner with just a timer, bit of education and math.

I think smart chargers will become the norm, just as they have become with smartphones and laptop computers.

Two ideas for two different models:
  1. Simple smart charger, with a user-selectable option to either charge to 80% or 100%
  2. Advanced charger/discharger, which could either charge or discharge the battery to 50% for storage, 20% for shipping or 80% for when the full range isn't needed. (and of course 100%, for when the full range is needed)

Done.

My question is, would this smart charger have selectable amp settings? I may need fast charging on occasion, and on such occasions, I would not care about optimal charging, except as it applies to optimal 5-amp charging, foe example.

Done.

My question is, would this smart charger have selectable amp settings? I may need fast charging on occasion, and on such occasions, I would not care about optimal charging, except as it applies to optimal 5-amp charging, foe example
Good question, I think that would be smart to implement!

Done. This is a smart idea; an obvious evolution in eMobility charger tech.

I would like to point out that this can be accomplished approximately by a smart owner with just a timer, bit of education and math.

I think smart chargers will become the norm, just as they have become with smartphones and laptop computers.

Two ideas for two different models:
  1. Simple smart charger, with a user-selectable option to either charge to 80% or 100%
  2. Advanced charger/discharger, which could either charge or discharge the battery to 50% for storage, 20% for shipping or 80% for when the full range isn't needed. (and of course 100%, for when the full range is needed)
Thank you, I will certainly take that into account with my further research ;)

Attention, enthusiastic e-bike users!

I need 100 responses, please help me! Sharing is appreciated

Are you a proud owner of an e-bike or a fervent user of electric mobility? Then I need your help!

Currently, I'm working on my thesis for the Science, Business, and Innovation program at the Vrije Universiteit in Amsterdam. My research focuses on the e-mobility sector, specifically on e-bikes and e-scooters. I'm exploring market opportunities for a smart charger that optimizes users' charging patterns to extend the lifespan of these products' batteries. This research contributes to a more sustainable future and a more efficient e-mobility sector.

To conduct this research accurately, I need your help! Therefore, I kindly ask you to participate in my survey. This survey focuses on charging behavior and your perspective as an electric bike user.

Your participation will greatly assist me and contribute to a deeper understanding of this topic, which is not only helpful for my research but also important for the sustainability of the e-mobility sector.

You can participate in the survey by clicking on the following link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/FQJ6ZYG (please note the survey is in English)

Thank you very much for your cooperation and support in advance! If you have any questions or would like more information, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Best regards,
Completed & shared, good luck & best wishes from the uk

I tried the survey. I do not understand Euros or metric numbers for my bike but I'm sure you know how to convert my English responses. From reading responses here, I am picking up on a need to not always fully charge my bike every ride. I have no idea how to do other than 100% (which my manual tells me to do). Yes, I would buy a smart charger if what I have (Himiway Cruiser and Beta Explorer) are not smart enough.

Very interesting project. It is no coincidence that you live in the Netherlands....

Just a modest suggestion: when asking for the maximum range experienced, you should consider that some people like me live in very hilly areas, and some do not. Not taking this into account can lead to a bias.

Good luck with your project!

Done. If this survey was directed towards the U.S. market it should have been done in miles and dollars. Yeah I know, we're stubborn about not switching to metric. We've tried but it didn't take!

On the "why did you buy new" question there was no option "because the one I wanted wasn't available used" which is why I had to buy new.

I tried the survey. I do not understand Euros or metric numbers for my bike but I'm sure you know how to convert my English responses. From reading responses here, I am picking up on a need to not always fully charge my bike every ride. I have no idea how to do other than 100% (which my manual tells me to do). Yes, I would buy a smart charger if what I have (Himiway Cruiser and Beta Explorer) are not smart enough.
In general, you dont want to charge 100% then let the battery pack sit for days on end. Ideally, charge the day before each bike ride only, and don't charge again unless you know you will get down to about 20% of battery capacity. If not sure, go ahead and charge it, just don't leave the battery charged more than a day without using it. And if you ate going to store the bike, keep the battery charged in the 40-80% range. Figures vary but definitely don't store a fully charged battery.

Very interesting project. It is no coincidence that you live in the Netherlands....

Just a modest suggestion: when asking for the maximum range experienced, you should consider that some people like me live in very hilly areas, and some do not. Not taking this into account can lead to a bias.

Good luck with your project!
Yess thanks for the advise, that is also why i asked where you live, because the surroundings may lead to more degradation of the battery!

Yes, there is no choice here: there is no way to ride more than 2-3 km on (almost) flat roads. So I never get a chance to test my Trek's real range on flat terrain.

Back