E bike solution for a VERY old person

JoeT

Local time
11:49 PM
We took the car keys away from my 94-year-old dad last week. For his age he is very active and currently is able to ride a two wheeler with good balance. He was devastated that we took his keys away but it was due to doctors orders. He will occasionally take a two wheeler on errands which might involve a 3 mile round-trip. He cannot ride the two wheeler when it’s hot outside and doesn’t have the endurance to do these trips regularly. Now that we took the car keys away I was hoping to find an Ebike solution which would allow him to run his errands whenever he wants to without getting worn out or affected by heat. I was thinking getting a lower power front wheel conversion kit might be a possibility.

Maybe this is just an all-around bad idea. Anything which would allow him to go faster than he normally does would increase the likelihood of an accident or injury.

Am I foolish to think there is way to limit the maximum speed at which the E bike assist motor would function? I am no expert but it seems like this technically this might involve a speed sensor and some kind of a motor cut off or power limiter. Please be merciful on flaming me for asking a dumb question. I am a complete newbie.

Thank you

Snoop

Local time
My own personal opinion would be to avoid biking in general at that age. Falls are just so dangerous with the elderly (just tripping on something at home, let alone falling off of a bicycle).

I guess it comes down to risk tolerance and how experienced and passionate the individual is about biking, but in my opinion it is rather dangerous at that age.

Have you thought about a tricycle? At least they are more stable, and more suitable for errands.

JoeT

Local time
Thank you for your thoughts.

Yes I bought him a Schwinn meridian a few days after we took his keys away. I rode it over to his house and he said “ I don’t want it and I don’t need it “ and did not even take it for a test ride. My initial plan was to put the motor on the front wheel of the trike. I am not sure if putting a motor on the trike is really a good idea either unless there is a way to limit the speed.
BB523E03-A51E-47CC-86DD-9B2E0D8FC4B9.jpeg

JerryB

Local time
8:49 PM
Would he consider a three wheel recumbent bike......they look sportier then the old fashion trikes......tell him all the young folks are riding them these days.......good luck......taking care of older parents is tough....been there.

"A"

Local time
Prior to the pandemic, I bought my FIL (80 y-o) a cheap, step-thru, fat tire ebike.
He used to ride it to his favorite fishing spot few miles from home and take short grocery runs.
Now he's 82, even though still 150 lb., he's been riding less and less.

Very difficult to make suggestions for 94 y-o without knowing the physical abilities.
I'd imagine a trike would be the safer option.
If rider is capable operating a trike but

My 80 y-o MIL had a minor stroke few years back, her balance on 2-wheel has never been so good since.
I also got her a micro, folding ebike to play around, I think she's still scared of using it on her own.
Basically, she's been using it with both her feet off the pedals & near the ground and just propel forward with the throttle,
450w motor, top speed of 25 kmh, but most of the time she keeps it under 15 kmh:
WQNqtb1.jpg

Top Bottom