E-Bike Riding Laws in Connecticut

Djphelan01

Local time
7:18 AM
I tried an E-bike and had a blast now I want one. I live in CT which is typically not a fun friendly state. I’m curious are their any riders who ride E-bikes in CT? If so where do you ride and have you had any issues? Are there places that allow or specifically say they are not allowed? Before I drop my money down I want to know if I’ll have places to ride. I also ride dirt bikes and there’s only 1 legal public place to ride them in CT, so I figured the state might have the same outlook for e-bikes.

Dj, sounds like CT rules are similar to those where I reside in CA. Fortunately there are fire roads here that can be ridden by licensed vehicles, but rarely are; these provide a nice venue for eMTB (for my wife and me).

Dj, you're a typical e+; I know many e-MTB riders and all but one still ride MTB as well as e-MTB. It's just a different experience on a different vehicle.

"The short answer is that all the major state and federal land management agencies in New England allow e-bikes only on trails which allow motorized recreation".

From here: Where Can Electric Mountain Bikes Be Ridden in New England | NEMBA
This is not entirely correct. In CT, class 1 and 2 e-bikes can be ridden on pathways and multi-use trails that have been engineered with surface materials such as gravel. crushed stone and perhaps other materials. They cannot be used on natural surface tread paths where the soil has been "cleared and graded" and where no surface materials have been added. Presumably this describes a single track mountain bike trail,, but not really. The typical mountain bike trail has not been significantly "cleared and graded", but is substantially full of small rocks, boulders, roots and other natural obstacles. So very confusing in practice. Class 3 e-bikes are prohibited from all pathways and multi-use trails. They are designed for faster travel along with automobiles on roadways. Why class 1 & 2, (particularly class 1) e-bikes are restricted from mountain bike trails is a mystery. There is little or no fact based scientific or engineering evidence to support this position. It is however, a discriminatory action against older and partially disabled riders who clearly benefit from power assisted bikes. Anyway hope this clarifies.

Back