E-bicycles with regenerative braking

Ok, ok, so up the dosage again, dude. Gators.... so no hills, ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, hence the washing machine motor, got it! So that would be taking you for a 1/3 of a ride, one thing I can do well is maximizing range. I think you have a little spittle at the corners of your mouth... need a hanky? Drive safe.

You have revealed yourself for the clueless moron you truly are, and a childish wannabe bully, as well.

Completely useless.

Ignored

Don't ignore him! It's good sport to point out his debility! By the way...have you seem that truck he calls a bike?!??:ROFLMAO:

You mean "the perfect touring bike"?

I cannot abide stupidity, don't like bullies, lying ignorant clowns just annoy me.

The waste of time outweighs the amusement value. Not worth the aggravation.

Someone needs to yank backwards on his shoulders until he hears the pop, when his head comes free.

Have been greatly amused trying to picture the device or whatever he thought was being used to somehow capture the heat from the disk and magically convert it into electricity, on a bicycle.

You have to wonder how someone can spend so much time kvetching about something they have no clue how it works.

Likely just because you can't have it on a mid-drive. Gotta keep those commissions up!

Regen braking is extremely useful as a brake, cost-saving, environmentally sound in wear and tear, and recovers a small amount of free power that would otherwise be used to harm friendly trees.

It adds little to no cost to those bikes which can use it, largely DD hub motors, the most reliable ebike motors as they have no moving parts other than a bearing. Some geared hubs with a locked clutch can also benefit from regen.

It's For The Brakes. The power saved is a bonus. Remember the trees.

Wow, some heavy emotion goin on here yikes...! I signed up just to reply to this thread as I am wholly curious about regen, hopefully the forum proves more useful than what is flailing about over here. I digress...

So, I recently bought an Engwe Engine Pro (https://engwe-bikes.com/products/usengine-pro-battery-pack-750w-high-performance-electric-bike). This ebike uses a geared hub motor AND also has regen, dubbed by Engwe, I-ERS (Intelligent energy recovery system). I have only riden about 20 miles just shakin the thing down so I cannot comment as to just how effective the system is, but according to the display, when in PAS 0 or 1 and traveling over 12mph without pedeling or throttle, the motor is sending electrons back to the battery. Engwe is not at all transparent regarding this feature so I am personally at a loss just how they get a geared hub motor to do it. Anyone care to explain this sans the anger. Thanks ahead of time!

I guess we would need to know the amount of energy recovered over a given period of time, and would it be negligible? Welcome to the forum.

I have the same Engwe bike since JAN 2020.
I've put about 1200 miles on it.
It's difficult to tell how much it extends the range of the Engwe ebike.
I don't really keep track how much battery gets charged via regen function.
But I've been getting 50-65 mile per charge on my Engwe, from fully charged to 1 bar remaining on display.
I recharge the battery when it gets to that level.
6OsnV12.jpg

I guess we would need to know the amount of energy recovered over a given period of time, and would it be negligible? Welcome to the forum.
Thanks for the welcome! The information I've gleaned thus far are summed best here.... https://www.foldingwheels.com/engwe-engine-pro-folding-electric-bike-750w/ scrolling about halfway down the page...

QUOTE:
"What sets Engwe Engine Pro apart from other hub motor e-bikes is the use of their I-ERS regenerative motor system that provides battery recharging while you ride. It is worth noting that there are conditions as to when the recharging takes place as explained in the section below.

When the regenerative system is working you will notice the amps on the display will go from green (using battery energy) to red (returning energy). With enough riding in the “red”, you will notice the overall battery indicator increase. Depending upon your riding this hub motor system, and the number of downhills, one could really extend the battery charge, thereby miles ridden on a charge.

Due to the regenerative feature, there is some drag on the hub motor. When standing with the e-bike and rolling it back and forth it is noticeable and can be felt in PAS 0. When biking in PAS 1 or higher the drag is much less noticeable, but you are also creating useable energy!

So what is I·ERS technology?​

Basic Questions about I-ERS​

• Q: What is I-ERS?
  • A: I-ERS is an intelligent energy regeneration system that will add charge to your battery during your ride that can extend the duration of your riding time.
  • Q: How does I-ERS power regeneration work?
  • I-ERS is designed to provide energy regeneration in one of two ways – 1) ride faster than 14 m.p.h. while in PAS 0/1 which will regenerate 20% of the excess energy back to the battery; or 2) the intelligent sensor will regenrate 60% of the energy created while going downhill since this does not require any energy consumption.
  • Q: Will the battery charging cycles be affected by I-ERS?
  • A: The simple answer is, no. I-ERS power regeneration technology keeps the lithium ions active during usage which increases the battery life. Lithium battery life is usually shortened by continual fully discharging the battery as opposed to recharging at 30-60 percent of charge capacity, not regulary charging your e-bike battery and lack of battery usage (meaning you need to be out riding)."
END QUOTE

The Engwe website is unhelpful as well. I have reached out to Engwe requesting the specific specs on their I-ERS feature but I have not heard back from them yet. HTH

Interesting video, 40000 km on a solar powered, regen recumbent ebike:

More info on regen:

Justin's talk on regen IS excellent, it was one of the first ebike videos I happened to see and I learned a lot from it. However, he does not go into a whole lot of detail about geared hub motors with regen like the Engwe Engine Pro seems to utilize. Unless I missed something... I'll have to watch the other video yet. @"A" Thank you for sharing both videos!

You're welcome.
The regen video is not model/brand specific, but principal applies to most if not all regen systems from hubs or brakes.
Engwe shows the regen function operation with its display, but I don't how accurate their system calculate the energy flow in their software.

My Engwe engine pro 750w folding will charge back down hill juice back into battery around 60% Engwe says and when in pedal assist in 1 or 2 when pedaling maybe 15%. I've had mone show it does and a little helps on rides

Attachments

• 2_03ff9045-5439-4af9-a4f5-cfa03d518458_1080x.jpg
    2_03ff9045-5439-4af9-a4f5-cfa03d518458_1080x.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 103
  • H6a0e6cfb2e7e4bc3a980fc158036818fU_1080x.jpg
    H6a0e6cfb2e7e4bc3a980fc158036818fU_1080x.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 100
  • H7f7e8be4669340cf95f9da97659d61d0T_1080x.jpg
    H7f7e8be4669340cf95f9da97659d61d0T_1080x.jpg
    258.1 KB · Views: 100
Back