E-bicycles with regenerative braking

"A"

Mini Cooper maker launches four new electric bicycles with regenerative braking

Motor & battery in rear hub..

Screen-Shot-2022-04-26-at-10.05.14.jpg

DCErik

Mini promises a free lunch.

At least they're not doing a fattie, I guess.

DCErik

Infuriating how many are eager to fall for it, but I guess the appeal to non-cyclists is a major driver of ebike adoption. Totally agree on the production batteries, too (aside from the big MFGs like Trek, SC, etc.), which was one of the major drivers of my decision to DIY. 930Wh of happy 30Q cells means I can ride all week on a charge, including a big day out on the weekend, and never have to worry about the cells getting stressed, and all that for the same $550 you'd pay to replace the battery in an Ancheer or similar.

DCErik

At my standard 8Wh/mi I'd be 192 miles from home after using 3/4 charge on that beast, but I usually ride with pushbikes and keep it at low assist.

DCErik

I run a 52v, and don't notice any voltage sag, but I also almost never run below 40%, and only charge above 80% a couple times yearly for cell balancing. Having 40% more capacity than you need is key to a happy battery!

Hoggdoc

Staff member
Website
activityphoto.com
On top of everything you said, these bikes are relatively expensive underpowered and have very small batteries. However, they do a good job of camouflaging the E bike thing. These are all designed for the EU market thankfully because of that we probably won't see him in the US.

Hoggdoc

Staff member
Website
activityphoto.com
I hear ya, I don't know why the people in the EU put up with that. Maximum speed 15.5 mph seriously. When I used to ride my peddle bikes all the time years ago I would cruise at that speed all the time. So it looks like the people making the decisions in the EU don't want Ebikes to be any faster than paddle bikes. I just watched a very long video by the fellow that runs grim technologies out of Canada. It's about an hour and a half long him talking about regenerative breaking the advantages an hour can be done and all the problems implementing it in a reasonable way and like you I don't see we'll see it in our lifetime.

"A"

Mini is not an ebike company, the move to introduce an ebike is likely targeted towards Mini owners, not so much towards general ebike market.
Niche market for regen capability and traditional diamond frame for an ebike without the bulk of external battery is something unique that few can offer.
Regardless of its performance, there is a market for it; if it doesn't fit your taste or needs, keep it to yourself.
Plenty of folks in the world that have different needs for an ebike, including this one.

Hoggdoc

Staff member
Website
activityphoto.com
I was just thinking the same thing wasn't about to write something what you stated. But you have to remember A may not be from the United States or he could be and be one of those people that like the way Twitter used to censor people that didn't agree with them.

"A"

Here's some more info on the self-contained unit hub:

Top Bottom