Does less teeth equal more range? Also am I hurting my BBSHD

Deadbolt Don

Local time
8:27 PM
I think I have a decent knowledge of electrical projects. But I am new to ebikes in general but ended up with a BBSHD and a 52v/20AH on a Jamis full suspension. 46t front and 10 speed cassette with a 52-11 spread.
Few test rides and my first day commuting to work today. I end up asking myself questions while riding.
I have my pedal assist set around1,25,30,45,55,65,75,85,99 current - all set to 100% speed limit. Display is set to 99km/h- Throttle is set to PAS 9
Firstly, I am wondering if using a 44t or even 42t front would I get more range "overall"? I ask this while leading into the next question...
If I am in PAS 3-5ish I find the motor does limit itself via the gearing, shift gears and it is still easy to pedal (chance of clown pedaling) so if the speed is still increasing I keep shifting. Around 4-3 hard gears to go I "feel" me doing the work, so one would assume the output should drop but the gauge says it is drawing 300-650 w. I don't mind doing the work as the speed gets around 28-35km/h. Higher PAS modes will get through more gears.
Am I hurting anything pushing the bike after the motor stops being able to push the gear. Am I correct that this is going to make the best of my over all range.
By dropping to 44t or 42t I think I can make use of more top gears and that will also "theoretically" increase overall range if me pushing it doesn't do that better anyway.

I tried to drop to the 44t but after adjusting chain length. The chain jumps off the front chainring when I use the 3rd or 4th largest rear cog. I am sure this is due to the oversized rear 52t and cogs leading up to it.. as well as the derailleur extender (needed for the 52t) adding to the flex game.
I assumed that I would want the 52t to compensate for the 46 in the front. But in reality I tend to use the transmission as a 8-9spd anyway, there isn't enough none stop runs in the city to get through all the gears most of the time. So I would think dropping to a 44t or 42t will justify going back to a modest 11-36 or 40t cassette. This should help correct the chain line.
I live in Winnipeg MB Canada "The Prairies" and there isn't many serious hills but bridges do simulate that. Plus getting on some of the trails here there can be inclines that may be concerns.

Back