Does anyone have a Magicycle?

Allen

Local time
10:06 PM
I saw Magicycle ebike last night and want to buy one. Can anyone give me some advice about it ?

Looks like a pretty standard, generic fat-tire ebike.

Does have a geared hub, which I prefer. However, that is for my own reasons and my own intended purpose.

Weighs nearly 80 lbs, which would be totally unacceptable for me. However, that is for my own reasons and my own intended purpose.

Some decent parts, not much detailed info on their site.

Third different brand you have wanted in a short period of time. Suggest you consider your options more carefully.

If you would define the purpose for which you want an ebike, what you intend to do with it, then I could offer an informed opinion on whether or not this, or some other ebike, would be suitable for your needs.

IMO, the whole fat-tire trend is not really a good idea for most people, it serves as cheap extra suspension but adds tremendous weight and rolling resistance, makes for a middle-of-the-road bike that is not very good for either on or off road, but can do both.

Looks like a pretty standard, generic fat-tire ebike.

Does have a geared hub, which I prefer. However, that is for my own reasons and my own intended purpose.

Weighs nearly 80 lbs, which would be totally unacceptable for me. However, that is for my own reasons and my own intended purpose.

Some decent parts, not much detailed info on their site.

Third different brand you have wanted in a short period of time. Suggest you consider your options more carefully.

If you would define the purpose for which you want an ebike, what you intend to do with it, then I could offer an informed opinion on whether or not this, or some other ebike, would be suitable for your needs.

IMO, the whole fat-tire trend is not really a good idea for most people, it serves as cheap extra suspension but adds tremendous weight and rolling resistance, makes for a middle-of-the-road bike that is not very good for either on or off road, but can do both.
Well said, Nelson :cool:

Nelson, in regards to your part about "the whole fat-tire trend......." if I may, a couple questions:

I am in process for the next 6-12 most doing my own research for my dream bike. I jumped in with blinders on and just am not please with the choice I made. That said, I currently have 2" street tires. At my age (early senior) my brain tells me that fat tires and especially having "nubs" would give me a piece of mind more than the street tires in regards to traction, safety, etc. Is my line of thinking incorrect? I've rode my Trek mountain bike (std bicycle) for years and they have had 2" tires but with nubs for use off road. I typically am in town or on paved trails. But there are times when I feel that street tires are just kind of slippery.

Is this all my mind doing a number on me or is it possible that while yes they wear faster and are more costly, perhaps a fat tire would offer a little more security for the older rider?

Off-road tires with "nubs" are actually worse on the street. Street tires put more rubber on the road for more grip. Fat tires even more.

The issue with fat tire bikes is if you ever run out of power, they are an absolute lead sled to pedal

They were originally intended as "beach bikes", for riding on sand. Trend never really caught on. As a cheap way of getting some suspension and a softer ride, they make some sense but about 30 seconds of pedaling one shows the problem.

I went from 1" to 1.5" tires for better road feel, but I ride an unsuspended, road-style bike on very good roads and sidewalks. Lots of rain and sand scattered on roads, wider tire does give better "road feel". It is a matter of opinion and what you are comfortable with. Recommend take a few test rides, get some speed and coast over a few bumps and road obstacles. Remember that with power you will be moving at a higher speed, MUCH more often.

Here is where my ignorance comes into play: am I understanding that there is a difference between fat tires and tires with nubs? I'll have to look into that.

But you are right, I do need to go see if I can find a bike with fat tires in the style I'm interested in and ride it to see what the feel and handle of that style of bike is.

Knobby tires are for mud, dirt, and snow. Fat tires are just fat. There are thin(er) tires with nubs, and fat tires for the street. For good roads and excellent trails, a fairly smooth street tread gives least rolling resistance. Also when pumped up to higher pressures.

Fat tires run low pressures, lots of rubber on the road, lots of rubber flexing under load. Softens the ride. Reduces mileage. If you pedal a lot and need less than 20 miles at moderate speeds, less of a problem.

Range or comfort? Weight is also a factor, bigger rims, bigger tires, more weight. Any stairs or lifting in your future? Need more range, then need more battery, for yet more weight. A lot of fat tire bikes are pushing 70 lbs.

schwalbe big apple ebike tires are pretty nice in my opinion.
I run the 29'er big apple on front and a 26" sarfas drifter on the rear.
Both pretty sweet road tires with a bit more meat @2.3" front and 2.1 rear.

Ride Safe! :cool:

I saw Magicycle ebike last night and want to buy one. Can anyone give me some advice about it ?
As owner of 2 Magicycle OCELOT Pro e-bikes I can tell you I did hundreds of hours researching the best bike for our needs. According to my research there is no other manufacturer (I use that term loosely) that packs in as much quality and features for the money. I'm talking about $2,000 bikes. If you are comparing bikes, try to beat their OCELOT PRO (If you're looking for a 20" bike) against anything out there and you won't beat it. Let's start with a 52 volt battery. Everyone else is 48. Their motor is 750/1000. Everyone else is 500/750 but ADVERTISES 750. How about 2 year warranty? Everyone else is 1 year. So, have fun comparing. Obviously if you're looking for a 26" bike then these features are not relevant to you. Magicycle STILL beats the 26" market.

Nelson, in regards to your part about "the whole fat-tire trend......." if I may, a couple questions:

I am in process for the next 6-12 most doing my own research for my dream bike. I jumped in with blinders on and just am not please with the choice I made. That said, I currently have 2" street tires. At my age (early senior) my brain tells me that fat tires and especially having "nubs" would give me a piece of mind more than the street tires in regards to traction, safety, etc. Is my line of thinking incorrect? I've rode my Trek mountain bike (std bicycle) for years and they have had 2" tires but with nubs for use off road. I typically am in town or on paved trails. But there are times when I feel that street tires are just kind of slippery.

Is this all my mind doing a number on me or is it possible that while yes they wear faster and are more costly, perhaps a fat tire would offer a little more security for the older rider?
Before buying my first ebike I went back and forth on the whole fat tire thing. I did have the luxury of having a lot of friends with ebikes so was able to test ride slot of them. I ended up buying 4" fat tires not really knowing if I'd need them or not but I'm really glad I went with the fat tires. Even though I ride strictly in an urban area I've been surprised at the amount of times during a ride I'm able to avoid traffic or take short cuts going over/through grass, hills, dirt, snow...that regular tires wouldn't be able to handle. I also like the extra stability and cushion they provide. As has been said they can be heavy to pedal if your battery dies. That has only happened to me once and though it's not like pedaling a standard bike, it weighs 65lbs, it was doable but not something I'd want to repeat.

Here is where my ignorance comes into play: am I understanding that there is a difference between fat tires and tires with nubs? I'll have to look into that.

But you are right, I do need to go see if I can find a bike with fat tires in the style I'm interested in and ride it to see what the feel and handle of that style of bike is.
There are several types of tires no matter the size. You can get off road tires that are very "knobby", street tires that have smaller "knobs", racing slicks etc. in pretty much any size you want from 2" to 4" fat tires. I like this company https://shinkotireusa.com/ I'm sure there are better tires out there but I've got a set of fat tires that have been outstanding

I have a Magicycle Cruiser that I am having a headset problem with. I found Magicycle Customer Service to be fairly responsive but less than knowledgeable. A two year warranty is only as good as the Service Provider and parts availability. I like the bike. It is heavy but powerful. The computer is great, lots of flexibility and the brakes adequate. I would opt for a less wide tire in the 2 to 3 inch range. I have found little value to the four inch tire other than it creates alot of drag that reduces range. If I buy another Ebike it probably will be from a local shop with service or from one of the Industry Leaders Aventon or Rad.

As owner of 2 Magicycle OCELOT Pro e-bikes I can tell you I did hundreds of hours researching the best bike for our needs. According to my research there is no other manufacturer (I use that term loosely) that packs in as much quality and features for the money. I'm talking about $2,000 bikes. If you are comparing bikes, try to beat their OCELOT PRO (If you're looking for a 20" bike) against anything out there and you won't beat it. Let's start with a 52 volt battery. Everyone else is 48. Their motor is 750/1000. Everyone else is 500/750 but ADVERTISES 750. How about 2 year warranty? Everyone else is 1 year. So, have fun comparing. Obviously if you're looking for a 26" bike then these features are not relevant to you. Magicycle STILL beats the 26" market.
Not now. Fahrbike is a better appointed and less expensive. Not 52 watt, but that is the only "minus" for the Fahrbike.
I paid for both of mine.

I bought one last December. The hub motor has a serious prblem, and Magicycle has made excuse after excuse not to honor the written warranty. They are in China and don't seem to care about my issue.

I bought one last December. The hub motor has a serious prblem, and Magicycle has made excuse after excuse not to honor the written warranty. They are in China and don't seem to care about my issue.
The motor is making loud grinding noises and Magicycle claims there is nothing wrong and if I keep riding it the loud grinding will just go away. They are making excuses not to honor the warranty.

Thanks! I'll keep an ear out! It's not too hard to take apart. Maybe it just needs the gears greased, but it's not a problem you would expect this early in the game. A new motor is less than $200 on their site. I would be tempted to replace it with a GRIN motor that has re-gen capability, but it is costly.

The problem is the Magicycle "customer service" people refuse to either fix the motor or allow me to have it fixed at an e-bike shop. They say my warranty is void the minute someone other than them touches it, but they deny there is a need for repair.

No matter the manufacturer of the Ebike.
Fahrbike eventually gets back to me, but seems to have a hard time figuring what I'm looking for: a led display that allows me more control of power percentages per PAS settings. The Magicycle uses a color led display. The Fahrbike uses an M5 display.

Back