Does a Dynamo Hub makes sense for you?

BBassett

1.JPG

There's simply no free ride when it comes to harvesting pedal power... you always have to work for it, but it's something easily done when riding an ebike. New more efficient dynamos mean that more of your pedal power (and/or the voltage stored in the pack) can go directly back to recharge electronics. Given the leverage of a wheel and the flywheel effect of the rotating mass, the minimal amount of dynamo hub drag has only a small effect on your speed and/or range while charging or using lights, and little to no effect without a load on the dynamo. Because you can charge your devices while you ride you save time, less time waiting for assorted electronics and batteries to charge... lights, batteries, small USB rechargeable electronic devices like phones, GPS, and e-readers, allowing you to spend more time riding. For these reasons, dynamo hubs are ideal for commuting, long-distance rides, and endurance racing. Plus, you'll never find yourself "left in the dark" without a headlight.

SON hub dynamos have been the undisputed benchmark for many years. The generator is precisely adapted to the intended use and thus efficiently powers the headlight, rear light, or any charging device. Due to high-end hub technology SON hub dynamos perform with the longest possible durability – regardless if it‘s a standard hub dynamo or a special version for MTBs, folding bikes, or God forbid... even trikes.

2.JPG
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg

BBassett

In a nutshell.
So your saying in a nutshell a front hub is "too much stuff"? Hummmmmmmmmmmm, odd since you already have a cheap little hub mounted on your toy now, but good try, eeeeeeeh.... not really. Using that kind of logic you don't even need a seat, right? Well, hell, maybe you don't. When you can ride a few days at a time without having to recharge even a GPS it would be much better to save the money and buy a bike that's meant to ride more than around the block. That said... I fully understand why a dynamo hub isn't something you'd use, hell some numbnuts think real fenders in Washington are too much, they obviously don't ride much either.

p.s. McClinton has a known worth of over 2 million dollars I'm pretty sure he was being ironic... but again, good try. I bet his boots cost more than your bike, apparently, boots aren't "too much stuff" since he'd be wearing shoes anyway. You drive safe.

"A"

Yup, too much stuff. I conquer.
All that extra weight you carry on your ebike is unnecessary if you only know how to ask for directions along your ride, no need for GPS.
It's the people along the way that you meet which makes the ride that much more interesting.
How many cameras do you need?
Do you honestly need to take pictures or videos of everything you do on the ride?
seems to me a clear sign of narcissism.

Tonerider

I bet he's one lonely mofo, what with a personality like a kick in the nuts. No wonder he's obsessed with male genitalia. :sneaky:

solliex

My Brompton bike came unexpectedly with the hub in the front driving front and rear light with battery back up I don’t notice any extra effort and I’m pleased to have this addition to the bike.

Nelson37

A dynamo hub converts motion into electricity. Your ebike battery converts electricity into motion. With a dynamo, you are reversing that conversion, losing power to inefficiency, carrying extra weight, and adding rolling resistance.

All this, when you have a battery for your lights right there.

For an ebike, the dynamo hub is a stupid idea.

"A"

My wife has dynamo hub on her Dahon folding bike, does a decent job to power the LED head light & tail light, probably less than 5w.
Dynamo hub can generate enough juice for lights, flashers or maybe your LCD display, but not sufficient to provide regen to increase battery capacity.

BBassett

My Brompton bike came unexpectedly with the hub in the front driving front and rear light with battery back up I don’t notice any extra effort and I’m pleased to have this addition to the bike.
Once you get used to having them you feel naked without one.

BBassett

A dynamo hub converts... wonk, wonk, wonk, wonk, wonk, wonk, wonk. For an ebike, the dynamo hub is a stupid idea.
This constipated inexperienced thinking is brought to you by someone that hasn't ever used one. I don't need A/C to charge anything but the bike's pack, why would anyone use the bike's power source for anything but moving the bike? Remember... some people do ride more than an hour at a time.

Top Bottom