Do I need a Green Sticker?

WoodlandHills

Local time
10:52 AM
I'm going to be going up to Troy Meadows State Campground later this summer to ride up in Sequoia National Forest. I have a few friends who ride their KTMs there and they have the CA green sticker to be legal. I am assuming that since I have an ebike I can ride their trails w/o the state tax sticker. I've never seen a bicyclist up there, but since the trail starts at 8000' that doesn't surprise me.

Do any of our experts have any idea if I need the tax stamp for a dirt bike?

I'm interested in learning what the rules will be also, try emailing them and asking:

The rules for bicycles page says:

"Ready to get your pedals turning? Then come enjoy your National Forest land from the seat of a bicycle! Any official trail on Forest Service land allows bicycles, with the exceptions of trails in designated Wilderness and the Pacific Crest Trail. There are literally hundreds of miles of trails and roads to explore in the Sequoia National Forest, and a bike is a great way to see much of them. Many trails are steep or rocky and may be for advanced riders only, we recommend you contact us before choosing a trail to ride"

The rules for OHV states:

"Off-Highway Vehicle (OHV) recreation is just one of the many uses allowed on National Forest lands. The Sequoia National Forest offers many opportunities for OHV recreationists.

State law requires registration of all motor vehicles before being operated on public lands. You must have either a current Green Sticker or Highway license, both issued by the State Department of Motor Vehicles. If highway licensed, the vehicle must meet all standards for operating on a public highway"

So the question is: If the e-bike is a legal highway vehicle in the state, then is it legal there? Or is it a "bicycle" and pedaling gets you in?

Sequoia National Forest - Recreation

It's legal on OHV trails on FS land. Not on bike/hike/horse trails.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought as much since some guys ride d/s's with a license plate instead of the greenie and I don't need any tags of any sort to be street legal.

Back