Diy ebike battery pack from 2 x 36v hoverboard battery packs

Muffy

Local time
8:44 PM
Is it possible to safely run 2 x 36v hoverboard battery packs in Parallel as a way to maintain voltage output (36v) but notionally double the amp hr rating.?

is it as simple as using a y connector to converge both batteries into the bike controller.? Recharging could be via each individual pack which would mean 2 sep charging cycles, but there would be better redundancy. Hoverbike batts are usually 10s2p or 10s3p with better undervoltage protection

i have access to some rebuilt hoverbike batteries that were repacked with samsung cells from ex greenworks 80v ride on lawnmower batteries. (Greenworks/kobalt/snapper unfort use a dodgey 20s controller design with no undercurrent protection, so that when 1 x cell goes bust the entire battery pack becomes useless)

my current 36v battery is basically 15s2p but the pack is really asthmatic on gradients so it really needs replacing. A repack quotation was approx 3 times more expensive than the hoverbike battery solution (if it works)

A 36 volt battery is 10 series,15 series is weird unless its different chemistry, if you are really careful you may get by paralelling two packs.Be careful and do not short. I made an effort to get a battery maker to make me a 11 series battery pack to keep the voltage upm they refuse saying they couldn't get an11 series BMS.

When you connect two batteries in parallel, any voltage difference between the two will equalize, VERY rapidly. If that difference is anything more than a tenth of a volt or so, this can result in not just melted wires, but EXPLOSIVE VAPORIZATION of the copper wire, which can have very negative effects on any exposed skin. Defective or very low cells can erupt into flame. Metallic lithium is involved, which contact with water will CAUSE fire or even explosion. Must be smothered.

Generally recommended to leave them parallel, and charge them parallel. With regular testing of parallel groups, as hoverboard batteries have no balancing feature.

You can wire in a regular BMS, but this can get a bit involved.

I would question the "repacking", counterfeit cell wrappers for name brands are widely available.

T
A 36 volt battery is 10 series,15 series is weird unless its different chemistry, if you are really careful you may get by paralelling two packs.Be careful and do not short. I made an effort to get a battery maker to make me a 11 series battery pack to keep the voltage upm they refuse saying they couldn't get an11 series BMS.
Thanks, pity as you can get 11s balance boards

When you connect two batteries in parallel, any voltage difference between the two will equalize, VERY rapidly. If that difference is anything more than a tenth of a volt or so, this can result in not just melted wires, but EXPLOSIVE VAPORIZATION of the copper wire, which can have very negative effects on any exposed skin. Defective or very low cells can erupt into flame. Metallic lithium is involved, which contact with water will CAUSE fire or even explosion. Must be smothered.

Generally recommended to leave them parallel, and charge them parallel. With regular testing of parallel groups, as hoverboard batteries have no balancing feature.

I would question the "repacking", counterfeit cell wrappers for name brands are widely available.
Would you use an equalising board for each pack or just one board (virtual)

One "Rocket Scientist" claimed there was no metallic Lithium involved in the fiece fires(only ions) where did He think the ions came from?:ROFLMAO:

11S bms do exist, just not very common.
Thank you, I don't think Jenny Wu( or whatever perhaps my name is wrong our she is AI) I do not think she wanted to accomadate despite receiving rave reveiws and good rep.

Back