Decent-looking milk crate alternatives?

Smaug

Local time
9:08 AM
I currently have a red milk crate zip-tied to my Ranger's rack. I just love its utility. It is deep enough that it can take a bag or two of groceries. It's rugged, too, as it was commercial grade, in its former life. In commuting, I put my backpack vertically in it and it keeps my back from sweating.

However, it kind of ghetto-fies the look of the bike.

I've seen a lot of eBikers use a purpose-built rack bag. They look nice and are not too big, but they are also not of high enough capacity to help with a grocery run, which I do often. I've also seen the racks that the manufacturers sell, but they're overly wide and not deep enough.

I feel like there has GOT to be a solution. Something as rugged and deep as the milk crate, but in black, white or silver, so it would match the bike better. I do have a set of panniers, but I don't like how they hang out and wreck any remaining aerodynamics. Also I don't want anything I'd have to worry about being stolen so I have to remove it all the time.

I'm thinking maybe a big black toolbox: drill some holes in the bottom and zip-tie it to the rack. Then, I would have the option of padlocking it too... but I don't think the lid would hold up well if it was open while riding, and it wouldn't hold as much as the open-topped milk crate.

What have you got?

I attached a decent quality "drybox" with "U" bolts, but it certainly doesn't have the volume of a milk crate. In fact I'm trying to decide what to do so I can be a "grocery getter" since the store is so close I feel stupid firing up the car to go there. Ultimately I think I'm going to build a small homebrew trailer for grocery runs.

drybox.JPG

I currently have a red milk crate zip-tied to my Ranger's rack. I just love its utility. It is deep enough that it can take a bag or two of groceries. It's rugged, too, as it was commercial grade, in its former life. In commuting, I put my backpack vertically in it and it keeps my back from sweating.

I've seen a lot of eBikers use a purpose-built rack bag. They look nice and are not too big, but they are also not of high enough capacity to help with a grocery run, which I do often. I've also seen the racks that the manufacturers sell, but they're overly wide and not deep enough.

I feel like there has GOT to be a solution. Something as rugged and deep as the milk crate, but in black, white or silver, so it would match the bike better. I do have a set of panniers, but I don't like how they hang out and wreck any remaining aerodynamics. Also I don't want anything I'd have to worry about being stolen so I have to remove it all the time.

I'm thinking maybe a big black toolbox: drill some holes in the bottom and zip-tie it to the rack. Then, I would have the option of padlocking it too... but I don't think the lid would hold up well if it was open while riding, and it wouldn't hold as much as the open-topped milk crate.

What have you got?

Are you guys familiar with the MIK system? I have it for my bike and I love it.

You can essentially attach an MIK adapter plate to the bottom of any luggage item ( cargo bag, milk crate, basket, etc) and then you can just snap it on/off your rear rack with ease. No clamps or straps required.

It makes interchanging your carrying device simple and quick to suit whatever you need that day or time.

I attached a decent quality "drybox" with "U" bolts, but it certainly doesn't have the volume of a milk crate. In fact I'm trying to decide what to do so I can be a "grocery getter" since the store is so close I feel stupid firing up the car to go there. Ultimately I think I'm going to build a small homebrew trailer for grocery runs.

View attachment 4827

7A654B0D-B552-4D32-B0E9-F17462A68ADE.jpeg

Your milk crate looks like painted pelican case.
I like it tho.
Ones I see here are vertical with the rack
Are you talking about the OP's milk crate (in his link in the first post) or my drybox? Mine is a bright orange knockoff brand that works really well for my purposes though it's not -quite- large enough for "grocery getting". But since mine is attached with "J" hooks and wing-nuts I can easily get another box and swap out when it is grocery time.

I've used milk crates on my bicycles, motorcycles & ebikes for ages.
I think of it as a theft deterrent, the dirtier it is the better, no one seems to me interested in stealing stuff from a dirty old milk crate with old tarp covering it secured by bungy cords, even in NYC.
As long as no one is messing with my bike, I don't really care what it looks like.

I'd either paint it or find some large stickers for it
Found this by searching for rear cargo ebike baskets, I'm sure there are more out there.

...and a tank bag too, eh? Doesn't that want to swivel around the cross bar?

How do you like that bike? I was thinking that might be my next one.

Is the back bike a V-Strom?
The top bar is actually 2 bars, and there are 2 separate velcro fasteners in the front of the tank bag, so it stays put.
It's my Ist ebike, and really need to try a conventional frame sometime to really compare, but I'm pretty happy with the performance.
Yeah, That V-Strom is my daily, and I love it. I also have an 82 Honda CBX (inline six), and a 76 BMW R90.

Attachments

• jkcbx.jpg
    jkcbx.jpg
    227.6 KB · Views: 132

What have you got?
A bit late, but here are my suggestions:

(Double-up the cargo nets to ensure nothing falls out from the basket.)

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Back