CUBE Kathmandu Hybrid Pro 500 or CANNONDALE TESORO NEO X2

FoxAdriano

Local time
1:07 PM
Hi, I'd like to get some suggestions please. If you have experience, which do you prefer between these two e-bikes?
CUBE Kathmandu Hybrid Pro 500 or CANNONDALE TESORO NEO X2 E-BIKE?
I am 65 years old, 1.75 tall, normal weight.
CANNONDALE costs 150 euro more.
I'm mainly interested in comfort and I will use it on bumpy streets of my town with ups and downs, in the bad and bumpy country roads.
Which would you buy?
Thank you a lot for your precious news.

My review of the 2018 CUBE KATHMANDU HYBRID PRO 500

I have just completed 1000 miles on the above ebike, bought last August and thought I would put up a post on my experience for the benefit of others who may be considering a purchase.

The bike has performed flawlessly, never missing a beat. The Bosch CX motor climbs like a goat (especially in Turbo), and gives a very discernible level of assistance even in Eco. I am 65, nearly 16st., have heart issues, and an ICD fitted so I use the various assistance levels pretty freely to avoid over stressing the heart, and still manage a range of of 50-60 miles quite comfortably. The motor has a definite “whirring” sound particularly in higher assistance levels, however this is not sufficient to bother me and is a small price to pay for the tremendous boost that the CX gives. I certainly would not call it noisy. The motor cut off is wonderfully gradual, between 15 and 17 mph.

Routine maintenance has comprised periodic polishing and I have twice thoroughly cleaned the drivetrain (done on the bike) using a Park chain cleaner, and lubed afterwards. I cannot comment on performance off road as trashing a lovely bit of sophisticated engineering through mud and tree roots does not appeal, and consequently I have never done it. All my miles have been done on varying road surfaces, cycleways and paths. The Schwalbe Range Cruiser tyres have no discernible wear yet, and no punctures. Brake pads are still good, and all components have performed without a hitch. I’ve not even needed to index the gears or adjust the brakes! The lights are good, although I tend to light the bike up like a Christmas tree with supplementary lights anyway. A rattly front mudguard was easily cured with 2 small pieces of inner tube wedged between the guard and a slightly loose stay.

Many seem to give the Bosch Intuvia display a poor press, however I have found it to be great, with nice big characters and very easy to use - more so than the Purion display which my wife has on her bike.

The only modifications I have done are to replace the saddle with my personal favourite, and replace the pedals with DMR V8’s, which give much better support and grip. Both these are purely personal choice. Oh, yes! I also replaced the horrible bell (a ‘pingy’ thingy, with a “Tring, tring”proper bell).

Overall then, I have been highly impressed with all aspects of the bike. It is invariable true that ‘you get what you pay for’, and around the £2000 mark seems to be a significant quality price point to aim for if at all possible. A big tick for the Bosch/Cube combo, then!

There are people who, without having used them, but just looking at them, say that the Cannondale is built more for the road than the Cube. Do you think it is true? But is the Cannondale's handlebars wider and lower than the Cube's? Which one do you think is more comfortable in your opinion? For me it's important. If the Cannondale Tesoro Neo X 2 had the Intuvia display, I would have bought it without thinking twice. I like its aesthetics and its color more. I like a lot Cannondale but I don't like Purion display for it small characters.
Anyway, thanks a lot your your interesting reviews.

EDIT: could you suggest another e-bike with the same price of them? I repeat: I will use it above all on city streets, but even country roads, dirt roads, bumpy and uphill roads and in very light off-road (but rarely).

Last edited:
I have owned my Tesoro X2 for about a year. I've only ridden it about 1200 miles because I also have a Lapierre EXelius and a wonderful old, steel framed Rivendell push bike that I ride when I want a challenge here in North Yorkshire. I really enjoy my Tesoro. Most every time I ride it I think that it was one of the best investments I have ever made. It's mostly used on hard surfaces, although some of the country roads around here aren't in the best condition. I have ventured off road a few times and like that capability. I refer to my Tesoro as my truck. I have a bag with fold down panniers on the back and an Ortlieb handlebar bag so I sometimes do some shopping with it. On my longer adventures, I carry a flask of coffee and some food and spend hours exploring the moors. The motor is impressive. I live near the legendary Rosedale Chimney bank and motored up it mostly in level 2 with a short bit in level 3. I have never really used the highest level. By using the motor sparingly, I have ridden nearly 75 km with a lot of climbing and still have nearly half the battery when I got home.

My only concern about the bike is it's weight. With bags and a bottle cage, it weighs over 30 kg. Does anyone know how much the Cube Kathmandu Hybrid weighs? I would love to have the motor, suspension, mudguards, and rack of the Tesoro but in a package that's not quite so heavy.

My review of the 2018 CUBE KATHMANDU HYBRID PRO 500

I have just completed 1000 miles on the above ebike, bought last August and thought I would put up a post on my experience for the benefit of others who may be considering a purchase.

The bike has performed flawlessly, never missing a beat. The Bosch CX motor climbs like a goat (especially in Turbo), and gives a very discernible level of assistance even in Eco. I am 65, nearly 16st., have heart issues, and an ICD fitted so I use the various assistance levels pretty freely to avoid over stressing the heart, and still manage a range of of 50-60 miles quite comfortably. The motor has a definite “whirring” sound particularly in higher assistance levels, however this is not sufficient to bother me and is a small price to pay for the tremendous boost that the CX gives. I certainly would not call it noisy. The motor cut off is wonderfully gradual, between 15 and 17 mph.

Routine maintenance has comprised periodic polishing and I have twice thoroughly cleaned the drivetrain (done on the bike) using a Park chain cleaner, and lubed afterwards. I cannot comment on performance off road as trashing a lovely bit of sophisticated engineering through mud and tree roots does not appeal, and consequently I have never done it. All my miles have been done on varying road surfaces, cycleways and paths. The Schwalbe Range Cruiser tyres have no discernible wear yet, and no punctures. Brake pads are still good, and all components have performed without a hitch. I’ve not even needed to index the gears or adjust the brakes! The lights are good, although I tend to light the bike up like a Christmas tree with supplementary lights anyway. A rattly front mudguard was easily cured with 2 small pieces of inner tube wedged between the guard and a slightly loose stay.

Many seem to give the Bosch Intuvia display a poor press, however I have found it to be great, with nice big characters and very easy to use - more so than the Purion display which my wife has on her bike.

The only modifications I have done are to replace the saddle with my personal favourite, and replace the pedals with DMR V8’s, which give much better support and grip. Both these are purely personal choice. Oh, yes! I also replaced the horrible bell (a ‘pingy’ thingy, with a “Tring, tring”proper bell).

Overall then, I have been highly impressed with all aspects of the bike. It is invariable true that ‘you get what you pay for’, and around the £2000 mark seems to be a significant quality price point to aim for if at all possible. A big tick for the Bosch/Cube combo, then!
Hi Phil, if you don't mind me asking... what saddle did you fit?

Back