Cost effective E-Bike - Stealth Bomber, Hi Power Cycles, Stromer

I personally love the E-Bikes with the limited computer because they have a button for you to take the limit off. This gives you the opportunity to take full control of the limits of your bike.

I am looking at the Hi Power Cycles explorer, but it still seems expensive. 1500 watt mid drive with a LR 1008WH battery is about 4k. I'd imagine motor costs under 250 and battery costs under 500. Really sad how exclusive the E-Bike market is to those with plenty of cash to throw towards one. E-bike transportation would be my solution to a car for average transportation.

About the Chain ring. You can only have one in the front because of the motor? If this is the case- do you select what size depending on if you want a higher torque or higher top speed ride?

Just found a good price on an HPC bike. They say that top speed is 28. Don't you think a 1400 watt mid drive with a 52 volt battery would be a bit faster than 28 once in the harder gears?

No matter how many watts and amps you have when the motor powers the drivetrain you are restricted to the gear inches of the drive train. Want faster put on a bigger chain ring. While it is possible to up/restrict power via the controller you would need road bike size gearing to have pedal power at speeds above 28 mph.

So you would recommend increasing the size of the chain ring in the front to be able to basically be able to have 'pedal power' at a higher speed?
Would a hub motor need to be a lot more power to have equivalent performance to a 1400 watt mid drive?

I think that the Rohloff speed hub would be the way to go because it has 526% gear range compared to a normal shifter? In theory, would this allow for steeper hill climbing, and faster driving on the flat land? If so, is it easy to incorporate in the bike?

You will need to buy a bike with a dropout width that matches the OAL of the hub. If your hub is 135mm, don't buy a bike with 195mm rear axle width..... Then again if you can afford a Rholoff, then buying a new bike to match your hub is no big deal. Most home built ebikes have the motor or battery each costing as much or more than the bike, it would be novel to have the hub cost more than everything else put together!

I just noticed how expensive they are. Unfortunately, I don't think it is worth it. It would definitely make the bike better at everything. Maybe a new front sprocket is probably my only option (unless there are any other ideas)

Update: Im beginning to question wanting a mid drive. It seems easier to just get a 4500 watt hub motor w/ a 72 volt battery and be done with it. Seems much more simple than needing to change out for an internally geared hub and different sprocket ratios.

Perhaps you should go home and figure out just what you want and then go to EndlessSphere and ask them. At this point you are talking about an electric motocrosser not an ebike and the discussion really belongs elsewhere. Once you get it built you are not legal to ride anywhere but with the 2-strokes and the bike itself will have almost no actual bicycle parts on it.

It works best, for me at least, to be able to have pedal power at all times to stay with or on top of the motor. If the motor is run through the drivetrain it won't propel the bike any faster than the sprockets it is attached to will allow either. There are ways to calculate this using gear inches and wheel diameter. Then you have rider weight, bike weight, terrain and wind resistance to factor in. There are 1000w hub motors that can do 30 on 52v on the market but only on flatish ground. The big thing is that bicycle rated equipment isn't really based on that type of speed especially with the added weight of the e system.

This type of bike is developing in some sectors that should be able to hold up but it is a MoPed class which has different rules of the road than ebikes: Bultaco sends its electric "moto-bikes" to the streets

Back