Controller settings in display

jrw921

Local time
8:07 PM
I have a 22amp controller and noticed that the settings in the display can be changed all the way up to 60. What is the effect of raising this number higher than the preset 22? thx

I have a 22amp controller and noticed that the settings in the display can be changed all the way up to 60. What is the effect of raising this number higher than the preset 22? thx
If the controller has a max amperage of 22, you could set it to 1000 and that will not change anything. It will only draw 22amps max and due to inefficiency in reality it's a little less.

Just as a side note, changing the amps on displays generally does absolutely nothing. The controller will handle the amps itself and ignore the displays setting.

Thank you for the very clear explanation. Refreshing to read something simple. Thanks again

, changing the amps on displays generally does absolutely nothing. The controller will handle the amps itself and ignore the displays setting.

Sure about that? The C5 parameter on the popular KT display sets "Maximum Current Value (A)" as a percentage of the controllers capacity e.g. 10 being 100%, down to 03 being 50%.
With a genuine KT display linked to a genuine KT controller I'd expect it to work as described in the programming manual.

Sure about that? The C5 parameter on the popular KT display sets "Maximum Current Value (A)" as a percentage of the controllers capacity e.g. 10 being 100%, down to 03 being 50%.
With a genuine KT display linked to a genuine KT controller I'd expect it to work as described in the programming manual.
Yes. Most controllers are set to override the displays current limit function. There is definitely some that allow you to tweak it yourself but especially premade bikes 99% of them are all set to override mode meaning changing the setting does absolutely nothing.

Yes. Most controllers are set to override the displays current limit function. There is definitely some that allow you to tweak it yourself but especially premade bikes 99% of them are all set to override mode meaning changing the setting does absolutely nothing.
That doesn't make sense, at least not to me. What you're effectively saying is that the designers of the KT display put in a programming parameter i.e. "C5" (to adjust their controllers % from max output) that does nothing to their controller, and is just misleading. There are no shortage of people on forums who believe it does adjust the % output.
I can accept that a mismatched or generic display controller combination may not work. But a genuine KT display connected to a genuine KT controller (one of the most common combinations around), I've have to see it demonstrated to believe it. One day I might test it on my bike.

That doesn't make sense, at least not to me. What you're effectively saying is that the designers of the KT display put in a programming parameter i.e. "C5" (to adjust their controllers % from max output) that does nothing to their controller, and is just misleading. There are no shortage of people on forums who believe it does adjust the % output.
I can accept that a mismatched or generic display controller combination may not work. But a genuine KT display connected to a genuine KT controller (one of the most common combinations around), I've have to see it demonstrated to believe it. One day I might test it on my bike.
What part of some controllers allow you to change it isn't registering to you? Some let you, most don't. I have not used a KT controller but I am telling you MOST are computer programmed to override the current limit setting, especially premade ebikes. I have used many different escooters and ebikes, including JN controllers and all of them the current limit setting does nothing and pulls the maximum current no matter what you set on the display.

What is registering with me is you seem a smartarse. You've admitted you have no experience with perhaps THE most common display combination on the planet a KT display connected to a KT controller. IT DOES work.

What is registering with me is you seem a smartarse. You've admitted you have no experience with perhaps THE most common display combination on the planet a KT display connected to a KT controller. IT DOES work.
It's not even close to the most popular, but good try.. lol. Not even close. It's a popular after market "combination", yes. It's not a "combination", the controller has its own protocol and simply only works with its own displays, lol. But not even close to the most common, lol. I never said it didn't work, stupid. Of course if you buy a higher end after market controller and display chances are you will be able to change functions you wouldn't normally be able to. But 99% of ebikes with the premade mass manufactured s**tty controller, a lot of the settings simply do not work and have been computer overridden from the manufacturer.

So now its gone from "most", and "99%" to the function may not work on bottom end budget bikes with junky display/controller combinations (something I wouldn't dispute).
P.S. I wouldn't describe inexpensive Chinese genuine KT displays and controllers as "high end". I'd describe them as the bare minimum standard for anyone building or replacing a controller/display. Why? Because they work.

Back