Controller over-current settings

jdwilker

Local time
3:03 PM
Just bought a Himiway cruiser (48 volts with 750 watt motor) and have been fine tuning some of the program settings. When I checked the controller over-current cut settings, it was set at 25 amps which seems a little high (1200 watts @ 48 volts), so I set it down to 15 amps which is the factory default. I did this thinking that if it was too high, it might be putting the controller and/or motor at risk. Then I began to think (always a mistake) that a battery fully charged is more than 48 volts and that this setting doesn't take into account current surges that might occur when accelerating. There must be a happy medium that protects the circuitry but doesn't result in a premature cutoff. Anybody have any experience with this?

my bbshd was set at 30a so i set it at 16a which gives me plenty and enables me to human power more.

Welcome to our humble home by the way :)

Just bought a Himiway cruiser (48 volts with 750 watt motor) and have been fine tuning some of the program settings. When I checked the controller over-current cut settings, it was set at 25 amps which seems a little high (1200 watts @ 48 volts), so I set it down to 15 amps which is the factory default. I did this thinking that if it was too high, it might be putting the controller and/or motor at risk. Then I began to think (always a mistake) that a battery fully charged is more than 48 volts and that this setting doesn't take into account current surges that might occur when accelerating. There must be a happy medium that protects the circuitry but doesn't result in a premature cutoff. Anybody have any experience with this?
By doing as you have done you are limiting the amount of AMPS the battery can provide to the controller/motor. It can be a good thing if, but you are limiting the power the bike can deliver to the road as well. You should be able to feel a big difference the the ability to climb hills and accelerate from a stop. I have the same bike and have mine set to 25 AMPS to get as much power from the drivetrain as possible. BTW this does not effective the top speed but only the acceleration rate.

By doing as you have done you are limiting the amount of AMPS the battery can provide to the controller/motor. It can be a good thing if, but you are limiting the power the bike can deliver to the road as well. You should be able to feel a big difference the the ability to climb hills and accelerate from a stop. I have the same bike and have mine set to 25 AMPS to get as much power from the drivetrain as possible. BTW this does not effective the top speed but only the acceleration rate.
I guess my mistake was in thinking that function cuts off all power if you were to exceed that current limit vs. it acting as a current limiter. Sounds like you've had no problems with it set to 25 amps?

Back