Cheap Electric bikes for $500 or under

charles

Local time
12:49 AM
I'm looking for a cheaper electric bike for a 7 mile commute to work. I have no understanding of electric bicycles or anything electric for that matter so I'm looking for something that comes ready to go. I weigh about 200 lbs any ideas what bike I should go for?

For that price you'd have to go with a used electric bike, which is not really the best way if you don't know much about electrics. You may need to change out the battery for instance. You could also try a DIY kit from ebay or amazon. You could find a kit for around $500 including battery.

To be honest you wont like a $500 ebike, a commuter should be geared and with a solid frame and you'll need a battery that lasts at least 20 miles to get you there and back. Sounds like you need to spend a little more to get something a bit more reliable. Aim for $1000 - $1500 then you wont be disappointed that you threw away $500 on a cheap ebike.

To be honest you wont like a $500 ebike, a commuter should be geared and with a solid frame and you'll need a battery that lasts at least 20 miles to get you there and back. Sounds like you need to spend a little more to get something a bit more reliable. Aim for $1000 - $1500 then you wont be disappointed that you threw away $500 on a cheap ebike.

I was just gonna get something cheap to start with and then go from there. I didn't want to have to spend $1500 on an ebike straight away. Thanks for the Walmart suggestion. I don't usually shop there but their beach cruisers are usually good enough value for a bike at the holiday shack.

Back