charging through the discharge port revisited, Unit Pack Power battery

CrossRoads

Local time
10:25 PM
I've already read some of the charge through discharge threads, and understand that is generally not advised for the reason that overcharging could occur due to the BMS switching being different on the charge vs discharge ports. Sorry for beating dead horses.

I've been buying these economical 48V Unit Pack Power batteries (the blue bricks) that seem so far to be excellent performance and lotsa bang for a low spectrum buck. They all come with XT60 discharge ports and XLR (three pin) charge ports on the battery.

My recent purchase was a 60V 40AH (big boy) for a different bike. Same thing, XT60 output and XLR input on the battery leads. Weird thing is the 60V charger that comes with the battery has two anderson connectors for the DC leads. Having plenty of XT60 - to - anderson adapters around, I didnt think too hard and grabbed one and plugged it in and the battery charged up fine to the expected 67 volts.

Now i'm wondering if doing it that way was the manufacturers intended use? Am i risking my life? Is this insane? There is unfortunately very little technical information available for these batteries and chargers. THAT is the hidden price-tag of going with the inexpensive battery from a chinese company, with almost no customer service. The supplied user manual is generic to all the UPP batteries, with no specific information.

No, you are supposed to put your own XLR plug on the charger. Charging thru the discharge port is not for regular use, especially on a high-voltage battery.

Thanks for the advise. Seems weird that they would ship it to me that way, but maybe was just a mistake. Makes me trust the company a little less. I guess you get what you pay for sometimes.

I'm slightly worried now that because i have charged it up once using this method (still haven't used the thing, just charged it after unboxing), i have potentially introduced out of balanced cells. I am new to battery tech, obviously, should i be trippin' or am i probably fine?

Update / conclusion worth mentioning: Turns out i was being a dumb-ass and it was not the manufacturer's fault. Charger did come with the XLR connector and the battery with an XLR connector on the charging port. Just want to make sure I'm not talking sh** about Unit Pack Power, as, so far their batteries have performed pretty awesomely for me, despite being a bit under-market.

My housemate had a 12V battery charger in the living-room, which looks EXACTLY like my 60V charger, same manufacturer, same case, which I mistook it for, except it has anderson connectors, and I proceeded to "realize" that I had charged it with the anderson connectors through the discharge port, Even though I actually hadn't. Fortunately for me I wound up testing the output with a voltmeter before proceeding to re-solder a new connector and fortunately realized my dumbassery before doing anything.

Back