Changing gears

Jdaniel343

Local time
7:20 AM
I currently have a cassette with 14-28 gear set and a 48 tooth crank gear.
When I'm in the 14 tooth I tend to air pedal with no resistance doing 16mph or more.
Should I change out the crank gear to a 54 or 56 tooth or the cassette to a 11-32 tooth?

A difficult one. For context, I have a huge amount of spares so I do one or the other depending on the type of bike it is and sometimes I do both - the cassette/freewheel for the wider range of gearing and the larger chainwheel to get rid of that spin at higher speeds.

I currently have a cassette with 14-28 gear set and a 48 tooth crank gear.
When I'm in the 14 tooth I tend to air pedal with no resistance doing 16mph or more.
Should I change out the crank gear to a 54 or 56 tooth or the cassette to a 11-32 tooth?
First of all a 54 or 56 would be way too tall gearing. If you change the crank sprocket it will affect the entire gear range. If you change the Freewheel to 11-32 you will get the higher gear for speed and increase the hill climbing gear, the rest of the ratios are spread between the other 5 gears.

Note: changing the crank sprocket is much easier than changing the Freewheel, but both are pretty easy if you have the proper tools and solid mechanical skills.

You also need to consider the clearance of the new chain ring from the chain stay. I recently went from a 42T to 46T chain ring, and the clearance is rather tight. I don't think I could move to a bigger chain ring with my bike frame.

You also need to consider the clearance of the new chain ring from the chain stay. I recently went from a 42T to 46T chain ring, and the clearance is rather tight. I don't think I could move to a bigger chain ring with my bike frame.
There are chainrings with different offsets to help with that issue.

There are chainrings with different offsets to help with that issue.
That's true, in fact both my 42T and 46T rings are offset - toward the bake frame. I chose this in order to have a (nearly) centered chainline. I have a 10-speed cassette, and I wanted to be able to use all cogs with minimal chain distortion. I have a Bafang BBS02, so the chainline can be an issue. Anyway, the chain stay clearance on the 46T is OK, and it's working great for me!

Back