Chain slipping off chainring

tdgamble

Local time
10:44 PM
hey all. I've been tinkering with my new mid drive build and have everything almost dialed in perfectly.
cyc stealth gen 3 with 8 speed 11-36t.
I had all kinds of chain skipping issues and ended up replacing the casette, chain and shifting cable.
the chain skipping was pretty much eliminated after a few tweaks with cable tension and limit screws.
the only problem now that has happened a couple of times, when I'm coasting, usually downhill pretty fast, when I start pedaling again the chain comes off the front chainring and gets wedged between the frame and chainring.
I'm wondering if I need to replace my freehub, which I was planning on doing anyways because it seems most of these parts need to be swapped.
what else could I have missed? I've seen guys install chain guides maybe I need to look into something like that.

Did you figure this out? Chain center line could be the issue.
it's my rear hub. it doesn't freewheel very well anymore so when I'm coasting the chain goes slack. as soon as I start pedaling, in either 8th or 1st because of the angle of the chain, it comes odd the chain ring

Upgrade to a DT Swiss ratcheting hub. You can get a DT 350 for a little over $200 on Amazon more in BC I'm sure but you won't ever need to do it again.

Upgrade to a DT Swiss ratcheting hub. You can get a DT 350 for a little over $200 on Amazon more in BC I'm sure but you won't ever need to do it again.
yeah I've been looking at replacing the rear wheel. it's a cheap one that came with the bike. no idea what kind of hub as there are no markings on it. I don't think that ratcheting freehub will fit on my hub

Just measure your hub width it's probably 148mm, pretty standard.

If you have less than an 11 speed cassette you just put a spacer behind your cassette but the width of the hub is the same 148mm.

You can put anywhere from an 8-11 speed cassette on an 11 hub.

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Back