Chain jumps off chain ring on e-bike

Duncan

Local time
2:57 PM
Hi, my wife was gifted a new Sondors Smart Step fat tire folding e-bike from her niece. Unfortunately the chain has fallen off the chain ring multiple times when in the lowest gear so I contacted Sondors tech support. It was suggested that the derailleur needed adjustment, but there is no problem with shifting as each step settles nicely without any climbing or dropping down and the chain isn’t slack. So a derailleur adjustment doesn’t make sense to me. The alignment in the lowest gear or largest sprocket gear seems a bit acute, but in the center gear 4 it looks fine. Sondors apparently does offer a chain guide, but it is not listed on their site as an option. I’m tempted to fit a narrow-wide chain ring, remove the outer chain guard and fit a chain guide. Does that make sense? Is there something I might be missing.. Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions. So far for me with my bad back I’m happy with my Fat Tad recumbent from Utah trikes that I fitted a 1000W Bafang drive as essentially a mid drive configuration. Since I really don’t need a fat tire trike that goes 35+ I removed the 52T and fitted a pretty red 40T chain ring which gives me lots of torque rather than speed. Seems a bit safer that way, but still a bit of a beast. Duncan

If the chain line is correct; (middle cog on freewheel; chain should be straight to chainwheel. Pedal backward to find stiff links and other abnormalities. If ok and derail. cage moves freely....takes up slack; suspect a poor quality chain. Fix the problem; don't just try to keep it from occurring'

First and foremost, look down at the front chainring as it rotates. Is it even, or is it wobbly? If its wobbly in any way you have an issue with either a bent chainring or something with the bottom bracket (could be as little as being a bit loose).

Looking at the Sondors factory photos on their web site, I would be willing to bet they did something very common among direct-to-consumer bikes: The chain is too short. So when you are on the big cog in back, the derailleur cage is pulled forward. The photo of the white bike shows exactly this. The fact that there is a really big chainring on the front exacerbates the issue. Plus the Step stays aren't all that long, and getting setup right all the more important. Lastly, Steps have been sold in large numbers that were factory seconds/returns at a discount. You could have one with an issue that did not get corrected when it went back out.

A narrow-wide ring is pretty much a no-brainer, although there is something to what @sojourner says with regard to fixing the problem rather than papering over it. For a 1x drivetrain the method of determining chain length is different from the one used when you have multiple front chainrings.

In short, when on the smallest rear cog, your chain should be long enough so the derailleur cage is just long enough to have tension on it. The cage is there to wrap excess chain. Its a common mistake to not put enough chain on so it can properly do its job. Here is a picture of a chain that has been properly adjusted with this in mind. Compare what you see here to what is typical with DIY builds and even low-cost factory builds.

hi gear. Cage points straight back but has enough tension on it that the rear/bottom pulley does not interfere with the front/top, and the chain is pulled taut.
IMG_20180210_143856.jpg

Low gear. You can't make the chain any longer than what you did in setting it for hi gear, so the low gear takes care of itself and is what it is. In this case with a relatively small 32T cluster, the positioning is perfect with the top pulley being just a hair ahead of the bottom.
IMG_20180210_143748.jpg

With big modern day clusters in the 46-50T range you can't help but have even a super long cage pull forward, but getting the low gear right keeps it reasonable. This one below is 50T... huge. But it still isn't too bad in the stretched-forward department
20230122_145647.jpg

Compare your bike to this, and I bet you need to go get a new chain and put it on with more links.

Back