Chain jump or drop

Jred5691

Local time
5:56 AM
Hi I am writing to ask about my chain. I recently bought a new r1u 700 series. Everything is great smooth ride and enjoying the ride the problem is the chain has started dropping off on any major bumps wether I'm pedaling or not. I don't know what to do to fix this willing to try anything the last time I rode I watched the chain and it was on the bottom of the pedal crank where it started to come off. If I hit a big enough bump it just jumps completely off. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Jp

Hi Jp, Welcome to our little home :)

Should be a 45 degree angle from the top of the derailuer leg cog to the chainstay.

If the derailuer leg is pointing directly to the ground then the chain is longer than needed, so remove a few links and post back to us about
the outcome.

Hope that helps mate :)

Ride Safe :cool:

HP

If there are too many links in the chain the tensioner won't be able to keep enough tension.

You need one of these.....chain ring guide. I had the same problem, hasn't dropped since I installed one. Got it from Amazon.

Attachments

• a0241ec9-6b71-4ac7-8750-e8d3afa29b72.jpg
    a0241ec9-6b71-4ac7-8750-e8d3afa29b72.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 118
Can't see your bike from here, never heard of the brand, and OP posted no link and no pictures.

However, some type of chain tensioner, or a chainline adjustment, or shortening the chain, is almost always the solution to such problems. Which one you need, or which would work best, is impossible to determine with the information given.

Thanks for all the advice looks like chain too long if I go by the 45° rule will try shortening and get back to you!

Attachments

• 16557366289057243942250299509115.jpg
    16557366289057243942250299509115.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 109
Hey so I went to shorten the chain and while looking over derailer I noticed it slightly bent so I straightened it then readjusted everything. I went for a ride after and have not had the chain jump yet. I do have another question though when derailer is on largest cog I can have trouble back pedaling because it is just naturally offset from crank I assume this is normal?

Nope; but dont backpedal. It has no positives and plenty of negatives. Utube has a film on "chainline", by "Park Bike Tools" it's overly complicated but it will show you how to look for issues

Back