Carrying ebike battery in a backpack

sam

Local time
4:59 AM
I'm not sure if a 60V 18 pound ebike battery is too much to be carried in a backpack? Anyone have any experience with carrying an ebike battery in their backpack?

Wouldn't recommend an 18lb battery in a back pack. I think you'll just end up hating it. I suppose you could always try it out and then mount it to the bike if it's too heavy for you!

I've been daily driving a 27Ah 52v battery (aprox 5kg) in my backpack for 3-4 years now. And from my experience:

-Back fatigue after looong rides (to be expected with any heavy-is backpack)
-battery does not run hot (or even warm)
-I fell a couple of times, everything is OK.
-mtb is hella-fun with a light and balanced bike. The backpack is not noticeable in the first 2 hours but needs to be firmly strapped to handle jumps.
-I feel the battery is better protected in my packpack on rough terrain and jumps rather than being on the frame.
-it's a pain to be tethered to the bike. But I've gotten used to adding a couple of steps to unplug when getting off. The cable extends enough so I can get off, rest the bike down and not pull on it.
-used a keycard extender thingy to auto-retract my cable when unplugging or extend if random tuggs occurred.
-not really worried about explosions, it's not a pouch battery, it's an 18650 pack and the ends are pointing up/down not directly at my back. I did a fire drill a couple of times and can safely chuck my backpack reasonably fast.

Other notes: I stupidly put a jacket with a metalic zipper in the battery compartment and it shorted the charging leads (mini xt60). Nothing exceptional happened, there was a pop, part of the connector melted and the bms shut the battery down. All was fixed after I replaced the connector. No damage to self. I could tell there was a problem and took it off immediately.

If anyone has any questions go ahead :)

End note: I'm looking to add a small frame mounted bottle style battery to use on really short trips (store / neighborhood) when I can't be bothered to take my backpack.

I'm not sure if a 60V 18 pound ebike battery is too much to be carried in a backpack? Anyone have any experience with carrying an ebike battery in their backpack?
It can be done, but it's the worst possible place to carry a battery.

Thread is 2+years old......I bet he figured it out already.
I'm amazed every single day at how little people here "figure out" over long periods of time... probably something to do with the uneducated background noise.

Back