Canyon Precede:ON 7 AL review

Thank you for the tip! Bike theft is a problem here so i have made some preparations. I already have Abus and Kryptonite U-locks from my previous bikes which i will use for now. I will probably upgrade to better Abus u-lock and one of their folding locks that can be mounted in the body of the bike. I think the bike has screws for it installed at the factory. They should be between the rear wheel and seatpost. This way i can have one key for both locks and the battery lock. U-lock will travel on the rear pannier.

Hi Mika,

Good luck with the bike, I hope you like it. I'd be very interested to hear your views on here after you've covered a few hundred miles.
It took me while to get used to the bike as I'm an experienced normal bike cyclist. After making the change to the Canyon it took me a while to realise that the fastest uphill progress was NOT using the highest gearing and maximum assistance, no matter how much effort your legs do. I eventually realised that best uphill progress was made by a lower gearing setting, keep your cadence (pedal spinning speed) high and then increased assistance, you can really feel that work in tour+ mode as it really then starts to fly. 15 mph is easy to do on the flat sections, the Bosch system is not meant to get you up a steep hill at 15 mph, it's meant to get you up that hill at a lower speed without feeling tired. Once I realised that I really got the best out of the bike

Thank you! I was still waiting for a reply from Canyon. That is great news! My bike has been in a terminal couple km’s away from my home since monday, but it has not moved since. The customer service has no idea where it is, but they promised to call me later today. I’m fearing the worst as last time my shipment got stuck like that, it was because they had impaled the coffee maker with forklift’s fork .

I recieved my bike about 1,5 weeks ago and as much as i’d like to say that i love it i can’t. It came with multiple issues so it sat the first weekend my apartment’s bike room waiting for a response from Canyon (they had closed the customer service day early that week). Then, last monday i was told to walk it for inspection at local Canyon partner and they’ve not had time to even look at it yet.

The bike was sold out while i’ve been waiting for something to be done by Canyon so i will probably end up without a bike as they told me the only way to get a functioning one is to endure through this inspection ordeal, then if it is as faulty as it seems, return it and wait for reimbursement and order a new one (discount has likely ended by then). Does your battery click when you put it in the bike? Mine did not and the customer service was not sure if it even should. I think the manual says it should? This would explain wht my bike lost power on test drive.

I recieved my bike about 1,5 weeks ago and as much as i’d like to say that i love it i can’t. It came with multiple issues so it sat the first weekend my apartment’s bike room waiting for a response from Canyon (they had closed the customer service day early that week). Then, last monday i was told to walk it for inspection at local Canyon partner and they’ve not had time to even look at it yet.

The bike was sold out while i’ve been waiting for something to be done by Canyon so i will probably end up without a bike as they told me the only way to get a functioning one is to endure through this inspection ordeal, then if it is as faulty as it seems, return it and wait for reimbursement and order a new one (discount has likely ended by then). Does your battery click when you put it in the bike? Mine did not and the customer service was not sure if it even should. I think the manual says it should? This would explain wht my bike lost power on test drive.
Hi Mika

Sorry to hear about your problems. Depending on what size bike frame you have, you may have the 625w Powertube battery - I got this battery with my large size frame. The instructions are quite bad about this, but with the 625W battery there is an adapter piece of shiny black plastic that screws to the bottom end of the battery casing to make it, in effect, a little longer overall (the profile shape of the plastic piece is the same as the battery). This then means it is the right length to fit in the battery opening on the frame. It then clicks shut when you have inserted it correctly (remember to firstly screw on the long matt black plastic cover (that says Canyon) to the top of the battery so that it become rainproof & it also gives you a finger grip to remove the battery

If you did not fit the plastic battery length extender, the battery would have been very loose in the battery compartment & most like would suffer loose connection

Hope this helps

Hi, following my message on 14 Aug discussing the battery adapter piece needing to be fitted, did you manage to resolve the issue?

Mine came with the smaller 500w battery so there was no adaptor piece and the support knew nothing about it, but they said it probably comes only with the bigger battery. My manual says nothing about the adapter and the only extra parts are these round plastic, orange things with flaps (support did not know what they were for) and a small, coin sized black cap like thing.The bike was deemed too faulty to be fixed and Canyon wanted it to be returned so back it went. They did not investigate any other issues except the rear wheel as the enviolo hub alone was way too faulty and costly to replace. The hub was causing the looseness of the wheel.

My size came back in stock (only one unit) so i bought it. It took about 1,5 weeks to deliver it which was expected from the previous experience. And about as long for Canyon and DHL to arrange the old one to be taken away. New bike was delivered today and the old one was taken away by the same courier. I didn’t really expect anything as this ordeal has taken a toll on me, but i hoped that i would be happily surprised.

The front wheel or brakes are chafing (might go away by riding more), front light works a bit oddly. It won’t turn on if i hold the up button down for two seconds. Instead it flashes once, but if i immediately release the button it turns on after 2-3 seconds. The window to release the button is a bit finnicky and i often failed to turn on the light at all. My previous bike worked differently as the light switched on immediately. Also, light was installed loosely to the stem as it was and shaking from the lightest touch. I’m also getting an error stating that the Bosch wireless (assist mode) controller is running out of battery so i will have to go buy a battery for it i guess. They have also installed a different smart phone mount on the cockpit so the SP-connect compatible phone case i bought for the old bike is not suitable anymore. I have no idea what brand mount it is as it had the same SP-connect ”please remove this label before use” -label attached to it, but it clearly is completely different mount. The brakes are not as effective as the previous bike. They won’t stop the bike immediately. Instead the bike will slowly grind to a halt over several meters.

I can tell that the battery locks now differently. In the first bike if i wanted to remove it, all i needed to do was to turn the key and it popped right out. In the new one it comes partially off and i’m then required to press the release button to remove it. Just like in the video by Canyon. It does not click in place though. The biggest issue is that during my short test ride the bike turned off on its own when i was riding downhill. No error codes. An hour later i got a notification that the bike has an unknown error and restart is required.

I am so frustrated that i’m sending this one back too. I cannot understand how two same bikes can be so differently built and how both of them can be so faulty. I’m not going to make the same mistake of letting them try to fix the bike snd waste another 1,5 months of my time. I’m terribly sorry this turned put so negative. When the bike works it rides beautifully and going up steep hills on Tour+ feels like flying.

Hi, I am on the fence for this model but I have some doubts when it comes to geometry/fit/comfort.

I am 185cm tall and 86cm inseam. I own a 2014 Spectral 29er (Size L,140mm front suspension, 30mm rise bar and 40mm stem, 175mm cranks) and it always felt a bit too low on the front end: the riding position when seated puts some strain on my neck. I do not feel the size is too small for me, just not cutting the fork's steering tube stupidly sort will have fixed it. For some reason Canyon always leave as little as 15mm spacers under the stem giving you little room for adjustability.

Seem like the stack is larger and the reach shorter on the Precede ON AL when compared with the Spectral. However I am not sure that will compensate for the longer stem, flat bar and shorter cranks the precede comes with. Also, the spacers under the stem-bar combo seem to be on the short size. This, together with the impossibility(?) to swap to a conventional stem+bar separates makes me hesitate to pull the triger.

All the reviews online don't help as no one states size frame, rider height or inseam measurements. Would you mind sharing here some of those numbers? Maybe some pics of you guys seated on the bike?

It will be tremendously helpful for other riders here

Cheers

Hi Mika

Sorry to hear about your problems. Depending on what size bike frame you have, you may have the 625w Powertube battery - I got this battery with my large size frame. The instructions are quite bad about this, but with the 625W battery there is an adapter piece of shiny black plastic that screws to the bottom end of the battery casing to make it, in effect, a little longer overall (the profile shape of the plastic piece is the same as the battery). This then means it is the right length to fit in the battery opening on the frame. It then clicks shut when you have inserted it correctly (remember to firstly screw on the long matt black plastic cover (that says Canyon) to the top of the battery so that it become rainproof & it also gives you a finger grip to remove the battery

If you did not fit the plastic battery length extender, the battery would have been very loose in the battery compartment & most like would suffer loose connection

Hope this helps
Hi @Volvos60s69

So, this seems to be the most active forum discussing this bike. Thanks for the advice here so far, it's been very useful!

I have the Canyon Precede:ON 6 AL, Size M.

I set it up yesterday and took it for a spin, lovely!

This morning, I noticed that the bike was powering on and off constantly. I took the battery out and replaced it. This solved the problem.

My concern now, however, is that there is a large gap between the top of the battery and the frame:

PXL_20231202_125605146.jpg

The bottom part fits snugly, as expected:
PXL_20231202_125627364.jpg

You mentioned an "adaptor piece that clips onto the end of the battery." I have one of these, but it's the same size as the one already fitted to the battery.

So, do you also have "gaps" around the battery and frame?

Cheers,

Allan.

One quick update here, yes, the battery was in the wrong place. I took it to my local Canyon service center and they repositioned the connectors in the frame to make the battery sit more centrally. Since then the bike has not switched itself off on hitting bigger bumps.

Also, I no longer get this error message https://www.bosch-ebike.com/en/help-center/error/63000C which was caused by the black plastic covering putting pressure on the on/off switch. It took me a while to find the switch. It's actually hidden under the cover somewhere around the 2nd "N" in CANYON.

The large gaps on the battery cover are not really an issue as I don't think Canyon ever intended for the black battery cover to form a rain proof seal. I suspect that it's intended that any water entering the compartment runs down the inside of the downtube & exits at the bottom of the frame.
With respect to the battery powering off over bumps, I had this. I slackened off the allen screws on the battery support cage, adjusted the end stops to ensure a very snug battery fit & retightened it & had no more powering down problems

Back