Cannot communicate to program Bafang Motor

DennisBrain

Local time
12:06 PM
I spent over a month reading all posts on using a Bafang programming cable. And I believe I tried all the advice, running in Win 7 compatibility mode, Win 10, even on an Android and using a web based interface. Turn on in the recommended sequence. Load the correct drivers for the UART chip. All I can do is get the screen showing that the program is connected to the UART via the correct port. I cannot get communication with the Bafang controller. I tried a cable from ebay that sold many and also a cable from Luna.

I was hoping for a stroke of luck like some had where it suddenly works one time, and then never again. My wife's trike came from MarketPlace and has been illogically setup for level 1 puting out over 500 watts, and increasing from there. She wants assist, but to be able to have minimal and increasing over the 1-9 range. Now she insists on riding at 0, which is too hard for her.

What other options are there to change this illogical programming/settings? I read many many blogs and posts and probably tried all the standard workarounds. As for many, nothing using the program cables works for me.

Thanks,
Dennis

You must be missing a step, this is a very simple process. Are you using a Windows based PC with a com port? Don’t know why your need a UART chip. Are you connecting the cable to the display input at the main wiring harness?

Not sure if even an eggrider display would work.

Hub drive bafang motor or a mid drive?

:unsure:

I hope I am missing a step. Yes on comm port, and even changed comm port from higher number to 1-4 as someone suggested. PC connects just fine to the cable/UART. But, as so many anguish over, does not populate data via talking to controller. I turned on and connected in the required oder. Yes, I hope someone tells me how dumb I am and along with that what I am doing wrong. I really tried and am now re-re-re...repeating myself, nothing new.

UART chip is what is inside the cable to allow it to serially talk to the Bafang controller. Some people have made their own cables. But not me.

It is a mid-drive, but on a trike. It is probably a 750W motor, BBS02.

I just assumed you had a BBSHD. Is your controller programable? I also have a Voltbike Enduro with the newer Bafang middrive motor 750 watt and it cannot be reprogrammed. The power delivery is too abrupt in the 1st setting but can’t be changed.

G06 series Bafang middrive motor is non programmable according to the Voltbike reseller in Vancouver B.C.

Had similar difficulties on my mid drive. Probably due to my lack of cyber skills.
Got an egg rider and solved the problem. Love that thing.

Hey, I discovered another way to get the program to read and write: disconnect the USB adapter from your PC, power down the bike (using tghe master power switch), power it back up and reconnect the USB device. That un-grayed the Read and Write boxes for me.

G06 series Bafang middrive motor is non programmable according to the Voltbike reseller in Vancouver B.C.
How can you tell if this is what you have? I bought two Bafang BBS02 48V 750W motor kits November, 2022 and just like the OP I can't get the programming to connect. I keep getting the message "File handle is not a com handle"

I was wondering if the egg rider might not work better for a lame-o computer guy like myself.

Also would I be able to program the controller with the egg rider then put the DPC 18 display back on and retain the settings?

Just wondering if this would work since we have two bikes, or would I need the egg controller for both bikes.

Ok so I went to the link provided by Mtnbiker and I got connected. Yea! I changed the PAS levels and speed limits in Basic settings, then went to Pedal Assist setting and tried to change from five levels of PAS to nine. I changed the designate assist level box to 9 and then clicked on Write and also on write flash. When I reconnect the DPC18 display it still only has five levels. I don't know if the other settings took hold or not because it's snowing out right now so I cant test ride it.

What am I missing?

Ok so I went to the link provided by Mtnbiker and I got connected. Yea! I changed the PAS levels and speed limits in Basic settings, then went to Pedal Assist setting and tried to change from five levels of PAS to nine. I changed the designate assist level box to 9 and then clicked on Write and also on write flash. When I reconnect the DPC18 display it still only has five levels. I don't know if the other settings took hold or not because it's snowing out right now so I cant test ride it.

What am I missing?
DPC 18 sets the PAS level count inside of the display. Probably in the Advanced section you need a PIN code to get into. Who sold you the DPC18? You can google the most common codes. Luna has a video on this as well.

You can adjust the levels inside of the Bafang motor but if the display setting is set to use the lesser number, that is where it stays until you match the display setting to the motor setting.

Thanks, for your reply m@Robertson. I bought them on Amazon from Accolmile, I wish I had done some research first and bought them from Luna. According to this thread the newer dcp18s can't be changed they are fixed at 5 levels, https://ebikesforum.com/threads/no-pas-adjustments-on-bafang-dcp18-display.1422/#post-10767

I looked at the DCP18 at Luna and they say,

Bafang has refined and updated their most popular full color display, the DPC-14 to the new DPC-18 and of course Luna has them in stock and ready to ship. With a plethora of features, they have completely gotten rid of the advanced menu so most adjustments can be done in one screen and without the need of a password to memorize.

Display Features:

• Full Color Display
  • Automatic Night Mode (with customizable light sensitivity)
  • 5 levels of assist
  • Choice of Percentage or Voltage display for Battery
  • USB Charger
  • Accurate battery gauge
  • Watt OR Amp Display to gauge how much you are pulling
  • Clock
  • Password Lock
  • Error code list and memory
So no more advanced setting and only 5 PAS levels.

The last post in the thread linked above says that the five PAS levels correspond to levels 2,4,6,8,and 9 rather than 1-5 seems like Luna would know if this is correct or not.

I hadn't heard about the change to the DPC18 but I have considered it obsolete for at least the last couple of years - as soon as first the 500C (compact, but in the end tough to read in bright sun) and then the 860C came out. The latter is brighter during the daytime, you can set it so it shows real time wattage and amp output at the same time. It has a working clock and it is more water-resistant than its predecessors.

I usually buy displays from Luna exclusively because they tend to have versions that don't have stupid issues like 52v/60v incompatibility.

I actually pulled off one or two DPC18's from completed bikes and replaced them with 860c's. I probably still have one or two of what is now apparently an 'original' version in a box in my shop... somewhere.

Someone in that other thread you linked stated when you are at 5 levels, the ones you edit in the motor controller that correspond to 1, 3, 5, 7 and 9 are the ones the display uses. That is what I have heard as well. Either way you get the fully selected range, just with bigger jumps in between.

Thanks, looks like the 860c is the one to go with if you want a full size display, also looking at the 750c with horizontal display not sure how it compares for daytime brightness though, also no usb power output for phone charging.

I am also considering the eggrider v2 but want to find out if it is compatible with my phone I currently am using an old iPhone 6 and am planning to get a new phone soon but not right away. My wife has a new iPhone so I guess we could probably put them both on the same phone. Also I don't like that it doesn't display speedometer on the handlebar display. It has odometer but if I had a choice I'd go with speedometer and look at the phone for odometer.

Someone also said that the five levels on the DPC18 were 2,4.6.8,9 but 1.3.5.7.and 9 makes more sense, I'm going to test this out even though I plan to replace them.

I have an EggRider v2 on my Cyc-powered enduro. If you dig in and lurk for awhile on the ER user group on Facebook, you will see it still has bugs, with new issues cropping up as old ones are retired, if they are retired. The ER has to phone home to work and that means you can be locked out for a variety of inadvertent reasons. Mine cannot be updated due to a bug between the motor vendor and ER.

Its a neat little display - especially if you don't really need a display while riding as you have to sort of concentrate on it to read the thing - but ER has never delivered a fully baked and reliable product.

If you like the Eggrider physical display, it is also sold as a generic: The Bafang SW102. Google that and you'll see them available. Its only limitation beyond its small display size is it is locked in at 5 levels of PAS, which is not going to be a big difference for you :)

Back