Camping. How do you charge an ebike battery from 12 Volt?

dba

Local time
5:03 AM
My questions is how do you charge your ebike while camping?

Also do ebikes come with a water bottle holder?

I’ve never camped without power so that I don’t know unless you have a solar charger. I have a rad city step through and it has the bottle holder in the normal spot so in this group it’s helpful if you also let folks know what bike you have so it’s easier to get the right people answering.

Maybe buy a dc to ac converter and charge off of your car battery or buy a 12v deep cell marine battery to charge off of. I think harbor freight sells converters... Could also use a generator

I use a small, quiet Honda generator to charge 2 bike batteries on extended camping road trips. You won't get much charge out of most 12V deep cycle batter charging a 36V or 48V battery with an inverter. It would also take a pretty big solar panel and inverter to get a charge in a decent time.

Most bikes have cage bosses that bottle cages can bolt on to on the down tube and or seat tube, but a lot of ebikes, especially step through or folders don't. You can find strap adapters like the Topeak Versa Mount or SKS Anywhere Adapter if you don't have braze on cage bosses. Alternately, these work as great handle bar water bottle, snack, and bear spray holders:

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
SOLAR! I’ve been doing the solar e-bike thing since 2016 and it truly is the best way to charge, camping or not. I recently added a couple solar e-bike charging kits onto our website, and more are coming soon...

I have a renogy 400 watt solar generator and. 100 waat solar suitcase. I have a solar cooler, solar light and solar stove. The generators (I being 2) can be charged from the car if there is no sun so there is never a risk in rainy weather.

SOLAR! I’ve been doing the solar e-bike thing since 2016 and it truly is the best way to charge, camping or not. I recently added a couple solar e-bike charging kits onto our website, and more are coming soon...
What is your website? We are looking at options to charge our ebikes while boondocking.

I've been thinking about 2 100 watt flexible solar panels and an adjustable 36v/48v/52v/60v/72v MPPT controller.
Been wondering how long that setup will take to charge a 48v 30ah battery :unsure:

@JoanieG let us know if you get a response

Ride Safe! :cool:

HP

A problem with solar for charging is it means sitting around for 3-4 hours and making sure the battery pack and panels do not walk off. Either a DC to DC charger plugged into the car or truck or taking along a long extension cord and plugging into 120VAC are the most realistic options.

E-bikes are fine for use with an RV or when using a home base, but for camping I would use either a human powered bike or a gas powered motorcycle. The advantage of an RV (motorhome, van, trailer, slide-in camper) is that the solar panels can be mounted on the roof and the battery can be recharged while inside the RV.

Back