Buying an eBike vs eBike conversion

The thing that makes me cringe is the people who build an ebike on a frame that is not going to be able to handle the extra stresses. It may look fine for now but it's a ticking time-bomb.

With the current popularity of ebikes and also the availability of lower cost ebikes, the money, time & effort to convert an acoustic bicycle into an ebike are quite significant investments.
Especially when an acoustic bicycle that is not meant to handle the extra stress that comes with strapping a motor, battery &other components onto the bike, additionally the extra brake performance needed once your acoustic bike is capable of traveling at higher speeds with an electric motor.

For under $1.5k, you can get a very nice, fun, reliable ebike, complete, shipped to your door & ready to ride.
No need to spend time fussing with how to mount your motor or battery, connecting everything and go through the trial & error of setting up everything; which leaves you more time to enjoy the riding.

I've been converting acoustic bicycles into ebikes since 2014, I used to enjoy the time spent in garage testing different setups and optimizing performance; but now I just want a ebike that I hop on and ride. No longer want to fuss with stuff that could go wrong.

I ride in NYC metro where ebike delivery folks are on every block, working 24/7 in all weather, they depend on their ebikes to make a living, to be reliable and take abuse.
I don't see converted ebikes used for deliveries.
I do see plenty of cheap Chinese made ebikes among the delivery folks, lately I've seen more Lectric XP, and other fatter tire models; and I think there are good reasons for that.

Ultimately, depending on your usage of the ebike.
If you want something that you like to tinker with, spend time in garage working out the optimum performance, go DIY.
If you just want to turn key & ride, buy a complete ebike and you may just spend more time riding instead of tinkering.

The thing that makes me cringe is the people who build an ebike on a frame that is not going to be able to handle the extra stresses. It may look fine for now but it's a ticking time-bomb.
Well I hope my builds dont make you cringe.

I dont tinker much on my builds...When diy built right, things are great.
If I were to buy an already built bike i may go with what "A" says.

Well I hope my builds dont make you cringe.
I'm talking things like a guy near me who "rescues" frames from the junkyard and refurbs them for "disadvantaged" folks. Lately he's begun doing a few eBike conversions but he doesn't really hold them to a different standard so it winds up being corrosion or rust, frame cracks, stress dents in the head tube??? Meh, just paint it over, who cares. (YIKES!)

We all have hobbies....if rebuilding bikes is your thing....I say go for it......some of us rebuild cars....some restore antiques....I have restored some 40 19th century horse drawn vehicles (carriages...sleighs...wagons....stagecoaches...etc...) over the years......when it comes to ebikes.....I don't want to work on mine....just ride for exercise and have fun. Do your thing....have fun.

Oh no, don't tell me that... I just ordered a SWYTCH. My bike is a pretty sturdy hybrid. What problems should I anticipate?

I love doing this as an hobby, it of course has pros and cons
I have revised the layout many times and now have a "design for assembly", "design for repairability" layout
I can change most parts with a wide range of alternatives quickly and cost effectively

I realize this is probably a pretty big "ask" but I just got this bike today for $50 with the intention of putting a conversion kit on it. What would you do with it?

Attachments

• IMG20221129121800.jpg
    IMG20221129121800.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 109
I realize this is probably a pretty big "ask" but I just got this bike today for $50 with the intention of putting a conversion kit on it. What would you do with it?
Well, ya could kit it with a 1500w hub drive on there and some fatter tires, prolly 26 x 2.0" tires would be nice,
and a battery....could mount on rear rack or install rivnuts on that downtube possibly....possibly....

Then ride it for a day and sell it :)

You can prolly get around $800 - $1000 for it, maybe more.

Well, ya could kit it with a 1500w hub drive on there and some fatter tires, prolly 26 x 2.0" tires would be nice,
and a battery....could mount on rear rack or install rivnuts on that downtube possibly....possibly....

Then ride it for a day and sell it :)

You can prolly get around $800 - $1000 for it, maybe more.
I may just post as is and see what offers I get idk yet. The same guy has a bunch of old bikes and frames he wants to sell just sent me a bunch of pics. One is a P.U.B. bike? I haven't looked it up yet but the frame looks suitable

That frame doesn't look like it has any brake mounts, just a rear coaster hub brake.
Not ideal for ebike conversion if you want to be able to stop easily.

Well...myself and quite a few others have motorized bicycles with gas engines...and I've used some of these before:

The top one is for the rear and the bottom one is for the front.
There is always a way to convert to disc brakes ;)

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
In order to use those disc brake caliper mounts, you will need to also have the frame clearance for the disc compatible hub/wheel.
That bottom bracket is not compatible with most mid-drive motor.

As long as it's 68mm it'll work. (the BB)

As far as a hub drive ... even a 1000w hub drive will fit in there but ima not joinin any pissin match.

So...where there is a will there is a way...so many have used those disc brake adapters on crazy fast gas bikes.....soooooooo.....just sayin ;)

Have a Safe & Warm day everyone! :cool:

That's a one-piece crank bottom bracket, not even threated bottom bracket shell on the frame.
Sure there are ways, but they are likely more expensive to convert that specific bike than just getting a complete ebike that's already equipped & designed to have disc brakes.

Back