Buying an eBike vs eBike conversion

BTDT for decades, I've worked in the bicycle industry since late 80's; I've converted MTBs into ebikes since 2013.

With cheap & capable ebikes that are available on the market, there is not need to go through the trial & error of converting non-well-suited bicycles into ebikes.

No need to risk the injury of riding a bicycle that's not designed to handle the stress from extra power output & speed of an ebike.

Spending more money to convert a frame that's not designed to handle the stress; I hope no one thinks that's a safe/economical practice.

That cruiser frame likely does not have the rear hub spacing to accommodate a hub motor with a drive sprocket.
The later models will, especially Schwinns, had an old Raleigh I finally gave up on( gave it to Kid to convert to a gas powered motor bike.) Been working on a cheap steel framed step thru ebike, what stopped Me from going middrive was the BB was an odd width.Next bike will be ready made for sure.

Thanks again for all your help.
Glad you found it useful.

You asked about my favorite bike for this sort of thing. As you no doubt can tell I prefer to take my time and build up exactly what I want. My favorite full suspension bike is the one I used in this series:

That was a 1999 Intense Tracer frame (nowadays it has Maxxis knobbies on and some other, different parts like an Ergotec Space handlebar). The High Voltage Youtube channel did a review on this article series and he called it the 'holy grail' of ebike frames. Lots of room for a battery, super strong construction. Excellent downtube angle into the bottom bracket so you can tuck the motor up against it. Expand your search a little to include older frames. I spent a fair bit of time just being patient, biding my time looking for the right frame. I talk about the select/reject process I used that made the review process a lot faster.

Yes the CYC X1 Pro's construction does give you more options than an HD. My GG Smash with the CYC would have hung an HD straight down to the ground.

Yes, for sure thanks again M@, I just looked through the link above, "How to build an ebike from scratch" another wealth of information. I have been working my way through your blog but hadn't gotten to this one yet. The spreadsheet is great and will prevent a lot of further questions from me. I went to pink bike, something I didn't know about until just now. Look what I found an Intense Tracer 2012. https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/3448111/They have changed the frame so it no longer has the space for a battery like yours does. It's a great deal though and with a Chris King rear hub it's ebike ready! Not a lot of detail but the drive has been upgraded to probably a 10 or 11 speed the angle of the picture makes it hard to tell. I did read your blog about the battery back pack you use on your GG Smash.

Back