Buying an eBike vs eBike conversion

That's a one-piece crank bottom bracket, not even threated bottom bracket shell on the frame.
Sure there are ways, but they are likely more expensive to convert that specific bike than just getting a complete ebike that's already equipped & designed to have disc brakes.
Some people like to fabricate and build...your sort of right though @"A"
That bottom bracket has nothing to do with a hub drive lol

but yeah..there are tools and there are items just for those types of bottom brackets...to fit a mid drive motor in that type of bottom bracket...

Yeppers...gets expensive...yet can be done..

Anyway, yeah....it would be better to have everything easy-peasy to assemble eh?

Some people like to fabricate and build...your sort of right though @"A"
That bottom bracket has nothing to do with a hub drive lol

but yeah..there are tools and there are items just for those types of bottom brackets...to fit a mid drive motor in that type of bottom bracket...

Yeppers...gets expensive...yet can be done..

Anyway, yeah....it would be better to have everything easy-peasy to assemble eh?

BTDT for decades, I've worked in the bicycle industry since late 80's; I've converted MTBs into ebikes since 2013.

With cheap & capable ebikes that are available on the market, there is not need to go through the trial & error of converting non-well-suited bicycles into ebikes.

No need to risk the injury of riding a bicycle that's not designed to handle the stress from extra power output & speed of an ebike.

Spending more money to convert a frame that's not designed to handle the stress; I hope no one thinks that's a safe/economical practice.

That cruiser frame likely does not have the rear hub spacing to accommodate a hub motor with a drive sprocket.

BTDT for decades, I've worked in the bicycle industry since late 80's; I've converted MTBs into ebikes since 2013.

With cheap & capable ebikes that are available on the market, there is not need to go through the trial & error of converting non-well-suited bicycles into ebikes.

No need to risk the injury of riding a bicycle that's not designed to handle the stress from extra power output & speed of an ebike.

Spending more money to convert a frame that's not designed to handle the stress; I hope no one thinks that's a safe/economical practice.

That cruiser frame likely does not have the rear hub spacing to accommodate a hub motor with a drive sprocket.
To each their own, Everyone has a right to have different preferences or make different choices.....eh?

That frame can handle a 212tillitson gas engine so it is deff strong enough mate ;)

To each their own, Everyone has a right to have different preferences or make different choices.....eh?

That frame can handle a 212tillitson gas engine so it is deff strong enough mate ;)

Just because it could, doesn't mean it should, often doesn't make it a good idea neither.
Until someone is liable for an accident (or worse, a casualty); it's all fun & game, right?

Now i believe you've lost your mind @"A"

You say it can't be done I say it can...where do you get casualty from? LOL

Let's take this to the msg system if you would like to continue with this banter...otherwise let's not keep on
wrecking this persons thread.

Capiche?

Now i believe you've lost your mind @"A"

You say it can't be done I say it can...where do you get casualty from? LOL

Let's take this to the msg system if you would like to continue with this banter...otherwise let's not keep on
wrecking this persons thread.

Capiche?
I never said it can't be done, please read more carefully.
I don't need to take this to PM, all my posts are related to the topic of thread.
When ebike conversions go wrong, liability is the real consequence when bad things occur; I've witness that in my experience.
There were times when I refuse to work on other people's converted ebike because of liability, just as any bike shop would.
Danger of converting a non-suited frame into an ebike is real.

I don't need to take this to PM, all my posts are related to the topic of thread.
When ebike conversions go wrong, liability is the real consequence when bad things occur; I've witness that in my experience.
There were times when I refuse to work on other people's converted ebike because of liability, just as any bike shop would.
Capiche?
Ahhhhh....I understand now.
Thank you for clearing that up :ROFLMAO:

I realize this is probably a pretty big "ask" but I just got this bike today for $50 with the intention of putting a conversion kit on it. What would you do with it?
If it were Me, i'd prolly go all out and put an engine from here on it, https://smolikperformance.com/
and upgrade the wheels and tires and use those disc brake caliper mounts to upgrade there as well.

We'd be goin at least 45mph on that ;)

Having just put a 750 watt mid-drive Bafang (BBS02) kit together on my Specialized bike, I can see the pros and cons. But so far I'm glad I did it. I guess that makes me biased, but consider a few points:
  • With the motor, battery, special bike tools and accessories, I probably put about $1,400 into my bike (not counting the bike itself, which I already had). I could have bought a pre-built e-bike for that. I also could have spent $6,000 or more on a pre-built bike, so there's the range of possibilities. I also didn't have room for another bike and didn't want to mess around with selling my old one, which had a sturdy frame and was still in very good condition. But I doubt I would have got one-quarter of what I paid for it. The price I paid for my original bike was sunk cost, so to speak.
  • I'm very happy with my build so far, and I still have a few things to tweak. The motor is smooth, quiet and powerful. It easily soars up steep hills in third gear while I pedal much the same way I would on level terrain. It's everything I had hoped it would be. No complaints.
  • Without having actually ridden any pre-built bikes, I suspect mine is more powerful and manages hills better than any pre-built e-bikes I might have found in a similar cost range. The power ratings I've seen on those bikes have been substantially less than mine, and most have hub motors so they don't exploit the gearing like a mid-drive motor does. Bottom line, I don't suppose I've got the equivalent of a $6,000 bike, but I think I've got a more powerful and better performing bike than the $1,400 ebikes I've seen. Maybe some day I'll ride one and see for myself.
  • On the other hand, pre-built ebikes are designed as ebikes from the ground up, and they're generally a more robust build. It remains to be seen how my brakes, spokes, cassette, chain and other components will fare over time. The jury's still out, but I suspect with sensible street riding the maintenance won't be too bad. I've heard some maintenance horror stories on conversion kits and on pre-built bikes, but then a lot of people really beat up their bikes. I don't, so we'll see how my bike holds up.
  • I started out with a bike that I knew was comfortable and fit me well. I might have found an ebike at a local bike shop that was just as good a fit, but an online order would have been a crap shoot.
  • In the process of building my kit bike I learned a lot about how bikes are put together. We became more intimate friends. Once you’ve seen inside their bottom bracket there are no more secrets. I'd be a lot more comfortable with handling a number of common maintenance items now. It's good to know I can do these things if I need to.
So no regrets. I'll keep it, ride it and see how it does. Your mileage may vary.

Here I was yesterday along the North Coast shore with the Great Lake Erie Sphinx watching over me. It was cool and blustery, and it was hard to tell where the lake ended and the sky began, but it was all good.
Whether you buy or build, an E-bike is good for your soul.

On the Beach 11-29-22.jpg

Oh no, don't tell me that... I just ordered a SWYTCH. My bike is a pretty sturdy hybrid. What problems should I anticipate?
If your bike is solid and sturdy, and if you ride it sensibly you’ve got no worries. Enjoy your conversion. The Swytch should be an easy one. While you’re waiting for the motor it’s a good time to make sure your brakes, spokes and other components are in good order.

Let us know how it works out.

You guys have a bunch of experience.
With so many choices out there.
Do you have any suggestions what the good brands are?

Actually I don't think that frame/bike is old....it looks like a black margaritaville bike such as this:
https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-4...f3411dbc5a7a15395dad7e3b3c454a8e&gclsrc=3p.ds
I saw that same pic and had the same thought but unless he welded on old Huffy metal branding and serial number idk. Seems like alot of work for $50. It's also extremely heavy. I'm really not sure at this point but going over there Friday to check out some of his others
I took no offense. I just want to try it as a hobby. I don't expect it to be my primary mode of transportation just want to use it to learn. I'm sure I'll start with cheap batteries, motor etc maybe 250w idk. I don't learn well through videos etc. I need to try and fail and try and fail...until I get it right. It may fall apart my first ride idk but I rarely need to go over 10mph and wear a helmet so...

Does a magnet stick to that frame?
So it does say Huffy huh?
Just be careful and if ya hit any hurdles ask questions before doomsday stikes ;)

Does a magnet stick to that frame?
So it does say Huffy huh?
Just be careful and if ya hit any hurdles ask questions before doomsday stikes ;)
Yes magnet sticks and there are 2 metal "insignias"? Welded to frame. One near front of frame on the side and one below the stem. They say Huffy but in a style I've never seen. It's way too heavy to be aluminum it's a fairly small frame but nearly as heavy as my Rattan

Disc brakes are nice but I don't consider them to be necessary, at least not for how we ride. Our bikes are geared pretty low so we can't go any faster, just farther. we have V-brakes on our mountain bike conversion and they work great you just have to do maintenance on them more often than disc brakes.

One advantage to converting an existing mountain bike over buying an complete ebike is weight. Unless you spend a lot on a high end e mountain bike you usually get a much heavier bike. It doesn't matter too much for ridding but we load our bikes on the back rack of our RV and the additional weight of something like a couple of rads would be too much weight for our rack and hitch. And I also don't like picking up 75 lbs so much anymore.

Our specialized M2 and M4 with the batteries removed weigh 36 and 37lbs.

With the recent development in ebikes & market pricing of ebikes:
The e-bike market has really exploded. I expect i won’t be building my next bike, but I’m still glad I built my first one. I still love my bike and I expect to ride it for a good while. I learned a lot in the build process, but there are some pretty great bike choices out there now and prices seem to be coming down.

I now know better what I’ll want in my next bike, but it isn’t looking like mine will be falling apart anytime soon. Until it does I’ll probably just ride on.

Disc brakes are nice but I don't consider them to be necessary, at least not for how we ride. Our bikes are geared pretty low so we can't go any faster, just farther. we have V-brakes on our mountain bike conversion and they work great you just have to do maintenance on them more often than disc brakes.

Yeah, I don't have disc brakes either and I think I'm fine without them. If you keep it under 20 mph and ride sensibly, good, well-adjusted rim brakes should be pretty safe. If you go 35 mph and zip through traffic like the guys on the YouTube videos, you probably need the best brakes money can buy. And an ejector seat.

Your mileage may vary.

Back