Brand new Rambo Savage motor getting very hot

DEERGUNNER

Hi everyone. I just bought a new Rambo Savage although I’m not a new Rambo owner. I also have a Pursuit.
On Friday, my son and I went for a 6.5 mile ride stopping at a friend’s house a mile from ours for 30 minutes. After riding the mile home which includes a small but fairly steep hill leading to our house, I smelled something hot. Upon inspection, my motor was so hot, I couldn’t touch it! Is this normal or is something wrong with my new bike? My Pursuit has never gotten hot like this (that I know of) although it has the shroud around the motor so it’s difficult to tell.
I have an email into Rambo as well as a message on messenger awaiting a response but I thought I would check with folks that could give me an immediate answer. Thank you in advance!

Hoggdoc

Website
activityphoto.com
Hi everyone. I just bought a new Rambo Savage although I’m not a new Rambo owner. I also have a Pursuit.
On Friday, my son and I went for a 6.5 mile ride stopping at a friend’s house a mile from ours for 30 minutes. After riding the mile home which includes a small but fairly steep hill leading to our house, I smelled something hot. Upon inspection, my motor was so hot, I couldn’t touch it! Is this normal or is something wrong with my new bike? My Pursuit has never gotten hot like this (that I know of) although it has the shroud around the motor so it’s difficult to tell.
I have an email into Rambo as well as a message on messenger awaiting a response but I thought I would check with folks that could give me an immediate answer. Thank you in advance!
I have to ask because your bike is a mid drive motor system what year were you trying to pull that hill in? One of the main advantages of a mid drive motor is the ability to use the gear ratios in the derailer to help the motor operate more efficiently. Use electric motors like to spin faster RPMs not be lugged which cause them to pull more current (amps) and heat up.

I suggest to you go to the bottom of the hill again and try it again but make sure to use a lower gear like 1 or two and see what happens. If you are getting a hot motor after that test it would be time to reach out to the MFG.

DEERGUNNER

My bike has the Sturmey Archer 3 speed and I was in 1st gear. I heard back from Rambo today and their customer service lady told me it definitely wasn’t normal for the motor to get hot like that. An hour later, someone else responded to my email and said that it was fine. ‍
He went on to say that the motor has a temperature sensor in it and will shut down if it gets too hot thus preventing damage. He also said exactly what you said… use lower gears when climbing hills. Although my model doesn’t have a derailer and multiple gears and I already was in the lowest gear.

Top Bottom