Bought a used ebike, terrified of using it - Dook 48v 110w

Dhops

Local time
6:30 PM
I bought a used EBike, but it would seem I am genuinely scared of driving it, let me tell you my reasons as to why, I am terrified of the battery exploding, I shouldn't have acted so quickly and got it but I did, it would seem the bike is from China aswell, The battery is 48v 12 AH, comes in a plastic case but moves around in it. the cable does an orange electric spark after being reconnected to the bike. the brand is Dook, and in chinese it says 110 watts, and 58.7v - 59.3 or so. I wanna cycle but I am just too scared to drive it after reading on the yearly deaths of Ebike battery explosions, any tips??

You should be able to find something you can pack in the battery case to prevent the batteries from moving around.
I don't know if that orange spark is normal or not.
-The time of most concern for lithium batteries is during charging. Charge them outside. Batteries are more stable during discharge.

A lot of times you will get a spark one plugging in your battery that is normal it is powering up the controller whether the controller is off or on One way to prevent that is to put a E bike breaker on the positive lead of the battery and after installing the battery you will switch the breaker on essentially preventing a spark by the battery and will also protect you if something in the bike goes bad trying to blow the battery up the breaker will trip but like I say on Most ebikes you will get a spark when reconnecting a battery because it is powering up the capacitor of the controller

I bought a used EBike, but it would seem I am genuinely scared of driving it, let me tell you my reasons as to why, I am terrified of the battery exploding, I shouldn't have acted so quickly and got it but I did, it would seem the bike is from China aswell, The battery is 48v 12 AH, comes in a plastic case but moves around in it. the cable does an orange electric spark after being reconnected to the bike. the brand is Dook, and in chinese it says 110 watts, and 58.7v - 59.3 or so. I wanna cycle but I am just too scared to drive it after reading on the yearly deaths of Ebike battery explosions, any tips??
I was afraid of my new Tern ebike for about two weeks. Best way is touch the bike controls and sit on it. Turn it on and set the power level and gear to start out on level ground. Wear a helmet. Then, go slowly. Maneuver. Figure eights. Look at the direction you want to go in before you start turning. Dont touch the throttle until you are comfortable operating. Always be seated when using the throttle with fingers on the brakes. Have fun. I ride to get somewhere, not to have fun.

I decided to junk the ebike after 3-4 years, because I cannot get a battery and it would cost $600. Had a new controller installed for $300. Batteries last two years and controllers three years. They dont tell you this when you buy your bike so, I'm looking for a new non electric bike to last longer.

I have seen these time limits posted several times by this user and they are simply not true. Batteries can easily last 3-5 years, my first one went 6 and battery #2 has already done 2 and is still going strong. If your battery only lasted 2 years either you did not buy enough battery or did not treat it properly. Controllers generally last much longer than three years, 6-8 or more is common. My first controller is already 8 years old.

You should choose an ebike which can accept a generic replacement parts, replacement battery was just over $200, if I need a replacement controller it is less than $60. Avoid brand-name bikes with specialized components.

I have seen these time limits posted several times by this user and they are simply not true. Batteries can easily last 3-5 years, my first one went 6 and battery #2 has already done 2 and is still going strong. If your battery only lasted 2 years either you did not buy enough battery or did not treat it properly. Controllers generally last much longer than three years, 6-8 or more is common. My first controller is already 8 years old.

You should choose an ebike which can accept a generic replacement parts, replacement battery was just over $200, if I need a replacement controller it is less than $60. Avoid brand-name bikes with specialized components.
Okay, I'll get offline. Your truth is way different and good. Mine is unusual to me only thats why I wrote. I live in Hawaii, a high cost, everything imported place. Ebike labor is $60 before they look at it and $60/hr., could cost more than parts with transportation cost. It was nice while it lasted, priced itself out of my market, reality struck my wallet and common sense. I should live where you live. Thankyou for your reality check.

There really is nothing wrong with your bike. Like the other getleman said. use some foam to fill the space around the battery. My RC cars give a little snap all the time and none has ever caused a problem. Go ride it and charge it after it cools down, if it is warm. Then you'ii be all set for the next day.

My Rungu makes a small spark when batteries are plugged in . In my case Rungu assures me this is normal. Be watching for excessive heat coming from batteries or wiring. Do your best to contact company that made the bike. Be Safe

. the cable does an orange electric spark after being reconnected to the bike.

As others have already said, it is perfectly normal for the battery connector to throw a pretty vicious spark when reconnecting the battery if the bike doesn't have a separate battery on/off switch. It is the controller recharging itself.

Tips, don't disconnect the battery to recharge it. When charging turn on the display and if it has a battery level indicator only charge the batter to 90% of its rated voltage and then turn off the charger. Just fully charge when your about to ride. The battery will last longer not fully charging it before putting the bike away. NEVER leave the battery on permanent charge, unless it is one of the expense type which automatically turn themselves off when the battery is fully charged.

If you MUST remove the battery to recharge, you can get 'anti-spark' battery connectors which you can retrofit.

Does not sound safe to me, tbh... You could try selling it and put the money towards a new bike?

Good day. You may want to see about a direct replacement battery if you are not comfortable with the battery you have. (provided the battery you have is not a battery of the same that came originally with the ebike) You could try putting dielectric grease on connectors to see if that helps with the arcing. But your battery should fit properly in the housing that the battery sits in. (so I believe) Mine does not rattle or move around loosely. Hope you figure it out so you can enjoy your bike. Also, touch the battery housing while riding or stop to feel the battery housing. If it gets hot then take battery out and do not use again. If not hot, enjoy your ride. Just keep a check on things. Hopefully a reply from someone can help. This are just my thoughts on it.

Back